LASER RANGE FINDER

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

LASER RANGE FINDER

Post by jeepnik »

I have an old cheap Bushnell. But I'm looking to upgrade. Looking to spend around $500 maybe a little more. Any suggestions?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: LASER RANGE FINDER

Post by GunnyMack »

That new system that Sig has seem like a winner. It pairs range finder,scope and phone app. However its pricey!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

My Bushnell binocs rangefind out over 1600 yards, but go for more than you asked. Good big country glasses though.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I had a Leupold rangefinder that I only got to use for about a month before I lost it on a hunting trip. It worked pretty good. I recently bought a Sig Kilo2000. I love it. It is very fast and very accurate. You can find them online for about $355 I believe.
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

I second the Sig Kilo 2000. I bought mine on the advice of two friends: one builds custom long-range rifles and the other owns a store which mainly deals in reloading equipment and supplies. It cost roughly $350 on Amazon and I have ranged up to 1,000 yards with ease. Haven't really tried any greater distances. Based upon my limited usage with this piece of equipment it is a 10 Star Winner! Using this rf with a free ballistic app-like Bullet Drop, is much cheaper than the Kilo 2400 which runs well over $1,000 . The reloading guy told me there was no use to spend the extra money for the difference I would gain. I bought it for use with my new Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. Talk about a shooter ! Wow, I like it.

Good luck.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

There's a number of them on the market and most work well. I have a Nikon Rifleman 1000, which is no longer made, but I've been happy with it. I just wanted something relatively small and that offered the ability to compensate for angles shooting up or down hill.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I had a laser rangefinder for quite some time, but rarely used it. Seemed like whenever I got on game I needed to decide quickly if I should take the shot or not. So no time to add in ranging them. I finally sold it to a friend.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

marlinman93 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:01 pm I had a laser rangefinder for quite some time, but rarely used it. Seemed like whenever I got on game I needed to decide quickly if I should take the shot or not. So no time to add in ranging them. I finally sold it to a friend.
Yotes are getting sketchy where I normally go. I want to get some good ranges to known objects. They aren't coming as closes as I'd like so I'm having to up my game. I swear if you breath hard they can either hear you or see you (in full dark even) at 400 yds. And that's when they are up wind.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I have a Leica 1000 (at the house in AK) and just bought a Sig 2000 for under $300 on sale it works so well with the new scanning system was able to mark targets out to 2500 yards. Give it a try and look for the sale.
It is not the critic who counts
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The only one I ever had was a Bushnell and in the thick timber it would false read on trees between me and the target.....I had to be very careful. :evil:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

My second range finder is a VTX Ranger, my first one did not work well enough to rely on. I have not used this one
on game yet, I'm hoping it is better but the times I have been in front of game to shoot I did not have time to use
it. I'm hoping to have built into my scope someday, but you know how expensive those are present day. Does anyone
have a scope with one built in that they have used ?
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

jeepnik wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:56 pm
marlinman93 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:01 pm I had a laser rangefinder for quite some time, but rarely used it. Seemed like whenever I got on game I needed to decide quickly if I should take the shot or not. So no time to add in ranging them. I finally sold it to a friend.
Yotes are getting sketchy where I normally go. I want to get some good ranges to known objects. They aren't coming as closes as I'd like so I'm having to up my game. I swear if you breath hard they can either hear you or see you (in full dark even) at 400 yds. And that's when they are up wind.
Yotes are such a big target for my rifle that I never worried about the distance unless it a lot further than 400 yds. My Rem. 700 VSF in .22-250 has always shot less than 1 MOA at 100 yds., and shoots so flat that I'd only want a range finder for ground squirrels at that distance. Taking yotes at 400 yds. with it is not much of a problem unless it's pretty windy, and a range finder wont help me judge wind.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/