Ammo On International Flights

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Ammo On International Flights

Post by Hawkeye2 »

I'll be going to Poland late next month and want to carry 2 or 3 boxes of factory .25 ACP to give to a friend over there as a repayment. We had shot his FN Browning and he allowed me to fire one of his French 16 gauge pinfires. Would there be any issues in putting it in my checked luggage? Dulles to Copenhagen then on to Warsaw. I won't have to go through customs in Poland as we laid over in Copenhagen and the final leg of the flight is in the European Economic Community.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Ammo On International Flights

Post by AJMD429 »

Well, NOT been there, done that, or even tried to do it, but...

It involves:

a) governments,
b) airlines,
c) overpaid bureaucrats,
d) minimum-wage flunkees, and
e) b-b-b-bullets,

...so what could possibly go wrong... :D

I'd consider a hundred bucks or so and a cute gift card instead.

BUT having said that, it is good for those who have the patience to challenge the limits of bureaucracy and push back, so we don't lose even more freedom - so if you choose, go armed with knowledge of the laws (plus a little 'tip' money if needed), and Good Luck...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Somehow I expect the real problems will be after you get overseas - probably wise to contact the embassy and/or airlines involved.
Merle from PA
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

When I went hunting Red Stag in Poland, I had to keep the ammunition in my locked gun case. I was not allowed to have it in my luggage. Check with the Airlines first.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Read the TSA guidelines and the airline rules.

Usually you are limited to 11 pounds of ammo.
Has to be in locked box. Usually you can lock them in a small case and put them in your checked luggage. Some airlines make you check it as a separate item, so then it would need to be a durable case, like a Pelican or something similar.

You should be able to check it in the USA and have your luggage checked all the way to your destination. Then you will only have to deal with Poland's customs.
Whatever you do, don't tell them you are bringing it for payment and plan to leave it.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

vancelw wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:51 am
Whatever you do, don't tell them you are bringing it for payment and plan to leave it.

Winner, Winner - Chicken Dinner ! ! . :mrgreen:

Good advice...… :)

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Amazing how difficult they make such a trivial thing....

TSA, police, embassies, customs officials..... :?

....we're talking a few boxes of little pipsqueak 25 ACP's.

Then again the few odds-and-ends cartridges my teenage kids might have in a jacket pocket after a weekend hunting rabbits would be enough to freak out most schools now days... :roll:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

AJMD429 wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:12 am
....we're talking a few boxes of little pipsqueak 25 ACP's.

Yeah, but to non-firearm folk, ANY ammo has the power of an atomic bomb...…. :roll:

AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Double-triple check the legality on that end. Even carrying one loaded cartridge into some countries can get you serious prison time. Should it? No, but that's the way it is.

Dealing with the airline will also depend greatly on your point of departure. Attitudes toward anything remotely firearm related vary widely from city to city and region to region - and even from counter worker to counter worker.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Double-triple check the legality on that end. Even carrying one loaded cartridge into some countries can get you serious prison time. Should it? No, but that's the way it is.
Yep, that's the way it is. In this country, New Jersey comes to mind. I can have
a box of 22 HP in the truck with no trouble in most states. Get caught in NJ, and
the fine is $1K per hollow point round. One 550 round box would ruin me.

You should also check on the caliber. Some calibers that are commonplace here are
illegal for civilians to own in parts of Europe - specifically some that will fit machine
guns leftover from WWII.

25ACP is not a sporting caliber. It's a pocket pistol caliber. I'd get something in
writing from the Polish end. Maybe the consulate in this country could help.

Good Luck!

-Stretch