H&R single action top break 9 shot

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

H&R single action top break 9 shot

Post by Old Savage »

This is top end primo from the 30s.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: H&R single action top break 9 shot

Post by Sixgun »

OS,
A man of your class and prestige who values top notch quality with an H&R? :D

(ok, they are reliable...from what I hear)----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Old Savage wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:03 pm This is top end primo from the 30s.

UMMM, is there supposed to be a pic involved? :wink:
Merle from PA
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well Merle, not yet, waiting period etc.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Old Savage wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:59 pm Well Merle, not yet, waiting period etc.

OK, I didn't clue in on the fact you didn't have it yet.... :oops:
Merle from PA
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, sure you would like this gun.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Old Savage wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:41 pm Six, sure you would like this gun.
No. I have an image to upkeep. Winchester, Colt, S&W, Ruger, Marlin....in that order. :D

Only busting OS, I've seen plenty of them and their owners were happy. They make great camp/trail guns.

Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

They DO work and in that timeframe had surprisingly good workmanship and finish. Later they finish fell off, but they are still nice handguns if you like top breaks (I DO). The single actions were especially well made and tuned for target shooting and often had oversized Roper-style walnut stocks.

The "Achilles heel" of the H&R is that the action components are pinned into the frame. That isn't a problem as long as nothing goes wrong, but when a repair is needed, you really need to know what you're doing.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, you do have the rep, the rest kiss the ring. As Mike says excellent workmanship on this example.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

:-;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

O.S,
My ring has been kissed so many times in South Philly and Chicago I was thinking of heading to southern California for the kissing to continue.....can you hook me up with some of the "soft stuff" that is in abundance in your town?

Hey , how did we get from H&R gun stuff to the soft stuff? Maybe I'll just make a face with an orange. Loved that movie, reminded me of a relative or two. ----6

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

One Uncle had one of those top break .22s, and he had used enough that it wore the main spring out. There was also a .38 caliber made by H&R, and he had the pistol repaired with the more powerful spring. It was still working up to the time of his death. I do not know which relative ended up with it, but it was a well cared for and often used gun which shot to point of aim for all of us who were allowed to fire it. It wasn't a target pistol, but it was accurate and solid. No I would not take it over a Colt or a Smith & Wesson, but one might find its way to my house if some gun show would have one in good shape for a reasonable price.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Some years back I got to shoot a friend of mine's. Was a danged accurate pistol but not very pretty, his grandfather had used it as a trap line gun and had not taken good care of the finish. The bore and mechanicals all were well maintained though.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well Six, those are shots I took of the TV while reading your comments while the movie was on. :) One of those coincidences.

Piller, this one is perfect. Windage on the front sight, elevation on the rear, a very interesting piece that showed up out of a friend's collection.

Six, hadn't seen a friend I played football with in college until I saw him on television walking into court, one of John Gotti's attorneys.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

This will be my third gun from the 30's. The other two are comprised by a Marlin 410 and a Czech made Polish Mauser in 8 mm.

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I have an H&R Sportsman from 1933.
Draglinefull.jpg
I got it as a present from my mom years ago. When I got it was almost new with mint bluing and minimal wear. It is accurate, has an excellent set of sights that were dead on for me from the start.
The late B. Goforth (Hope I got the name right) helped me date it. He also said that at that age I should refrain from shooting High Speed or High Velocity ammo from it as that was the time when when that ammo was being introduced and my pistol was not upgraded for it.
The only thing I dislike about it is the sharp groves in the trigger face. If you shoot it DA it will cut your finger.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

My old 4" 999 is of better quality than most of what comes down the pike today. These were built by craftsmen, not a machine and the lowest paid labor available.

By the way, the 999 was considered a pretty good target revolver in its day.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

J Miller
Shooting gloves are prescribed. Check with AJMD.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Those early/mid production H&R 999 Sportsman top breaks DO have a certain elegance to them, Fred - very reminiscent of an earlier age.

They're different enough that many pooh-pooh them, until they actually own/shoot one.

I hope that Doc (AJMD429) chimes in soon about the one he bought from me several years ago (I used to change guns like I changed pants).

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

The one Joe has looks like that nice pre war finish. You would think H&R ....at the time.......would streamline the grips a bit. Americans like streamlined everything.......it has to have "that look". ----6

Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

Those oversized Roper-style target grips make the revolver LOOK a little fat. But like a Colt Bisley, the payoff is in how they FEEL when you are shooting one-handed slow fire standing up on your hind legs!
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

As a kid I was given a used 999 by an uncle -- that would have been 50 or so years ago, and I have no idea how old the gun was when I got it. It was one of the two most accurate .22 revolvers I ever owned, and fit and finish were comparable to a S&W in every way. If I came across one in decent shape at a decent price I would take it home today.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

This is a model 650, large grips, two cylinders, very utilitarian.

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

OS, I had one of the 650 in long rifle. I put a box or more through it every day for several months. It was a fine shooting gun.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Not an H&R but here's Grandpa's Iver Johnson Sealed Eight. Probably of the same vintage. The chambers are very tight and it will only chamber certain brands of .22s but it works pretty good. It's no Colt Match Target but it does it's job. No idea when he got it or how long he had it, but I know my mom's dad wouldn't have bought it f it wasn't a "Deal"! Total opposite of my Dad's father. Grandpa B. was much like Sixgun. Nothing less than a Colt or a Smith would do. :D

Think I'll take it to the range tomorrow.
:D
jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Jason,

My grandmother had an IJ .22 Super Shot Sealed 8 like that with the same grips and slightly shorter barrel. I loved that little pistol and it was supposed to be mine when she passed. Sadly, very sadly, she changed her mind and gave it to my cousin. No idea shat happened to it after that.
I've been looking for one like hers since she passed in 88, but no luck so far. I think my mom gave me the H&R as a replacement for the IJ.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Cool guns -- I love the old top-break revolvers.

Joe mentioned "Bill Goforth" and he got the name right, as Bill wrote THE BOOK on Harrington & Richardson firearms, which was published posthumously. For those who want to date their 999 Sportsmans, I posted some info down below -- which I got in an email from Bill, of course, many years ago.

I think this image will confirm that I like the old top-break revolvers -- although one is a single shot -- but they are all H&Rs.

H&R Collection 11-2017.jpg
Old No7

SPORTSMAN DOUBLE ACTION MODEL 999 LARGE FRAME TOP BREAK -- 1932-1952
Large frame double action top break revolver; Caliber 22 rimfire (short, long & long rifle) cylinder capacity 9 rounds, 22 Winchester Rim Fire (WRF)cylinder capacity 7 rounds; Safety rim cylinder; blue finish only; barrel length 6 inches (ribbed); Automatic cylinder stop; Sights: rear adjustable for windage only, Three different front sights used, full Blade, Partridge type & Partridge type pinned to barrel top rib, all non-adjustable; Finger rest trigger guard; One piece oversized checkered Walnut grips (birds head grip frame shape, Rice frame); frame mounted firing pin, hammer face is flat. Cylinder release is long pivoting lever on right side of frame (there are two different version of this). Serial numbered in its own series from 01 up to at least 89761 by the end of 1939. Starting in 1940 letter codes were used.
Early production until about 1933 the letter code “D” was used to denote double action
First Variation; round heavy weight ribbed barrel with Blade non-adjustable front sight ----1932- to before April 18,1933
Second Variation; adjustable front sight------------1933 (after 4-18-1933)-
Third Variation; firing pin moved to hammer-------------------------1934
Fourth Variation; three inch barrel was offered----------------------1935
Fifth Variation; two patent dates marked on cylinder (before there was only one)---1936 (after 3-17)-1937
Sixth Variation; top of barrel markings moved to right side of barrel---------------1937-1939
Seventh Variation; 22 WFR caliber dropped, 3 inch barrel dropped--------------1940-1941
Eight Variation; one piece over size plastic grips are standard, limited production during WWII years----1942-1952

MODEL 999 SPORTSMAN SECOND MODEL (NEW FRAME) -- 1953-1972
Top Break, Double Action, 22 Long Rifle Caliber, 9 shot, Blue Finish, Barrel Length 6 inches, Adjustable Sights

MODEL 999 SPORTSMAN THIRD MODEL (TRANSFER BAR IGNITION) -- 1973-1986
Top Break, Double Action, 22 Long Rifle Caliber, 9 shot, Blue Finish, Barrel Length 4 & 6 inches (4 inch not added until 1979, Adjustable Sights. In 1979 Only the Model name was advertised as Model 999 Automatic-Ejecting and it was offered in that year only in 32 S&W Long caliber, 6 shot.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Boy do they bring back a memory! My cross lots neighbor Fred was a real gentle soul who was my Dads childhood chum. He was kind enough to let me shoot out of his garage window at a 50 yard target in his field and I remember a women Fred knew stopping by and rolling every can of the board at 50 yards with that 999 rested off the window sill. If she missed any I don't remember it. Fred was taken back by it for sure he agreed with Six on Colts and Smiths, it just didn't add up to him.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

That makes mine a 1936-37.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper