New mould to play with

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

New mould to play with

Post by earlmck »

I had never had a MP mould, never cast with a brass mould, never played with hollow point moulds. So last February I put my name in on a "group buy" deal over on the "singleactions" forum. So this new mould shows up a couple of days ago. Certainly a beautiful thing in its shiny brass glory
MPmould9585.jpg
MPmoulda9588.jpg
Kind of a chunky thing though to a fellow who has been using nothing but aluminum in a multi-cavity mould for the past 30 years or so. I pre-heat my mould by setting it on top of the pot while the pot comes up to melt temperature. With an aluminum mould I have to put some weight on the mould to keep the handles from tipping the mould back off the pot
MPalummouldheat9590.jpg
But this brass mould is heavy enough to just sit there nice and flat
MPheating9589.jpg
I thought the pins would slow progress but I don't think they impede progress at all. This bullet design has deep, square grease grooves which are not real conducive to just dropping out of a mould. Takes a bit of tapping to get them all to fall, and they are just as prone to hang on the side away from the pin as the side with the pin.

And just like every aluminum mould I have used, the brass mould ignores my soap 'n water wash and has to have the machining oils burned off by making 30 or 40 casts. Other people clean up their new moulds and begin making perfect bullets within just a few casts but not this kid. My moulds always have to have the oil burned out and this MP mould is maybe even a little slower to get the oil out then most of my aluminum moulds have been. But I got a nice little batch to try out in my 327 Fed revolver and my 32/20, in both .313 and .312 diameters. Gator checks. Cute little nose dimple isn't it?
MPboolits9591.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New mould to play with

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Very cool....how did they shoot?
I wish I had the time and space to do that!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Did you ever try spraying the mould with brake cleaner? Acetone?
Very nice looking mould. Drops nice bullets.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Dang it Earl... In the back of my mind I keep thinking I want to try a .327 in a rifle. You aren't making the walk a way decision any easier. I keep thinking I can di it with a .357 and you come up with this. Oh brudder.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Hey Earl, I use starting fluid, (ether) to de-oil my moulds before casting. Blow them off with the air hose after the ether. Works for me.

Really like the looks of that point but wonder how it would feed in a 92/ 32-20.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Earl, I scrub my moulds with isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush, but I often end up having to burn out some gunk as well. I sure notice a difference when switching from an aluminum to one of my iron Lyman or RCBS molds. The brass is beautiful. Reminds me of the molds that Rob Applegate used to make. I failed to order one before he quit the business.
Those bullets look wonderful. Hope they shoot well, too!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That's a cool looking bullet. I have some similar that I bought for a couple different things. They make a nifty little "gallery" bullet in my .303 Brit and 7.62x39. Very accurate out of the Mini 30. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

M. M. Wright wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:50 am Hey Earl, I use starting fluid, (ether) to de-oil my moulds before casting. Blow them off with the air hose after the ether. Works for me.

Really like the looks of that point but wonder how it would feed in a 92/ 32-20.
I've tried brake cleaner, carb cleaner, lacquer thinner, paint thinner, alcohol, but I never tried ether. Gotta' give that a try, M. M.!

I no longer have a m92 in 32/20, but I'm betting the nose of this thing would be too long to feed. It was designed for the 327 Federal in revolvers and may not feed through my little Savage bolt either (haven't tried loading in anything yet). I know it'll work in my Ruger revolver but that may be it. I'll probably run it on down to .310 and see if the other 30's like it but all that playing will have to wait a while yet.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Nice! Those bullets will do some damage to varmits. I use Ranch dogs 115gr gas checked bullets and they shoot great in all my guns. Good choice!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

BenT wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:03 am Nice! Those bullets will do some damage to varmits. I use Ranch dogs 115gr gas checked bullets and they shoot great in all my guns. Good choice!
I have that Ranch Dog bullet mould too Ben: just about my favorite all-time cast bullet that I size on down to .310 or .309 and use in all the 30's as well as using it at .313 for the others. And they just rain out of that 6-cavity Lee mould; an hour of casting produces a heck of a pile of nice one. Makes me wonder just what the dickens I thought I was going to do with another mould of that diameter. I did think I was going to have something around a 130 grainer with the new mould but with the dimpled nose it casts at 119 grains vs. 117 for the Ranch Dog with the wheelweight metal I use for most everything.

Somebody may get a heck of a deal on a nice MP mould one of these days unless some guns show a distinct preference for this new bullet.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry