34C sight height on a 94

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gary4242
Levergunner

34C sight height on a 94

Post by Gary4242 »

Hi All,
Can anyone confirm that the sight height of the first blade is .265
I have removed a damaged 3 leaf sight and put on a #64 lyman but cant get it low enough even without the ramp. I do not want to play with the front pinned sight.

It is low enough with the notched blade removed........ any suggestions.
Thanks Gary
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 34C sight height on a 94

Post by Pete44ru »

It sounds like the front sight blade got itself shortened after it left the factory, by some method or another.

I can't confirm the 34C blade height, but can tell you that 'playing' with the pinned front sight blade is E-Z-Peazy (having done so on several different rifles).

Just drift out the pin that retains the sight blade in the base.

If the blade has no bead, the top can be built up (.10" more should do it)

I find the amount by test firing the rifle @ 100yds with a section of a paper clip taped to the blade's side, shortening the end of the paper clip if it shoots too low, or using a longer section if the POI's too low.

Alternatively, as I did with my ca.1914 .03 Savage Model 1899, I bought (online) a Lyman Ivory Bead front sight blade meant for sporterizing a 1903 US Springfield, and ground it down slightly to the pre-determined correct/zero front sight height before sliding the blade into the front sight base blade slot, clamping it there - and cross-drill the base with a sacrificial 1/16' drill bit, using the original pin holes as guides. (a new pin is easily ground to length from the shank of the sacrificial drill bit)

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Like Pete said, the block and pin sights are the best. You can do whatever you like for a sight.
I prefer a post in front. I use old Master Lock keys as the thickness is close. Form them how I want, leave it a little high, and file the height to zero.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Gary4242
Levergunner

Post by Gary4242 »

Front sight 1894.jpg
Thanks guys........ I guess I am off to the gunsmith.... I have attached a photo......... it looks like a tall front sight to me........ but what do I know?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I dont know the specifics of the factory front sight height on early type carbines, but there is a good study of sights here, with height info for various calibers. Carbine front sight height varied by caliber. its a 5 part pictorial, so will take a little time to work through, but is excellent info. Id suggest looking at all 5 parts of the study before doing anything to the gun, there may be info in another section that may be of use.

https://winchestercollector.org/forum/w ... s+Project/
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Malamute wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:16 am
I dont know the specifics of the factory front sight height on early type

FWIW, the OP first asked what the height of the first blade of his 3-blade 34C rear sight should be.

We only got into front sight height when we started discussing replacing his pinned-in front sight blade with a taller one.

Since the factory used different front sight heights, it obvious that he's going to have to figure out how tall his front sight will need to be, in order to zero his M-94 with the existing 3-leaf rear sight - then fashion or buy a front sight blade of that height.

The hard part is determining the correct height needed; the easiest is to pin the new sight blade to the front sight block.

Gary4242
Levergunner

Post by Gary4242 »

FYI.........Just and update to those who commented on my post.

It turns out that the original 3 leaf express height from the barrel to the bottom of the V notch in the first (50) leaf is .220 in

The lowest my blade in the new lyman #64 will go to is .275

I was able to get it sighted in but had to remove the blade, and ramp from the sight.

I guess I will look at a new front blade after hunting season.