Cowboy Fast Draw

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Fisher-Price
Levergunner 2.0

Cowboy Fast Draw

Post by Fisher-Price »

Any of you ever play with fast draw? Looks interesting with wax bullets and shotgun primers.

I broke the hands my colt frontier scout .22 as a teen and learned to how replace them. Finally got a super single six and finally broke it after thousands of draws, replaced those hands too. Never with live ammo just playing in the mirror. My old gun belt has shrunken considerably :mrgreen:

I’m not interested in competing just something to do when it’s too dark or raining and I can play in the barn when I can’t get outside to shoot.

Would a vaquero be better? I have a 3rd gen Colt that was my Dads, he shot it frequently so it’s already got plenty of battle scars, holster wear, bluing loss, scratches, etc. I also think it needs work anyway, it doesn’t feel right when cocking. It shoots low left and the front sight is already bent to the right and it is still way left. I was thinking it may be a good candidate for fast draw tuning. Not fanning more Hollywood style.

Who currently does good work for tuning this?

Thanks

Fisher-Price
Ysabel Kid

Re: Cowboy Fast Draw

Post by Ysabel Kid »

About 40 years ago I started doing cowboy fast draws. I wasn't real fast - took me about a 1/2 second to draw and fire my gun - but it was a Ruger Super Blackhawk with the "standard" 7.5" barrel. I could hit a regular piece of paper at 7 yards all the time (figured that was the size of a man's chest). Yes, practicing with real ammunition. Until one day, trying to improve my speed, I launched a 240-grain round about an inch from my right foot. I decided I didn't need to work on that skill any longer! :shock: :shock: :shock:
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

As a teenager, I spent a lot of .22 ammo practicing drawing my S&W M18 from my home made holster and shooting from the hip at tin cans on a log or the ground. Though I became pretty quick and accurate, my best was hitting 5 of 6 cans. 3 or 4 cans became easy, and 5 not too uncommon, but hitting all 6 always eluded me.
IIRC, it was all double action. I did not learn to use the sights until after college, but that did slow me down.

PS Model 18 never broke and is still as accurate as ever, but has slowed down a bit. :wink:
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Fisher-Price, you asked about a smith for your Colt SAA. I think the best is Alan Hartan in Houston. He has done a bunch of work for me.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

I looked into joining a club. It looks like a lot of fun! But in the end I talked myself out of it. I know me, sooner rather than later I'd want to try my new skill with live ammo and probably end up ventilating my boot!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I bought my first revolver at almost 40 years old, so I never played around with fast draw. As a teenager, I used to practice getting my shotgun to my shoulder fast. We hunted pheasant out where I grew up, and in the first few days of hunting season they would wait to jump up and fly off until you almost stepped on them. To have a feathered bomb suddenly explode into the air with a loud cackle from 2 feet away was sure to get your heart racing and rattle your nerves. The practice paid off by training my nerves to respond by putting the shotgun into proper firing position. Number 7.5 shot worked great in the early part of the season because it killed just fine without penetrating so deeply that you couldn't find and dig out the pellets while cleaning the birds later. AA trap loads in number 8 or 9 also worked perfectly. Only in the later part of the season when the birds started breaking cover further out did we go to full choke and number 5 shot to reach out and touch them. We still had to get the gun to our shoulder quickly or the pheasant would get out of range. Some of the men out there had enough years and practice at it that they could fire, reload, and fire again at a second bird to get 2 pheasant or 2 quail on a flush while using a single shot break action shotgun. They were not the rule, but they were not lone exceptions. That sort of speed and accuracy would have translated over to any type of firearm that they would have used or carried often. In one Uncle's case, it got him through WWII from El Alamein to the Battle of the Bulge. He didn't talk about it to anyone except for the other men who had been there. When I was a kid I saw him shoot. He had forgotton how to miss, and he was faster than anyone else that I had ever seen. He would throw his own clay pigeons and shoot them with his old pump action 12 gauge with the exposed hammer. I never saw him miss.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost