Marbles tang sight on the way

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Muddly
Levergunner 1.0

Marbles tang sight on the way

Post by Muddly »

Can NOT wait! I took my Model 99 EG 30-30 out with a new load. A 170 grain Speer over 35 gr of CFE223. Got 2280 fps! Same load with a 170 Sierra gave 2230 fps. With the open sights, she gave a 10 shot 1 1/4 inch 50 yard group. I expect improvement with the Marbles on board.
This Savage is an impressive rifle! Not bad for 81 years old. The rifle, not me!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marbles tang sight on the way

Post by crs »

The Marbles folding tang peep goes well with their folding barrel sight.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Muddly wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:59 pmNot bad for 81 years old. The rifle, not me!
That's ok, when you're 81, you'll think the same!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Muddly, I really like the Speer 170 for .30 WCF handloads. Until the Hornady gummy tips came along, it had the best ballistic coefficient of all the usual suspects. That said, I killed both my .30-30 blacktails with Sierra 150s and IMR 3031 way back when.
Muddly
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Muddly »

Bill
My rifle likes the 150 and 170 Sierras too. I've taken several deer with the Sierra 150s and Hornady 150s as well. Haven't tried the FTXs yet. I'm interested in keeping things " traditional" as far as bullet weights, types and velocities go. My late buddy took several deer with FTXs both the 160 gr 30 cal and 200 gr 35 caliber. Factory loads both and the results.were " Spectacular".
My previous experiences with the 30-30 were at typical carbine velocities. I'm curious to see how full factory level velocities do with the same bullets.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Don't know how many years your eyes have been sitting in your head but if your young or middle aged you won't see much of a difference at 50 yards but a slight betterment at 100 and beyond......the further the better your groups will be. If your semi old like me (64) you will see a somewhat drastic betterment at about any range. I have tang sights on all of my working leverguns and old pumps. Receiver sights or scopes get installed on everything I can't put a tang sight on.

If you like to shoot, get yourself some cast bullets. I think nothing of shooting a hundred rds. of ammo from each gun I take to the gun club which is usually 3-5 guns on a standard plinkfest day.

The 30-30 loves cast bullets and I run mine about 16-1800 with no leading. I have two early 1899's in 30-30....model C with half oct/rd and the below pictured A that was made in 1910....beer can accuracy to 200 and quart sized malt liquors to 300 meters.
(I think I got those Model letters right...can't remember all those letters anymore....Savage gets confusing)---6

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Muddly
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Muddly »

Have had these eyes 55 years. Things are getting a bit fuzzy though. New glasses on the horizon, I guess.
Have passed on several nice rifles because of fuzzy front sights. This little Savage is on the border of that. Thankfully, the proper aperture diameter gives a slight, but very useful magnifying effect on both front sight and target.
Been thinking about cast bullets for quite some time. Perhaps the time has come. I cast for my frontstuffers, but have zero experience with them in breechloaders. A 170 cast and a case full of Trail Boss could be nice and easy on me and the barrel...
Nice M99's by the way!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Muddly let me beat him to the punch...he is going to have a great load using 5744. The thing is....they really do work well.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

fordwannabe wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:03 am Muddly let me beat him to the punch...he is going to have a great load using 5744. The thing is....they really do work well.
Muddly,
Pay no attention to the guy above me. He's a member of the "fast and furious" team that fluctuates between Ford Mustangs and
Eric Holder. :D Really, he is right, 19 grains of 5744 and any grain cast bullet will make you think your shooting factory stuff at about 1/15th of the cost. Even 7-9 grains of Unique, loose in the case will give ya an afternoon of fun.

Your 55? That's about when my focus started to go. It will get progressively worse until your about 60-62 then level off. I've been told it gets worse again later in life...dunno.....get those tang sights while you still have the enthusiasm.----6

Muddly
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Muddly »

The sight should be here late this week or early next. Been using aperture sights almost exclusively for 20 years. I have not found them wanting in any situation I've found myself in. Had a British No4 Mk2 that I could puch 6 inch groups at 300 yards with decent regularity.
I think a lot of folks are missing out on a very satisfying experience by not trying aperture or open sights. It was Larry Kohler's book " Shots at Whitetails" that got me to try, and got me hooked ,on the aperture sight.
Just one man's opinion.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

ERIC HOLDER! I may may be a no good dirty rotten fat old son of a sea cook but WOW that’s low, Buddy :shock:
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Tom,
Your welcome ole pal.......hey, come up to the gunclub on Sat.....we are having a handgun silhouette match.....all play, no NRA book...50..60..75 and 100 meters...40 shot match, open to the public......any kind of a handgun...Single, double, single shot, semi auto, open sight or scope.---6