Cleveland Air Show

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Cleveland Air Show

Post by 2ndovc »

We were downtown for a wedding Friday night and decided to make an overnight trip out of it and go to the air show. Haven't been to the show for a few years and sounded like a great idea.
Lots going on and a ton of pictures but here's a few.

Gratuitous hot chick picture from the reception on the river. :D

An A10

Under one of the engines of the C-5 Super Galaxy.

Super Cub

Sea Dragon was wicked cool!

One of the P-51s

Loved hearing the Dakota fly by. We used to have several around the small air strips in the area. One of the greatest plane rides I ever had was on a DC-3!

The A-10, long been one of my favorite aircraft, put on a killer display. Mock gatling gun runs and a simulated naplm like gas explosion. I was so caught up in watching, I missed the pictures.

The blue angels are there too, didn't get any good picture of them either. :shock:

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Re: Cleveland Air Show

Post by Thunder50 »

Love the "Warthog". My kind of hardware
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The A10 was a very underrated aircraft but as we know now it's a truly AWESOME piece of kit !

Somewhere I saw that the C5A cargo hold has enough room to hold 5 million ping pong balls but only 3 million golf balls for max take off weight. Hmm imagine 3 million golf balls falling from 35,000 ft into a camp full of (as Six would say) camel jockeys!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

What planes? I didn't see any. Your a lucky man Jason......lots of cool guns and a smokin' hot babe.

Since retiring I've had plenty of time to indulge in history and ww2 aircraft are at the top of my list. A DuPont, Alexis DuPont, who passed away a few years ago, had a mess of WW2 aircraft and his own airport...New London......about 10 miles down the road and he used to fly em all the time. My BIL used to do work for him and one day Mr. DuPont showed him his 20 mm machine gun. My BIL asked him for a live round for his BIL, .....me.....and I still have it. WW2 manufacture. He had P-51's, and a few others.----6...thanks for sharing the cool pics.
Model A Uzi’s
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks Jack, she's a keeper for sure!

The A-10 has always been my favorite modern aircraft. The announcer at the show said something very poignant when the A-10 was taking off. He said he'd lost count of how many veterans he's seen walk up to the front of a Warthog and lovingly reach up and touch the Gatling gun's barrels, like an old dear friend. Quite a machine. :D

jb 8)

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Great pictures jb all around thanks for sharing. 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jason, you two make a stunning couple.

8)

Oh yeah .. Warthog!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Thanks for sharing your unique perspective Steve! My former father-in-law spent years working on the avionics for the C-17. I'll bet he could tell some similar stories.

:lol:
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:31 am Jason, you two make a stunning couple.

8)

Oh yeah .. Warthog!
Bill, that was very nice of you!

Steve,

Wow, stuff like that fascinates me. Every time I see one of those things, I wonder how much thought it took to figure out how to get it off the ground!!

jb 8)

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Great pictures Jason !!!. Yesterday My Wife's Brother invited us down to the E-55th Marina in Cleveland. He has a 26' Sea Ray docked there and took us out on the lake to see the Air show. An unforgettable afternoon that was capped off by the Blue Angles. because the weather was so good they were able to do all the high altitude flying, My Wife hasn't been doing Well lately and it lifted Her spirits tremendously . Thanks for the Post.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I remember seeing the A-10s flying overhead in some of the war games we trained for. Overhead was quite literally at treetop level. We could often see when the pilot was looking at us. They would tip sideways and swap ends to go back the direction they had come from in an unbelievably short distance. Scary! I am still glad they are on our side. Then there were the NOE rides in the UH-60 CrashHawks where the pilots tried to make us sick. Never happened, but they really tried. It sure made me think roller coasters are tame. The Mr Freeze ride at Six Flags in Arlington, TX is the closest I have come to that same feeling of changing direction in a hurry.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I'd love to see a show like that sometime. Seems like I always find out about them after the fact. I'd like to splurge and ride in a B-17, 24 or 25, or maybe even a P51 while some are still around.

On a positive note, I visited the Cord-Dusenburg museum in Auburn, Indiana last Friday. Had been wanting to for a while and the wife and I finally had some time to kill between family gatherings. Just lucked out and hit the Labor Day festival. There were as many Dusenburgs in the parking lot as there were in the museum.
Didn't even begin to have enough time to see all the classics parked downtown
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I'd like to do that as well. There's a small air museum not far from us that has an operable B-25 that we see now and then. They don't offer any rides as of yet, but hoping they will. They also have an old Ford Tri-Motor that was one of the fleet that used to fly to the Erie Islands, They were referred to as a "Tin Goose" around here. Used to see them all time as a kid. You could hear those engines coming for miles!

jb 8)

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The Dusenbergs bodies were farmed out, the family of a shooting buddy of mine had a coach works business, it morphed into car bodies, some Dusenbergs bodies came from them. Now they build bus bodies.

JB, I'm not sure how close you are to the Air Force museum there in Ohio but my " uncle's" DeHavilland Tiger Moth is hanging inside! I can't remember the hours spent at the airport as a kid while Dad and Kurt worked on it. He was even apart of the King Kong on Empire State Building reenactment back in the 70's.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That's cool!

I haven't been there yet but my dad was just there. He came across some original photographs of Eddie Rickenbacker from 1918 and earlier. He's donating them to the museum. The curator said they were an incredible find. I'll put up some scans when he sends them to me.
Pretty wild.

jb 8)

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

My Dad knew Eddie Rickenbacker! Flew with him once if memory serves. Eddie was instrumental in Eastern Airlines, Dad flew for Eastern for 27 years and lost his Pension when that scumbag Lorenzo pulled the rug out from under the company.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That's wild! I'll bug the old man tomorrow about his pictures. :D

jb 8)

KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

vancelw wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:32 pmI'd love to see a show like that sometime. Seems like I always find out about them after the fact. I'd like to splurge and ride in a B-17, 24 or 25, or maybe even a P51 while some are still around.
About the best show of WW-II airplanes is near Virginia Beach each May. It's a private collection with all the airplanes kept in flying condition. Yagen has mentioned his kids aren't interested in the collection, and he's not getting any younger. Go while you can.

Another biggie is the Planes of Fame show in southern CA, also in May each year. I think they put four P-47s in the air the year I was there. Compared to Yagen's show, you are much further from the "action," though.

I rode in a B-17 this year. The Collings Foundation sends the very planes you mentioned across the country ever year, touring the southern states in the spring and returning across the northern states in the summer. You can ride any of them--if there are enough customers to fill the airplane. The B-17 seems to get the most customers, but when they flew through here this summer, at least a half dozen people flew in the P-51.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Guys let me let you in on a little known fact. There are a bunch of small aircraft museums scattered around. And they have some pretty interesting stuff. While Planes of Fame is cool, There is one, the Western Museum of Flight, located at Zamperini (yes, that Zamperini) Field in Torrance Ca. In addition, there is one with an SR-71. That one is the BlackBird AirPark in Palmdale Ca.

My point is these gems are scattered across the county. Likely some in you own backyard.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

COSteve wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:37 pm
jeepnik wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:00 pm Guys let me let you in on a little known fact. There are a bunch of small aircraft museums scattered around. And they have some pretty interesting stuff. While Planes of Fame is cool, There is one, the Western Museum of Flight, located at Zamperini (yes, that Zamperini) Field in Torrance Ca. In addition, there is one with an SR-71. That one is the BlackBird AirPark in Palmdale Ca.

My point is these gems are scattered across the county. Likely some in you own backyard.
I'll second that. In fact, I've done a Google search for all airplane, car, and transportation museums in Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Kansas, and New Mexico and started visiting them just for the heck of it. Some are large but many are small gems.

A real gem is in the middle of Kansas!!! Cosmosphere in Hutchinson Kansas, will blow your doors off with air and space exhibits. An Agena docked to a Soyuz, a V-2, heck, they were the ones who refurbished the Grissom's Liberty Bell 7, capsule after it was found and recovered from the ocean when Grissom blew the capsule hatch too early. I saw it shortly after it was sent to them (what a mess after sitting on the bottom of the ocean for 48 years), and again right after they completed the restoration, and again at the Smithsonian Museum. It's now sitting back in the Cosmosphere in Hutchinson.

Another large gem is Castle Air Museum in Atwater, CA. It has a fantastic outdoor collection including B17, B24, B25, B-26, B-29, B-36, B-50, B-52, as well as a ton of fighters, etc. In fact, they've had an SR-71 you can walk up to and touch for decades as I last visited it in early 1990s.

Google air museums and take the time to visit some close to you. They are worth the trip.

+1 on the Kansas Cosmosphere in Hutchinson! Also worth seeing is the museum in Liberal, KS. The Boeing museum in Seattle is really nice too.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Due to their most famous person from Pancake City, Liberal was slated to get an SR-71 for their air museum. The graduate from the same high school, and the same building for all three of us was Larry D. Welch. He had been Air Force Chief of Staff at one time. The runway at the tiny airport in Liberal proved too short for the SR-71 to land there, and it was given to another museum. I guess they could have landed it in Wichita and trucked it to Liberal. I never did hear why that didn't happen. We used to make small airplanes in Liberal. Things have changed.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

piller wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:40 pm Due to their most famous person from Pancake City, Liberal was slated to get an SR-71 for their air museum. The graduate from the same high school, and the same building for all three of us was Larry D. Welch. He had been Air Force Chief of Staff at one time. The runway at the tiny airport in Liberal proved too short for the SR-71 to land there, and it was given to another museum. I guess they could have landed it in Wichita and trucked it to Liberal. I never did hear why that didn't happen. We used to make small airplanes in Liberal. Things have changed.

For the record, the Kansas Cosmosphere in Hutchinson does in fact have an SR-71 on display there.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Yes, there are many fine little airplane museums around the country. Finding one that puts WW-II fighters and bombers in the air is rare, though. The sounds and smells are worth a little extra effort to reach, I feel.

In the NW, the museum in Hood River, OR is superb for golden age aircraft, and many of them fly, too. For those who like these airplanes, the Antique Aircraft Association meet in IA is fun. This year's gathering finished recently.
Last edited by KWK on Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Great pictures!

Went to your country on a family holiday in 1997 as a kid. We went to the NAS ocenia airshow at Virginia Beach, was really good. The Blue Angles flew there too. I remember dad holding me up to the 30mm cannon on an A10 and I could clearly feel the lands and grooves in one of the barrels with my finger!

Also saw the Confederate Air Force Museum in Midlands Texas (called commemorative air force now) and what a great collection.
Some veterans working on FiFi let dad and I sit in the cockpit of the only flying B29 in the world, now that was special for the both of us!

Also remember seeing the Yankee Lady museum in Michigan they had a B52 you could go see inside and the B17 was pretty cool to see too.

Chris
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...