Marbles tang sight. IMPRESSIVE.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Muddly
Levergunner 1.0

Marbles tang sight. IMPRESSIVE.

Post by Muddly »

Came in the mail today. I will work on pics, but if anyone is considering one of these sights, go for it!
This is my first tang sight. I usually use a receiver sight, but the price of the Marbles was impossible to ignore.$125 for a brand new all steel sight is amazing to me, in this day and age.
The quality of this sight is superb. The machining is outstanding. Nothing rounded off or tool marks, even in concealed places. The polishing is excellent and the blueing very closely matches my rifle's! The adjustments are smooth and the detents are properly tensioned. It folds back and doesn't flex or make stock contact.
Speaking of which, the base does not fully contact the tang until you tighten the screws ( wish they came with as you must order a set). I was worried the sight base would contact the stock. But there is a nice 1/16 gap between the base and the wrist of the stock, so no wood compression.
Other than the lock ring, there isn't a small dainty part on this sight. I've heard tang sights called fragile. But it looks like one would have to try to hurt this one. The 3 supplied apertures are equally well done. The mid size is best for me.
I zeroed using the open sights, but was worried I'd have to get a taller front sight as she shot high with the factory set. Actually, I could probably use a lower sight to get back some elevation adjustment. The way the sight sits is quite deceptive. Its much lower than you'd think.
I'm very happy with this sight. Excellent quality, fit and finish, all steel and doesnt break the bank. Well done Marbles! Great new product from a great old name.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Marbles tang sight. IMPRESSIVE.

Post by piller »

Sounds great. Now you need to try it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I have several of these Marble's tang sights and like them. But a few days ago, right in the middle of a levergun shoot at our local range I pulled the post right off my rifle, dumping the tiny ball bearings into the gravel. So just for grins, every so often you might want to check that little dinky set screw that holds the post on. I checked my others and didn't find a loose one but I will now check them periodically.

And in case you need to know, if you do happen to pull the post off you can place it back on and still shoot OK, but it really messes up your ability to count the "clicks" to adjust between the different ranges when you loose the ball bearings.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Muddly
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Muddly »

Good to know! Thanks. Never really liked the " Plans subject to change without notice" scenario... </:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Muddly wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:26 am
This is my first tang sight. I usually use a receiver sight, but the price of the Marbles was impossible to ignore.$125 for a brand new all steel sight is amazing to me, in this day and age.

I zeroed using the open sights, but was worried I'd have to get a taller front sight as she shot high with the factory set.

Now, you need to get the most out of your tang sight, since it folds - giving your rifle dual zero's.

Using you present.issue front sight blade, replace the rear open sight with a folder, the zero the barrel sights for a relatively close range (say 70 or 100yds).

Then zero the tang sight for a somewhat longer range (say 200yds or whatever).

When hunting, leave the tanger folded and the rear bbl sight "up", in case of suddenly-presented game shots.

If/when game is spotted some distance away, there's been IME ample time to fold the rear bbl sight & rise the tanger for the shot.

Using this system, your limited elevation options become full-range.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pete44ru wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:35 amNow, you need to get the most out of your tang sight, since it folds - giving your rifle dual zero's.

Using you present.issue front sight blade, replace the rear open sight with a folder, the zero the barrel sights for a relatively close range (say 70 or 100yds).

Then zero the tang sight for a somewhat longer range (say 200yds or whatever).

When hunting, leave the tanger folded and the rear bbl sight "up", in case of suddenly-presented game shots.

If/when game is spotted some distance away, there's been IME ample time to fold the rear bbl sight & rise the tanger for the shot.

Using this system, your limited elevation options become full-range.
Yep. I have a couple guns set up that way.

If you can get used to ignoring the barrel-mounted sight for long-range, consider the Marbles "Bullseye" barrel-mounted sight as a replacement for the factory one.

The "Bullseye" is for me the fastest sight ever, whether 'ghost-ring' or fancy $700 holographic. Combine that with a tang sight for the slower long-range sighting, and you have the best of both scenarios.....and 'no batteries needed'. Maybe batteries for a light, if you shoot in the twilight at farm-varmints.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Muddly
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Muddly »

I might get a folding rear sight, for emergency use only. I do ok with opens, but have been hooked on apertures for a long time now. My range has a covered firing line and sight picture with opens is rather good. When I get out in the open...
I did get a dovetail filler too. But it doesn't want to go in. Must work on that. My days of beating things into submission are over...
Another benefit is my sight acquisition is the best I've ever had. I shoulder this rifle and it's right THERE! No effort whatsoever. I've never acquired sights so fast.
I can't wait for bear season! It will be the first big game hunt I can use her for. A 170 grainer at 2200 fps will do nicely!
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

I use the Marbles tang sight on one rifle for two silhouette matches..Found that folding it down to go into the gun case and raising it again for use was moving the horizontal adjustment.The detent spring wasnt strong enough so I installed a spring so stout it takes real strength to move it.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

My Rossi 92/44 has the marble tang & barrel mounted rear folder. As indicated, makes for a very nice sight package. My rear folding sight is adjusted for 75-100 Yards. The tang sight is adjusted for 150-175 Yards.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

My 1951 Winchester 94 has a Marble's tang sight on it. Had it put on in 1958, when I called them to get a insert in different size they told me my sight was classed as an antique. that's why I couldn't find one from midway or Brownels, they sent one to me free of charge.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15