How About Some Deer Camp Pics, Folks ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

How About Some Deer Camp Pics, Folks ?

Post by Pete44ru »

This the first one of our Northern Maine camps, South side of Sebec Lake, ca. 1976

This is our current camp, on the North side of Sebec Lake

We have 8 partners, self included, into our deer camps, so the tariff is barely bearable...…. :roll:

We also use a local agent who rents out the camp(s) during most of the Summer - which really defrays the cost.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: How About Some Deer Camp Pics, Folks ?

Post by Sixgun »

Pete,
We are underprivileged/disadvantaged and can only afford a tent.---6

Elk camp...Colorado 2012

We are also lazy...too hard to walk in that white stuff....The Gunny, George, my son and myself. For some strange reason, I did find the money for a single action Colt. 2010

Another year..my son and me. 2010

2003...first elk camp

The 33 Winchester

2005....another '86. This one is a 45-70.

Model A Uzi’s
Tanqueray
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Tanqueray »

Great photos!

Most of my “camps” are best described as minimalist:

More meplat, more better.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

All the amenities, that is the pool and hot tub in the distance. 15 minutes from the Angeles National Forest, mule deer and black bear there and we have to use Condor ammo, no lead, a far cry from those Maine and Colorado camps I see here.

And that is my cattle drive chili on the stove.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Wow Six, you got it all goin' on with the Win 1886 and the Colt in the shoulder hunting rig.

Pete, you have moved up in the world.

My only Angeles deer was taken with a 60s Model 88 and a Marlin 45-70.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey Six- where in Colorado do you go? I've hunted Craig area in the past. Have a good buddy there and have hunted his BIL ranch.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Cool camps fellers :mrgreen: , never had the opportunity around here to do that but would of been fun. 8)
Had the little cabin up on the north fence line for a while i hunted from a couple times myself but seems that camp get togethers happened more in my dads time or before.
City people bring they`er big campers up here nowdays and park them where ever they can.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Old Savage wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:52 am
Pete, you have moved up in the world.

Not really, Fred -

We have 8 partners, self included, into our deer camps, so the tariff is barely bearable...…. :roll:

We also use a local agent who rents out the camp(s) during most of the Summer - which really defrays the cost. 8)

I like those tent camps, Six - myself & my BF used to do just that in the late 60's/early 70's,, before we moved inside a camp (building).

Last edited by Pete44ru on Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:53 am Hey Six- where in Colorado do you go? I've hunted Craig area in the past. Have a good buddy there and have hunted his BIL ranch.
The "poor mans hunt"......public land with a tent.......do it all for under two g's and that includes airfare and the $600+ bull tag.

Public land about 20 miles west of Kremmling...say.....30 miles from Steamboat Springs. ----6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Great pics, everyone!
This is a bittersweet subject for me. My dad and I built this camp in 1995. It sat on 40 acres in Kingsbury up in the hills. Nothing for miles and tough sleddin' to get to. Lots of good times there.
A few years ago, we got caught up in one of those communist windmill projects. We were lucky, as I've worked in the power generation industry for 30 years and knew what questions they didn't want asked. They bought our silence with 200 acres of primo land about 10 miles south.
Our former country was literally destroyed. The camp is still there, empty. They didn't even come for the keys for two years.
We decided not to build another camp, and just haul our ice shack up during hunting season.
I know we "made out", but when my dad is gone I will miss the old camp.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That is beautiful, amazing inside.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks, OS.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've gone from a Coleman camp tent
to a wall tent
The wall tent is 16'x20' with a 14'x16' front fly.

It's a little big for just one, but, once it's all up, it's a comfortable as home!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

A little thread detour here because we don’t have photos yet...this will be the third time we rent a cabin in Colorado from a guy lives about a half hour from me here in Pennsylvania. We are 20 something miles north of Hayden Colorado. It strikes me as funny that three Pennsylvania hunters and members of this board all hunted within about an hour of each other. Sorry for the detour just struck me as odd.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

Sumatra hunting camp 3.JPG
Antelope hunting camp, Montana 2005.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

I know deer camps in America are a little bit different, I saw and stayed in some good ones in Arkansas, from rustic old shacks to trailers to a five bedroom house once.
But I like to take pictures of my campsites - I have many more, but this is what I have loaded on Imgur at the moment:

Siberia River

Elk Country

Rock bivvy

Under a tarp at night

Canoeing camp

Billy and a rifle

After two days walk, camping by lake
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

Carlsen Highway wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:08 pm I know deer camps in America are a little bit different, I saw and stayed in some good ones in Arkansas, from rustic old shacks to trailers to a five bedroom house once.
But I like to take pictures of my campsites - I have many more, but this is what I have loaded on Imgur at the moment:

Siberia River; Elk Country; Rock bivvy; Under a tarp at night; Canoeing camp; Billy and a rifle; After two days walk, camping by lake.
Very Nice!
I take it you do a bit of traveling with your rifles.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Nice pics Carlson.....sure looks different than here.---6
Model A Uzi’s
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Twodot wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:41 pm
Carlsen Highway wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:08 pm I know deer camps in America are a little bit different, I saw and stayed in some good ones in Arkansas, from rustic old shacks to trailers to a five bedroom house once.

Siberia River; Elk Country; Rock bivvy; Under a tarp at night; Canoeing camp; Billy and a rifle; After two days walk, camping by lake.
Very Nice!
Old WDM Bell said he walked 75 miles for every elephant he shot, I am probably walking about 30 miles for every deer LOL but he didn't have to carry a 25 KG backpack up a mountain. The last few years I have taken up canoeing also to get across the lakes to more remote areas that you can't otherwise access without a helicopter, and so I can carry more gear, and more recently I have got a packraft. Plus I am getting older.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

fordwannabe wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:14 pm A little thread detour here because we don’t have photos yet...this will be the third time we rent a cabin in Colorado from a guy lives about a half hour from me here in Pennsylvania. We are 20 something miles north of Hayden Colorado. It strikes me as funny that three Pennsylvania hunters and members of this board all hunted within about an hour of each other. Sorry for the detour just struck me as odd.
AND the fact that the three of us only live about an hour & 1/2 away from each other!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

Carlsen Highway wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:52 am
Twodot wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:41 pm

Very Nice!
Old WDM Bell said he walked 75 miles for every elephant he shot, I am probably walking about 30 miles for every deer LOL but he didn't have to carry a 25 KG backpack up a mountain. The last few years I have taken up canoeing also to get across the lakes to more remote areas that you can't otherwise access without a helicopter, and so I can carry more gear, and more recently I have got a packraft. Plus I am getting older.
So all of those photos are of locations in New Zealand?
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Yes, that's all just New Zealand. (Siberia river is in the NZ SouthernAlps - Not Russian Sibera!)

I would like to go back to the States and go whitetail hunting in some of the deer camps I have seen, somewhere down south again. I have been to the Ozarks, maybe Appalachia
One day I would like to go Elk hunting in the US, Idaho maybe, and also I have a fascination with Eastern Russia, would like to go to the actual Siberia.

I miss the aspect of the deer camps that I discovered over in America, the way that deer season was more of a family time than it is here, and often deer camp is but a rustic place, but it was also like a families holiday home somewhere
Mark Twain
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My older brother lives in Denver and hunts elk out near Kremmling and Silverthorn. I went with him one year, but the weather was too warm and the elk hadn't moved down to those lower elevations yet. We only saw 1 cow elk, and it was moving up into the quakies when we saw it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost