WWII issued O3A3s

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

WWII issued O3A3s

Post by Old Savage »

Is there a way to know if these rifles were issued and saw service?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: WWII issued O3A3s

Post by Sixgun »

OS,
This is speculation on my part and what I picked up from other guys "in the know". A rifle in its exact configuration.......there were several "alternations"....A1...A2....etc. of most military guns.........that is still like new or has minor handling marks is considered "unissued". I once had a 1884 Trapdoor that was new..new...new....and that was considered unissued....until a guy offered me 25 for it..bye....my buddy has an 1814 North muzzleloading flintlock that is new...new...

But even that above description does not make sense as some officers or support troops who were not in combat just put their guns in the corner somewhere and escaped the alternations or some guys stole their own gun and shipped it home. Dunno....maybe someone here can expand on this.----6
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well Six, in reading the various history sources my take is since this was in the first 787 in 10-42 that SC made it went somewhere during the war. Because the bolt appears to be Parkerized it apparently went back to the arsenal. The barrel seems original in that it has the same date as the receiver. After giving the barrel a reasonably good multi stage cleaning I think it has been used but the 6 groove rifling remains strong and should be functional.

I will have to put some factory through to see how it performs. Would be interesting to know where SC sent those early production rifles. It does have the in the metal tube cleaning kit in the butt.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

You'll have to look her over to see if you can identify any non SC parts that may have been switched out during the rearsenal. You also need to post pictures after your clean up!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, it is not a her. There is no case I can see for a rifle being a her, think about it. I think he told me his name was Henry but that may have come through the mists of beer. But, I am working on that idea. The bolt so far appears to the only issue, not sure about the stock.

JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I prefer to have female firearms, but to each their own. I try not to judge!

If you haven't read Bruce Canfield's article, it has a few things about original Smith Corona parts
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... ona-03a3s/

My Smith Corona has been through a reasenal, but I have a Remington 03A3 that pretty much original with the mix of blued and parkerized finishes with all Remington parts as far as I can tell.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JB wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:37 pm I prefer to have female firearms, but to each their own. I try not to judge!
Somehow I like the sound of "I'm hoping you will be cooperative, and we won't have to involve Mr. Mossberg..." or "If need be, we can ask Mr. Ruger to enforce the rules..."

The Ruger SuperBlackhawk was always "Mr. Duckwith" only the 'D' was another letter.... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Well OS....this confirms what I already knew. My S-C was rebuilt ....why, I don't know as it sure was not shot much due to the condition of the bore which is like new. You figure if the bore is real nice, the rest of the gun must nearly match it.

Full on pic....has not changed much since it was rebuilt. I logged close to a thousand rounds out of it...99% cast at 17-1800

Remington bolt

I took this pic in a completely dark room. The bore is so bright, it shines by itself :D

Na....here's a pic of the six groove rifling.
Model A Uzi’s
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Fred,
I have 2 03A3s, One SC and a Remington. Both of mine have 2 grove barrels. I don't know enough about them to know if they were overhauled but they both shoot great! There is a 1903 Facebok group that has a lot of very knowledgeable people in it. They are also most helpful.
IIRC the 2 grove barrels shoot best with heavy cast bullets. The 6 grove barrels are more forgiving if you want to shoot lighter cast slugs.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, my rifling is not that good. But it looks good enough to shoot well. Good pics.

Rusty, I will look there.

AJ, on the genderization of objects, they seem like its to me but if they do have gender it would seem distinctly phallic.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, putting a light up the bore as in your pictures my bore looks somewhat like yours with some shine but there is still crud to come out.
It looks like an R on the underside of the root of the bolt handle and an 8 on the opposite upper side of the root of the bolt, assuming this is a Remington bolt in the original Smith Corona receiver/barrel. I think the lower wood is likely original not sure about the upper.

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

OS, you might try some JB bore paste in that bore, might shine it up for you.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I will try that.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OS,
As you know, the first pic of the bore is a joke, the second pic does not do the bore justice...it really is bright and shiny. This rifle will throw a 215 gr. cast gas check Lyman with 12 oz. beer can accuracy to 200 meters, quart sized malt liquor bottles at 300 meters, Antifa head accuracy at 385 meters and Muslim torso accuracy to 500 meters. Some day I need to test this rifle with 168 gr. Hornady HPBT at 2550 out to 500.....maybe this week. (Nice to be retired)

On another subject we had a long range match at 200,300,385,and 500 meters last weekend at the Atglen Gun Club. Using a heavy barreled Remington 700 with the new 5r rifling, 40X trigger and a $700 Vortex scope put 5 of those 168 gr. Hornadys into 3 and 1/2"..... .......at 500 meters. Scary accuracy...I was beating "most" of the guys with these new fangled 6.5 Creedmores chambered in $3 to 4,000 set ups.

Anyway, this is the back of the bolt on my SC....there is a "10" and a "49" in a box.

This is the mark on the stock...SA with a J

This is Miss Apple, "helping to take pictures" she's a little tired as she was fighting a softball sized toad on the back patio.----6

Model A Uzi’s
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

The mighty 03A3 is my most favorite rifle of all. Talk about versatile!

I have but two, an all military '06 (except that someone drilled & tapped it) and one by Sedgley. It's a 20 inch .257 Roberts. Man, do they shoot.

Cat