Ammo ?’s

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Ammo ?’s

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Have a 45/70 Loaded round with no markings other than 45/70 on case head. Has a jacketed bullet and a heavy crimp about 1/3 of way down from case mouth. It’s loaded with smokeless powder. Any ideas?

2nd is a blue plastic Herter’s 12 gauge shell. Is it for real loads or a training round. It’s all plastic no brass on it. Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Re: Ammo ?’s

Post by Pisgah »

There's no way to know exactly what load the .45-70 is. A brand name on the case head might help, but even that would be no guarantee it's not somebody's gun-shattering reload.

Herter's ammo is made by a variety of manufacturers in Italy and Czech Republic -- all quality stuff, and they do offer an all-plastic 12 ga. "Extra Long Range" load that is blue in color. All-plastic shells have been around for at least a couple of decades.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Pull the bullet and empty it out. Reload as you deem appropriate.

A snap cap??
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Activ was one of the orignal all plastic shells, mid 80's. They were reloadable.
I have another all plastic that is Mexican.
As for the 45-70 I agree you should pull the bullet and reload it with a known load.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

The heavy crimp a third of the way down or so was the factories way of keeping a bullet from sliding down in the case. This was done commonly after the black powder days on straghtwall cases when the BP would keep the bullet from sliding down.....a practice that continued from back in the day to not all that long ago....fifties or sixties with cartridges like 44-40, 38-40, 32-20, and the 45-70 and others like it.

The blue shell.....like others have said, foreign junk probably.---6
Model A Uzi’s
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

They aren’t reloads and I ain’t gonna shoot them. Strictly for display. Only markings on case head is 45-70!!!!
Sixgun,,, primers are rounded and not flat like modern ones. Forgot about how ammo was made when factories transitioned from holy black to smokeless. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BlaineG wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:27 pm Pull the bullet and empty it out. Reload as you deem appropriate.

A snap cap??
+1

NEVER trust an unmarked round or one you don't know for certain is a factory load. I know from painful experience! :shock:
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Pisgah wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:31 pm Herter's ammo is made by a variety of manufacturers in Italy and Czech Republic -- all quality stuff, and they do offer an all-plastic 12 ga. "Extra Long Range" load that is blue in color. All-plastic shells have been around for at least a couple of decades.
Years ago I had some of the all plastic shotgun shells. I don't remember the brand, but I "believe" these were all red. The shot fine and seemed to pattern as well as anything else.