Ithaca Model 72, .22 LR caliber Made in Germany about 1975

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Ithaca Model 72, .22 LR caliber Made in Germany about 1975

Post by trooper joe »

Just picked this up at a local gun shop today for $135 (no I didn't kiss the guy).

Couple marks on the gun but it shoots great.

Saw it a couple of days ago but was not sure what I was looking at. Thought it was a spin off of the old Model 49 single shot rifle Ithaca made in the mid 60's. After I went home and did some research on it, I found out that these are really nice rifles.

Some information says that Henry bought the rights for this gun from Ithaca and the Erma factory in Germany and then produced their own. The various bits of information (not much on the web about this) seem to indicate that the Henry parts do not fit on this rifle.

Any more information you guys and gals have would be appreciated.

Trooper Joe
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ithaca Model 72, .22 LR caliber Made in Germany about 1975

Post by Pete44ru »

Congrats, that's a pretty nice score !

Ithaca made a repeater based on the single-shot Model 49 Saddlegun, the Model 49R (repeater) - but reliable cycling became a millstone hanging around Ithaca's neck.

Ithaca then had the rifle in your hands (the Model 72) made by the German firm ERMA - which later was morphed into what we know as the new Henry Repeating Arm's standard H001 (not the Golden Boy's) .22LR levergun by Lou Imperato Sr., Henry's first president (his son now runs the company).

The Model 72's I've been able to get my hands on were well fitted, functioned reliably, and were generally a pleasure to shoot.

You will be able to access more info by googling "Ithaca/Erma model 72".

Good Luck with yours.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I had one back in the 80s, it was a very reliable, accurate and smooth little rifle, I sold it to buy a Marlin Mountie and wished I hadn't.
The Erma was well made and had the smoothest action, the Henry H001 is basically the same gun. 8)
Congratulations on a great buy.... :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

We shot those in summer camp one year. They sure were nice! Congratulations!
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Congratulations. It looks well made, and almost unused. Hope it works and shoots great for you.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I knew a young women who owned one she lived a few miles down the road when I was young. She shot a woodchuck several times in the chest that was in her garden and you could cover the holes with a quarter from a thirty five yard shot. My Dad just said remember its the female lion that does all the killing. lol It was very smooth!