1873 Winchester Miroku or Uberti

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

1873 Winchester Miroku or Uberti

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Been trying to save my pennies for a 1873 Winchester. Leaning toward a 45 Colt but I actually have more 357 Mag/38 Special ammo on hand. I would love to hear y'alls recommendations between the Miroku and Uberti. Rifle will be a plinker primarily. I am old and crippled up so hunting has become a rare pleasure...mostly sitting in the truck or buggy. Thank you all very much !

rick
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1873 Winchester Miroku or Uberti

Post by M. M. Wright »

Top in first image is 1873 Winchester from 1895, all are 44-40. The the two Uberties and the bottom image is of Miroku/Winchester SRC and the old Winchester. I've had the sporting rifle for 25 years or so and the short rifle almost as long and both have been quite satisfactory. I just got the Miroku about 2 months ago but have shot it some and just added a tang sight to it. I wanted an SRC for a truck gun and found this new Miroku for under a grand. That's cheaper than I could buy a used Uberti. Which one? I'd be hard pressed to find much difference in them. All four are quality rifles and get the job done. I have stayed with the 44-40 because of the fact that it feeds better than 45 or 357 and I have examples of both. I shoot lots of black so I appreciate the better sealing of the chamber that 44-40 gives me.
Check Cheaper Than Dirt. They had the Mirokus at very good prices.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I had a beat up old Uberti 73 SRC it was accurate and reliable despite previous neglect. Soft screws were my only complaint.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

I bought a Miroku in .357 last year from a cowboy action shooter. Had a short stroke kit in it. Really a sweet rifle that shoots exceptionally well. No complaints.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Both are fine guns.
I prefer the Uberti’s
I think they look better, but the triggers are heavy, great CC and great fit and finish.
But you will enjoy either one you pick.
And as for the caliber....get all of them.....haha
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

I went with Miroku simply because their 2018 Shot Show special was the closest thing I wanted as far as features without having to order custom stocks etc.

Thanks for the chart and all the info COSteve!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Barcelona Rick wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:04 amBeen trying to save my pennies for a 1873 Winchester. Leaning toward a 45 Colt but I actually have more 357 Mag/38 Special ammo on hand. I would love to hear y'alls recommendations between the Miroku and Uberti. Rifle will be a plinker primarily. I am old and crippled up so hunting has become a rare pleasure...mostly sitting in the truck or buggy. Thank you all very much !
rick
I have two '73s, both in 45 Colt. One produced in 1986 and the other in 2014, the older one is a sporting rifle, 24-¼" octagon bbl, straight grip. The newer one has a 18-½" ½rnd/½oct bbl., also a straight grip. One was imported by EMF, the other is a Taylor's, both are well finished and fitted. Color cased receivers and nice wood. The Mirokus I've seen are mostly blued receivers, and are every bit as nice. The internals are slightly different. While there are quite a number of "go-fast" parts for the Ubertis, the Miroku has a slimmer selection. I have a couple hundred thousand rounds thru the early '73 (one of the first 5 45 Colt Uberti rifles built).

Be advised, that there have been some dimensional changes in the '73 from Uberti over the years. With my handloads, (200gr RFN), the '86 version will load and feed loads with an OAL of 1.595". the new (2014) will only take a 1.579" OAL. If you go with a .38/.357Mag version, I don't know if the same restrictions might apply. But, both Winchester factory loads of 255gr lead and 225 HPs feed thru it fine.

Not to be argumentative, as for 44Mag versions, I've read that Uberti uses the same receiver and other parts... think about it, anywhere they would upsize a part, they'd have decrease the size of another. Larger diameter pins would mean smaller links, if the links were increased, the receiver and the bolt mounting points would have to be smaller. I don't see them doing that. That bolt thrust chart is a nice mathematical theory, but, it doesn't account for two important factors, case diameter and case taper. A larger diameter case has more area for grip on the chamber wall, while more taper in the case lessens the ability for the case to grip the chamber. A school of thought exists that sez a 44 Mag has less bolt thrust than a .357 Mag, mainly due to more area for grip. introduced t the US in 2010, I've yet to read of a catastrophic failure... and had there been, I've sure it would have been spread far & wide. I still wouldn't own one tho'.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Steve
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Thanks for that info Steve. Making changes to the metal makes more sense than increasing parts sizes and trying fit them in the same space.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Steve
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

COsteve and all, Look at P. O. Ackley's first book and read the article on bolt thrust. It's done with a '94 in 30-30 and with a dry chamber and cartridge there is NO bolt thrust. He even screws the barrel out one thread at a time and has to lengthen the firing pin but has to oil the case to get any set back. This is without the AI chamber, just the normal 30-30. Too, the pins aren't what takes the thrust. The ends of the links transfer from the bolt to the frame when in the up position. My old '73 from 1895 still works just fine. Wonder how many times it's been fired?
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Steve
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I truly wish I had a rich uncle to buy me one in 44 Mag and all the factory ammo I wanted or needed to test its durability. Or it’s lack there of . Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!