Louis Lamour Westerns - Your favorites

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Louis Lamour Westerns - Your favorites

Post by rock-steady »

I have two nephews turning 12 years old next month. I want to introduce them to Louis L`Amour's westerns. I'm pretty sure they have never even heard of Louis L`Amour and may have never even read a paperback book, what with smartphones, computers & x-box etc.

If you had to pick two of his westerns, what would be your selections?
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Louis Lamour Westerns - Your favorites

Post by GunnyMack »

I have read probably 90% of his work. Normally read a couple books each time we would hit our camp in Quebec. Can not remember any of his titles... however I'd say any of his work is worth reading.

When I was a kid an aunt gave me a complete collection of Zane Grey. All hard cover.
I have this uncanny ability to fall asleep when I read anymore! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I have them all. Read them furiously for years. My dad and son too.
For a kid, maybe one of the books of short stories. "Bowdrie" comes to mind.
I still remember the first one I ever read. "To Tame a Land".
"Sackett" is good. Also a movie so they can compare.
If he is not sure about westerns, start him with "Last of the Breed", Haunted Mesa", or some short story collections of adventure (sorry, no titles come to mind right now).
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Rainbow Canyon. And of course the book to which it is the sequel. How many know which book that was?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

I'm a voracious reader and it took a little over 42 years and nigh on a $1000 (even at thrift store pricing) to do it but I think I finally read them all !

What did I learn other than wasting time.....They are just about all the same with just the proper nouns changed to make them different....

Lamour had a penchant for having the protagonist have to come to town and visit a gunsmith to have a broken firing pin on a dragoon colt replaced.....a realistic impossibility.....the first book I read that scenario I attributed it to a gun ignorant copy editor, thinking that Lamour had originally written "bent cylinder pin" and the editor had thought he was smarter than the author but it occurred again and again.....another possibility was that Lamour was thinking "broken or battered hammer nose" .....

another recurring theme in several books is a hussy, viewed in profile will catch the protagonist's eye but when viewed at closer range and straight on he finds her "too wide of mouth and too narrow between the eyes for true beauty".....just the other day I saw an otherwise winning young lady that fit that description....
m.A.g.a. !
Woodtroll
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodtroll »

My overall favorites are the Sacketts series; if I had to narrow it down to two it would be "Sackett" and "The Sackett Brand", which focuses on Tell Sackett. Reading the novels, I am picturing Sam Elliott, who played the role in the TV movie already mentioned. These two books also focused on the value of family, which is reason enough to read the books.

If I could name a third for a teen, it would be "Ride the River", told from the perspective of an Appalachian teenage girl who was pretty tough and feisty in her own right.

L'Amour wasn't perfect, but he was pretty sharp and visited the places he told about. He also spent a lot of time talking about moral values and right and wrong; I always thought many of his books would be great teaching tools for teenagers. My daughter loved the books, but my son never was much of a reader. I have some forced down time coming up do to surgery and I hope to read through the whole series again.

Good luck!
Regan
Running the ridges and rivers of Virginia's southern Appalachians
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

jeepnik wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:44 pm Rainbow Canyon. And of course the book to which it is the sequel. How many know which book that was?
I can't find reference to that one.....dark canyon and silver canyon but no rainbow one so far.....
m.A.g.a. !
goldstar225
Levergunner

Post by goldstar225 »

I became a L'Amour fan when I was 15 (46 years ago) Aside from some improbable shooting feats I still like and re-read his books and have all but 14 of the "leatherette" volumes.

My clear favorite is "The Daybreakers" for a second choice you may try one of the volumes of short stories to provide some diversity.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I always liked the Sackett series Lonely on the Mountain was probably my favorite.
I still have 40 or 50 of them .
I read most of them in 7th and 8th grade study hall. One book a day.
I quit when I read one and recognized the plot. I dug out the other book and they were identical plots: different settings and different character names, but same story.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

It's almost ironic that the last book that he wrote was THE LAST OF THE BREED. It's about an American Indian that was a pilot flying a plane that was wanted by the USSR. The plane was forced into their air space where they could force it down and take control of it. The pilot then has to use his woodsman's skills to escape and evade capture.
I also like the Sacket series.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It is also more of an 'Eastern' since much of the action takes place in China, but I really liked "Last of the Breed"

"Walking Drum" is also a non-Western now that I think of it that I really liked.

In the more traditional ones, any of the Sackett series I like.

While you're introducing them to 'Western' literature, consider some of the James Thom novels - they are set more in the Midwest, but as historic fiction they are a great way to introduce 'history' and make it FUN. I'd suggest "Sign Talker" or "Panther in the Sky" or "Long Knife" for starters.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

You could much worse starting them reading. The books by Lamour are what I started reading back in 1953 when I was about 14 years old and riding my horse everyday before the school bus came by. Check online for a list in order of time written. Another good series is "The trail of the Spanish Bit "it is about the early Spanish explorers and one man and his horse joining a tribe that has never seen a white man and horse, probably 12 or 15 books in that series and it is not nasty either.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

I'd second the recommendatio for Bowdrie. I'd also add Down the Long Hills (also a movie).

Guns of the Timberland was my favorite.

I enjoy his books but I also agree that his stories are repetitive in some ways.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

anyone remember one with a modern setting about sasqua ?.....I remember reading it in the early '90s.....it was kind of spooky and the sasqua were more supernatural than cryptid and were what the lakota described as beaver who after entering their lodges went underground as "men" and sometimes came to the surface at night to do mischief to other tribes and palefaces.....
m.A.g.a. !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Flint is my favorite. Based on a what if scenario from a real incident. At a saloon, some gunfighter was caught by several cowboys from a ranch and two of them grabbed him and held his arms out to the side while 3 or 4 others shot and killed him. When their guns ran empty, a young man known to the bartender and who was known to have Tuberculosis, stood up and stated that the man they had just murdered had been his friend. He had pulled two revolvers as he said it then commenced to kill 3 or 4 of them and wound the rest. He then left and rode off never to be heard from again. He probably died from TB soon after that. Louis L'Amour used a what if he survived and went East scenario for the book.

Reilly's Luck, The Man Called Noon, The Man From Skibbereen, Bendigo Shafter, Milo Talon, Ride The Dark Trail, Fair Blows The Wind, Rivers West, Westward The Tide, To Tame A Land, Mustang Man, The Broken Gun, The Haunted Mesa, Sackett's Land, To The Far Blue Mountains, Jubal Sackett, The Walking Drum, Last Of The Breed, Down The Long Hills, The Sackett Brand, The Sky Liners, The High Graders, Utah Blaine, The Rider Of Lost Creek, Kilkenny, Showdown at Yellow Butte, Silver Canyon, Hondo, Sitka, Killoe, Mojave Crossing, The Man From The Broken Hills, North To The Rails, and Dark Canyon are all good. L'Amour may not have been a gun guy, but his eye for terrain features and his knowledge of the West were well worth your time. He tried to work fist fights into his books due to his having been a professional prizefighter for a while. He won 51 out of 59 professional fights. In several books, the Hero forgets his guns and starts beating on the bad guys with fists. L'Amour was a decent researcher. He often went and found old passenger lists, Hotel Registers, Newspapers, and even talked to the Old Timers he could find who remembered the stories of the West. A bunch of his stories are loosely based on real events. Some more loosely than others. Comstock Lode is loosely based on a real silver mining strike. He seemed to know some geology, and some of the terms as related to mining. Whether or not it was just some knowledge obtained from listening to someone who had done it for a living, or maybe knowledge obtained from actual experience was never clear to me. However, I used to enjoy reading his books. I still do occasionally pull one off the shelf and read it again.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Ray wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:36 pm anyone remember one with a modern setting about sasqua ?.....I remember reading it in the early '90s.....it was kind of spooky and the sasqua were more supernatural than cryptid and were what the lakota described as beaver who after entering their lodges went underground as "men" and sometimes came to the surface at night to do mischief to other tribes and palefaces.....
Haunted Mesa.

Kinda neat I thought.
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

I like the "Last of His Breed"" The guy ended up being a fur trapper in Siberia.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
Tanqueray
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Tanqueray »

Rusty wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:00 pm It's almost ironic that the last book that he wrote was THE LAST OF THE BREED. It's about an American Indian that was a pilot flying a plane that was wanted by the USSR. The plane was forced into their air space where they could force it down and take control of it. The pilot then has to use his woodsman's skills to escape and evade capture.
I also like the Sacket series.
I had absolutely no idea who y’all were talking about, but I recognise the plot of that book and have read it some years ago. So by default that’s my pick.
More meplat, more better.
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

Hondo would be a great choice - plus you can then introduce him to John Wayne!
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

Thanks for the replies. One reason I want my nephews to read Louis L`Amour is the moral lessons he put in almost every book. The good guy does the right thing at the right time and usually prevails in the end.

My two favorites are Hondo and Flint.
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

rock-steady wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:18 am Thanks for the replies. One reason I want my nephews to read Louis L`Amour is the moral lessons he put in almost every book. The good guy does the right thing at the right time and usually prevails in the end.

My two favorites are Hondo and Flint.
That's why I started my son on em years ago. He has em all too.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Not a good choice for youngsters, but of the handful of his titles I have read, I most enjoyed his autobiographical "Education of a Wandering Man." He lived an amazing life and never lost his thirst for knowledge.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've read a lot of Louis Lamour, and can't say as I have a favorite. I'd say any of them would be good reading if the reader is open to a good western, by him.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Ray wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:35 pm
jeepnik wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:44 pm Rainbow Canyon. And of course the book to which it is the sequel. How many know which book that was?
I can't find reference to that one.....dark canyon and silver canyon but no rainbow one so far.....
It's the sequel to this little known book, "Riders of the Purple Sage".
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Woodtroll
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodtroll »

jeepnik wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:55 pm
That was a Zane Gray novel; I think the sequel to that one was “The Rainbow Trail” or “The Desert Crucible “? I don’t have any recollection of Louis L’Amour having a “Rainbow Canyon”, but could certainly be wrong.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Woodtroll wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:21 pm
That was a Zane Gray novel; I think the sequel to that one was “The Rainbow Trail” or “The Desert Crucible “? I don’t have any recollection of Louis L’Amour having a “Rainbow Canyon”, but could certainly be wrong.
Now it makes sense.....B.T.W. much of Grey's work is in the public domain now hence downloadable for free.....
m.A.g.a. !
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

My bad mixed my writers.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Woodtroll
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodtroll »

Easily done, I can certainly understand that (although L'Amour is by far my favorite over Grey!)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Wasn't "Rainbow Canyon" the book version of "Brokeback Mountain".... :shock: :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

AJMD429 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:09 pm Wasn't "Rainbow Canyon" the book version of "Brokeback Mountain".... :shock: :lol:
Nope, all the men were straight and had women with them. But I can understand how a member of the AMA might get confused.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Kilkenny or any of the Sackett series. I've read everything of his that in print, even his collections of short stories published posthumously.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Fisher-Price
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Fisher-Price »

Yeah, I have the Leatherett series. Could have bought a Winchester or 3🤣
I liked reading him when I was young. As an adult a lot of the same as has been mentioned
I did like the Sacketts, his early setting works when they settled in Carolina, The Warriors Path and Jubal Sackett. Definitely Walking drum and Haunted Mesa for a different flavor as well as Sitka. Night over The Solomon’s short stories set in the Far East.

As for a kid? How about Ride the River about Echo Sackett, Over on the Dry Side, The proving trail, Killoe all young people based.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

jeepnik wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:49 pm

My bad mixed my writers.
Grey went into more detail of the character and their thoughts and emotions. More of an old fashioned type of story. L'Amour went into more action and description of the land features. A more modern style. They each were the best of their era. They were both clean and family friendly. They both had the main character be a good person, even if they might have to have the character show a change of heart. In the book "Fallon", L'Amour has the main character start out as a gambler and scam artist. He ends with the main character having a change of heart and becoming a hero.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Looking back forty five plus years, I read every Louis L'Amour book I could get my hands on, on both tours to SE Asia on Navy destroyers. When a new book showed up on board, the waiting list grew long right away as we were starved to read about anything, but the Louis L"Amour westerns were the gold standard of all books. Heck, we even read Playboy.

I would honestly have to review the list of books and ponder this question for some time - as most were excellent reading. "Sitka" and "Comstock" were thick books and for some reason stand out in what's left of my memory. A friend of mine owns the entire collection in hardbound books. He was Navy too.

Vic
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

TraderVic wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:26 am Looking back forty five plus years, I read every Louis L'Amour book I could get my hands on, on both tours to SE Asia on Navy destroyers. When a new book showed up on board, the waiting list grew long right away as we were starved to read about anything, but the Louis L"Amour westerns were the gold standard of all books. Heck, we even read Playboy.

I would honestly have to review the list of books and ponder this question for some time - as most were excellent reading. "Sitka" and "Comstock" were thick books and for some reason stand out in what's left of my memory. A friend of mine owns the entire collection in hardbound books. He was Navy too.

Vic

When the chest freezer in the ward room mess crapped-out circa 1986 and was going to be tossed overboard into the north atlantic, MR1 Jansen, our ship's librarian had it moved into the forward enlisted lounge and filled with his donated paperbooks......Lamoore (the real surname) books predominated......
m.A.g.a. !