Hey Shasta

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Hey Shasta

Post by earlmck »

Did you survive that Carr fire?
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Hey Shasta

Post by gamekeeper »

Bump.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

That was a really nasty fire that generated a "fire tornado" at one point and burned over 1000 homes in the Redding, California area. I know Shasta lives somewhere in that part of the world and if he wasn't personally burned out he likely has friends who were...
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Earl, I would think that he is probably without any power or phone service in that area from the fire. Reckon some one will hear from him before long.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Didn't Shasta "bow out" of the forum? :(
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Just now got my computer running again, so have not been able to post.

Yep, we got burned out and lost just about everything, including my recently restored '67 Camaro. Here is a picture of my place that was posted on the local news website:

Here is whats left of my Camaro:

When I woke that morning, the fire was 4 miles west and on the other side of the Sacramento River, so I wasn't worried. We had no warning at all that the fire was upon us until just after supper, when the power went out. All our utilities are underground and we never lose power, so when it went out I knew we were in deep do-do. We had just 15 minutes to grab what we could and get out.
I was very busy stuffing guns into the back of my 1955 Chevy Nomad while my wife and daughter grabbed important documents, pictures, clothing, and a few keepsakes. Trying to drive out we didn't get a full block before hitting a totally gridlocked traffic jam of cars trying to escape. My wife, daughter, and myself were in separate vehicles when we were hit by a fire tornado. I was never so scared in my life! I saw tree limbs, garbage cans, patio furniture, pieces of houses and burning embers flying everywhere. I could hear debris hitting my car from all sides, and figured my nice paint job was ruined. The fire was not yet actually on us, but some of the tree tops were catching fire from flying embers. My old car has no air conditioning, but I had to roll up the window to keep that nasty stuff from coming inside. The heat was suffocating, and I had to tie my handkerchief over my face just to breath. By some miracle the traffic finally started moving, not very fast but at least steady. It took us nearly two hours to go two miles away from the fire. My old Chevy overheated so bad I had to shut it off, but thankfully my daughter was driving my pickup truck right behind me so I was able to hook a chain to the Chevy and my daughter towed me to my sister-in-laws house safely away from the fire. Here is some videos that my daughter took with her cell phone while escaping very near my home. You can see me getting the old Nomad out in the third video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFt30e6dllY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZJ2-no25qg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mVTzrq2f38

I got most of my guns out, but lost my Swedish Mauser, a couple nice old 12 gauge doubles, a double barrel Navy Arms 10 gauge percussion muzzle loading shotgun, a Model 61 Winchester .22, a Winchester 30-30 carbine, a North Americans Arms Mini revolver, a Ranger bolt action .22 that I had since I was a kid, and all three of my air pistols. I lost all my ammunition and bullet casting and reloading equipment, which was a very substantial amount. I would have loved to seen a video of my reloading shed going up, as it contained over 50 pounds of black powder and close to 200 pounds of smokeless powder, hundreds of thousands of primers, along with well over 100,000 rounds of loaded ammo. When they allowed us back in five days later, I found exploded ammunition laying everywhere for a couple hundred feet in all directions! Here is some of my reloading equipment:

We did have some good fortune in finding a place to rent while we rebuild. A local Property Manager who used to date my daughter some 20 years ago saw on TV that our house had been destroyed, so contacted my daughter offering a house he had available for rent. We have set about buying furniture, kitchenware, and all the stuff needed for daily living. We have also started the salvage operation, but really there is not much to recover. I did recover my bullet casting lead which is heavily contaminated with dirt, metal, and all sorts of ash and debris. It will be a challenge to get it cleaned up and usable again. All my hand tools are ruined beyond use. We have Farmer's Insurance, and they have already paid our claim. They gave the full coverage amount for everything except personal property. For that, they gave us only 60% of what we were insured for and told us we would have to provide an itemized list of lost property to receive the full amount. That really sucks as we have paid that premium for years and now we will have to make a huge long list that will literally takes months to complete.

On a more positive note, we received $750 aid money from Red Cross to help get re-established, as well as $1,000 from the collector car club I belong to. People have been very kind and caring. One lady stopped by while I was knee-deep in ashes trying to inventory my tools, and she gave me a bag of fresh tomatoes from her garden. Another lady stopped and gave me a $50 bill and a $50 grocery card. Our new neighbor lady came over and presented us with a bag full of everyday necessities like pencils, paper, towels, etc. My fellow members of Hat Creek Rifle & Pistol Club took up a collection of reloading supplies for me. We have been quite overwhelmed by the generosity of friends as well as strangers, and exceedingly grateful for the help.

I'm out of the shooting business for a little while, but thanks to my fellow shooters I have already begun to rebuild. I went to the Reno Gun Show yesterday and got an RCBS Rock Chucker press and some other reloading supplies, so hopefully I will be back at it soon.

Oh yeah, it looks like my car's paint job will be OK after some serious cleaning!

Shasta
Last edited by Shasta on Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Shasta, my heart goes out to you and your family. My wife also feels the same. We have experienced something similar.

Whatever you need in the reloading department, drop me a pm...I have loads of extras in everything. ----6
Model A Uzi’s
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Thanks for letting us know that you and family are OK. Years ago my brother was burned out and lost every thing among the guns was Dad's 12 ga. double that we both started on.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Thank heaven you and yours made it out okay. I know it's a platitude, but things can be replaced. Not so with people.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

So glad you and your family got out alive, Shasta. A flood ruins, but a fire erases.
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Shasta- very sorry to learn of your family's misfortune. Seems as though you have a very positive attitude in spite of this event. Best wishes to you and your family and you rise from the ashes. I'm sure you will be back on the firing line before too long.

Regrets Brother.
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

OOPS. (re: previous post) My Bad-haven't posted in a long while. I meant "as you rise from the ashes". Guess that's what I get for being ironic. Still, all good wishes meant.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Good grief! That was a close call and a harrowing experience. The flames exploding like that and traffic not moving ahead must have been a near heart-stopping experience. Sure glad you and the girls made it out of there Shasta.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Glad you and your family got out unharmed from what must have been a terrifying experience, I hope you all get back to normal as soon as possible.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Happy to hear that you and your family are ok! That had to be terrifying, just can't imagine.

Best wishes for you and your family and neighbors as well.

jason
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

So sorry to hear of your loss. Thank God you are all ok. You are obviously good people and will get squared away. It's people that can't be replaced.
Prayer sent.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Prayers up for you and yours Shasta, glad your ok.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Pitchy wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:34 pmPrayers up for you and yours Shasta, glad your ok.
Ditto. And like Six, let me know what you might need, I don't have all the spares that Six does, but if I can help...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If you need something that I can help with, let me know.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Sixgun wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:12 pm Shasta, my heart goes out to you and your family. My wife also feels the same. We have experienced something similar.

Whatever you need in the reloading department, drop me a pm...I have loads of extras in everything. ----6
Just before I read this I was wondering if the RCBS no-hassle lifetime warranty applied :shock:
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

vancelw wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:52 pm
Just before I read this I was wondering if the RCBS no-hassle lifetime warranty applied :shock:
Dang Vance.....that's good thinking. Ya figure, over the years most of us have spent some big bucks at RCBS. I never did read any disclaimers by them. Either way, I'd be happy to send him whatever he needs. That's all Shasta has to do is give us a list and an address and we will get him back in business. ------6
Model A Uzi’s
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Sixgun wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:21 pm
vancelw wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:52 pm
Dang Vance.....that's good thinking. Ya figure, over the years most of us have spent some big bucks at RCBS. I never did read any disclaimers by them. Either way, I'd be happy to send him whatever he needs. That's all Shasta has to do is give us a list and an address and we will get him back in business. ------6
Right on, Jack,

I know I've got more stuff down in the reloading room that I will ever need.

Let us know what you need.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Shasta
Senior Levergunner

Post by Shasta »

I just sent off some big orders to Midway, Buffalo Arms, Starline Brass, and White Label Bullet Lube. I've got a rain check from Harbor Freight for a new work bench, and as soon as it arrives I will get what I have set up and see what else I might need. I very much appreciate the offers of help from my fellow levergunners. You guys are the best!

Shasta

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

What rifle will you replace first?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Shasta
Senior Levergunner

Post by Shasta »

Old Savage wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:42 pm What rifle will you replace first?
The very first thing I replaced was my gun safe! It was a Liberty Franklin model with a one hour fire rating. It was totally destroyed inside and out. It was a $3,000 safe that did a good job protecting from entry, but was not big enough. I went to the local gun safe dealer who no longer carried Liberty safes, but did have some Chinese knock-offs called "High Noble" that had the same size and fire rating as my Liberty, so I bought two of them for what one Liberty would have cost me. Here are the twins:

Right now I am not planning to replace any of the destroyed guns, as I have been intending to downsize my collection anyway. Since I lost all my bullet molds, brass, and reloading dies, I am considering selling off some of the guns that were saved from the fire that are very difficult to get brass in that caliber or ones that I just don't get out and use frequently. I'm not going to rush into selling anything before I find out if any brass can be found at a reasonable price.

Shasta