My time in the gun trade.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

My time in the gun trade.

Post by gamekeeper »

My time at Westley Richards was mostly hard work, most of what I did as a barrel filer was by hand and you needed a good eye for detail, nobody likes a top rib off centre or barrels that look almost corrugated when looking down them. However all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
As requested by Old No 7 just a few of the tricks we got up to… :oops:
Some of the tricks we got up to were to protect our tea & coffee machine from the tool room guys down stairs, when their machine ran out they raided our gun room machine, often leaving us without tea or coffee. So having a key to the machine I put a Alka Seltzer tablet in every other cup, when the tool room guys bought a coffee it foamed like crazy, while they stared at their foaming cup one of us gun workers would buy a cup that of course was OK, the guy with the foaming coffee would then buy another cup which of course foamed again so we would again jump in quick for a normal cup, this went on for some time and they never found out why, eventually they decided to leave our machine alone.
Black powder was readily available so if anyone was away from their bench long enough we would put a small amount of it under their bench, a line of thin cordite made a good fuse and when they started work again the fuse would be lit and moments later PUFF they disappeared in a cloud of smoke.
The manager Roy Hill had lost a hand in an accident with a harpoon gun, his office was directly behind my bench, Roy was a heavy smoker and his ashtray was always full, one day I sprinkled some black powder in his ashtray PUFF cigarette ends all over his desk, Roy turns to me and says " the buggers know I only have one hand and they are trying to blow that one off".
The apprentice gunsmith Ian Jackson was always doing work for his self during the lunch break, mostly hot blueing gunparts on a gas ring, it took a long time before the black powder in the gas ring exploded but the results were quite dramatic for Ian.
We would always try to shoot any unusual guns that came our way, back in the 60s Italian cap n ball revolvers were new to us so finding a 1851 Navy and without lead balls we just loaded it with BP and tissue paper, it worked well but half an hour later we noticed the overalls hanging on a hook that we had used as a target were smoking rather well, there were six big smoldering holes from embedded tissue paper.
One of our jobs was to destroy unwanted powder, good fun but not very interesting" unless "you put the powder in a sealed tin, Ian and I managed to completely make the gun range and carpark disappear in a thick cloud of smoke not realizing the managing director was watching from his office.
In the barrel makers shop we had a framed photo from about 1900 of two directors dressed in tweed on a fishing trip, they were making tea over a camp fire, their car, an old Renault, was behind them, I found, don't ask where, a photo of a naked lady that when I cut her out fitted perfectly leaning on the Renault, the managing director did however think that was very funny.
I guess health and safety would have us hung drawn and quartered nowadays but no one died.... :wink:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My time in the gun trade.

Post by GunnyMack »

Now that's how to keep the workplace FUN!
One of my gunsmithing instructors, Leonard Bull started at Westley, IIRC. I think by the time you were there he was in So. Africa.
Sadly I heard Bull has passed. He was a great story teller! Whenever he got riled. Up he would cuss a blue streak in SWAHILI. We didn't know what he was saying but it was funny!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Great stories! :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Guys could have fun at work before all the wimmins got all PC... :evil: Before I retired from the Army in '92 it had already gotten all FUBAR as far as good old male bonding....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

gamekeeper wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:07 pm I guess health and safety would have us hung drawn and quartered nowadays but no one died.... :wink:
At the very least, HR would have a conniption fit over you having fun... they are like that! :roll:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sounds as if you enjoyed working there.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

piller wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:50 am Sounds as if you enjoyed working there.
Yes it was quite an experience, I had been reading American gun mags since I was a little kid with no chance of seeing all the great guns I was reading about, then all of a sudden I'm surrounded by Winchesters, Colts Smith & Wesson's, Lugers etc etc I thought I was in heaven.
The work was interesting too.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

gamekeeper wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:07 pm As requested by Old No 7 just a few of the tricks we got up to… :oops:
That was great John, thanks for taking the time to do it. I'll bet you chuckled again while thinking of those tricks!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Wonderful good fun, Gamekeeper! You guys went the extra mile with your practical jokes.

:lol: