S&W 327/ 627 PC revolvers? Plot Twist.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

S&W 327/ 627 PC revolvers? Plot Twist.

Post by 2ndovc »

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/p ... odel-mp-r8

I've had two 586s, in four and 6 inch barrel and just couldn't warm up to them. These look wicked cool and feel really good in my
hand. Like to hear from anyone that has had or shot one. They have some pretty good reviews on the various web sites, but you guys are much better at cutting through the bs. :D

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Anyone shooting one of the S&W 327 PC revolvers?

Post by Rusty »

Don't have one. I've been sitting on the sidelines looking at the .327 of late. It looks like Ruger is the only company making them now in a handgun. I have been seeing some people post about the Henry leveraction in .327 but not enough to sway me. It kind of looks like a straight walled .32-20 that should be easier to reload for that a .32-20. I really have thought about one from time to time but I'm heavily invested in .38/357 stuff right now and feel like I'm too old to change.
I'd love to hear your experiences.
Thanks
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I haven't chrono'ed my Henry .327 yet. PillHer has a Ruger SP101 in .327. It is easy to load. Straight wall cases, small powder charges, tall enough cases to get an easy grip on, and so far 12 reloading cycles on about 100 cases with no signs of any issues. That S&W looks nice.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I guess I need to clarify the question.

It's a S&W Model 327 in .357 Magnum like this one;

I keep looking for a .357 that I like. Wondering what these shoot like with the lightweight frames.

jb 8)

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Jason, I reckon you might need a good hold on the grips, it might want to move a little in your hand.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That's my thinking as well. I don't mid a little recoil, the short barreled and grip Super Blackhawk I have with heavy magnum loads is nasty. The same cartridge in the Old Model Bowen isn't any big deal. Just a matter of a few ounces.

With the Model 327, most of the shooting will be .38 Specials, and loaded with Bear Killer .357's when at the cabin in PA. I like the idea of an eight shot .357 that I can snap a light on for the things that make big bumps in the night up there. Crazy thing is, I've had more issues with two legged creeps than for legged ones. Though I did fire a shot in anger this spring for the first time in the 50 years that we have owned the place. A very unfortunate woodland creature charged my little dog. The Bowen .44 came out of it's holster so fast and smoothly, all I remember thinking how smooth the hammer cocked back before it went off, ending the argument. The little dude just looked up at me like "Wow". It was his first time in the forest and he thought this thing was coming out to play.

Not a gotta have, and I really love my Ruger Speed Six, but I'd like an N frame in .357 Mag. with adjustable sights. The other option would be an older model 27.

jb 8)

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Can you get that model 327 ported? Those grips in the picture should help with control.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

No 327 but I have 27's in 3.5,5, 6 and 6.5 inch barrel lengths. Shoot great!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've had a couple of Model 27s, a 3.5" and a 5". Sold them years ago when they started getting pricey. Should have hung on to them, but that's the way it goes.

Favorite shop isn't open on Mondays so I'll stop and look at the Model 327 tomorrow.

jb 8)

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Nice revolver, at almost 36 ounces it’s heavuer than I thought. The bugs are really bad here so ain’t done much shooting, nice to see your reports. Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I’m a big fan of the separate barrel and shroud. My new model 66 has this and my old Dan Wesson revolvers too. If my mitts were bigger that would be a great gun for me.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

There is a lot of redundant info on this video, but it's pretty well sold me. There's a couple nice condition used ones about but I'm still planning on going to stop and fondle one tomorrow. Really like the idea of the 8 shot and moon clips. Been shooting 1917's since I was a kid. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb_GFV_ ... r_embedded

jb 8)

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: S&W N frame 327 & 627s. Plot twist.

Post by 2ndovc »

Had time today to stop in and look a the S&W Model 327. Very nice revolver, heavier than I thought it would be. Barrel heavy, I like that for a heavier caliber. Looked around at the other large frame .357s and spotted another one that I hadn't seen before. Smith's 627 , also a Performance Center model. Considerably heavier and very smooth. It has a barrel comp, but it's removable. Don't much care for those anyway. The only thing that really bugs me is the Stainless cylinder. Just don't like two toned revolvers. I could send it out and get it coated black, but It's already a $1300 revolver. I did however really like it.

More research. :D
And, just may end up with a vintage Model 27 if one crosses my path.

jb 8)

octagon
Senior Levergunner

Re: S&W 327/ 627 PC revolvers? Plot Twist.

Post by octagon »

Love my 3.5 in pre model 27, best trigger ever. Thought about a python? Mine is a great shooter with 8 in barrel
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: S&W 327/ 627 PC revolvers? Plot Twist.

Post by 2ndovc »

I really wish I still had my Model 27s, but sold them and the 28s years ago. I've had two Pythons, a 4 and a 6 inch barrel. Couldn't make wither one shoot worth a darn. No chance I'm going to pay the price they are going for now. Even for a dedicated Colt guy, not going down that road again.

Anyway, I'm going to pick up one of the 327 TRR8 models when I get a chance. I really liked the weight of the 627 but I don't like the two tone and it doesn't have a light rail and that's a big part of why I want one for a camp gun. It's been a busy week with all the storms in our area.

jb 8)