So who's using what?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

So who's using what?

Post by OldWin »

May seem early, but if you have to work up loads, get a cast bullet shooting, or maybe find a rifle, it's almost time to decide what rifle to use for hunting season.
So what is everyone packin' this year?

I'm getting back to my roots. Gonna run a 20" 94 carbine in 30-30. My first rifle, in fact. I shot my first deer with it; a big doe right behind the head at 65 yards. Never shot another with it. By then, I was getting into old guns and started using all sorts of different models and chamberings over many years.
When I was young, the 30-30, chambered in a 94 or 64 Winchester, was the only deer rifle to consider. It went back at least a couple generations in my family. So much so, that when I was a little kid, I thought every lever action was a Winchester, and a 30-30.
Anyway, sorry for rambling. Just curious what everyone else is going to use.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: So who's using what?

Post by AJMD429 »

I keep falling back on my favorite three 44 Mags:

1. normal poor-light woods hunting - Ruger 96/44 with a 3-9x scope and <gasp> a pistol laser under the scope.
2. good-light hunting or bright mid-days in the woods - Marlin 1894 SS with Williams FP rear sight without aperture.
3. rainy nasty days - Ruger 77/44 'all-weather' with NECG aperture rear sight.

They work so well I get lazy and never work up loads for the many others who should get their turn... :oops:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

That reminds me Doc!
I have the little 44 Trapper I did the half cock conversion on. Have an XS peep on it. Its a neat little rig. Probably pack it on iffy weather days when I don't want to use my old ones.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

.450 Marlin with the SBH on my hip! Going to take the M1A Scout rifle along too.
Going hog hunting in Southern OH. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I doubt i`ll be hunting but if i was i would probably take the Marlin Cowboy 45-70, second choice would be the 1919 Win. rifle in 30-30 :)
Then again i might take the 54 cal. matchlock or the 54 cal Blue Ridge or the 75 cal. mules ear i made.
Or the Rem. 81 in 35 Rem. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

Savage 99...250-3000

Got an Antelope tag to fill this fall.
:wink:
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

My serious antler hunting rifle will be my old Tikka 308, but during doe season I'll whip out the 336 30-30 for just pure fun.
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

I have a wedding I have to attend that just happened to be scheduled for opening weekend :oops: So I'll probably end up taking my tired and true .30-06 only because my time will be short (if I do get to go at all). I finally found a load for my 1895 .30-40 so that's what I'd intended to use, I'll probably end up saving that for next year now though.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Depends on where I might be.
If in the Catskills I might use my Henry 41 mag or my Ruger 44 carbine.
If here at home it could be my Savage 220 20 ga slug gun or my Benelli with 00.
The one gun I'll definitely be carrying around is my new Rizzini 28.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

New to me Beretta .45-70 double for hogs
Simson .405 WCF double for black bear and exotics

1886 .45-90 with DG loads for anything that the first two won't kill. :shock:
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

It all depends on if I am able to walk the woods this year. Reckon first choice will be one of three 94 30-30 carbines. Next Will be Rossi 92 .357 carbine or maybe grandsons Winchester94 16nch .45 Colt trapper. Handgun will either be Colt SAA .45 Colt 5 1/2 inch, or Taurus 431 .44special. It all depends on my health. Will be hunting about 50 yards behind the house. I have been thinking about the 1898 30-40 Krag, 30 inch barrel and all.
Last edited by JerryB on Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

My old marlin 336 .32 Spl.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

rossi stainless 357, 24" octagonal barrel with red dot sight. I spent 20 years using centrefires up to and including 375H&H but sold them off years ago when I quit the shooting sports. Then after a few years I got the itch again and this little 357 covers everything I need.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

This year I have a deer tag and a Bull elk tag for Colorado, a buck tag and two doe tags for Pennsylvania. I will take a Savage in 300wm as primary, Old Remington 700 left hand in 06 as a backup to Colorado. I would like to get a doe with my crossbow, and I am taking an 1886 (currently a SRC though obviously not original barrel bu t not lettered) made in 1892 for a doe gun. My Pa buck rifle TBD. Maybe the takedown 1895 Marlin in 45-70
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Good stuff, all!
Couple of you guys reminded me, don't forget those handguns!
Me? Gonna be my old 5.5" Colt SAA .45. On days I want something light, my Colt New Frontier .22.
Muddly
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Muddly »

Ordinarily my muzzleloaders would be first choice. Not this year though. Nothing leaves the cabinet until my 1937 ( or 38) Model 99 EG .30-30 get some blood on her. I can not wait! Gonna be SOOOO fine!
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

Too many options still in play here. Got enough that haven't taken a deer for me yet that I doubt I'll get through 'em all before kicking off. Added a Model 71 to the stable early this summer and got a new Savage Scout from work for # of years put in there, neither of which is moving me along in a helpful direction. Guess I'll just have to live longer than planned is all. :lol:

On a brighter note, I had a moment earlier in the week while contemplating what to take to the range today when one of the Marlin .45-70s was definitely the kid in class that's wildly waving their arms, going "Pick me, me, me!" That's put it at the head of the list for now.

Also contemplating taking the oldest Contender frame wearing an original style skinny grip and a skinny octagonal barrel in .44 Mag. It's not so fun to shoot in that configuration, but does bring it back to actually being a handgun that can be holstered and carried with a minimum of fuss and bother.
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

This season I plan to use my BSA Lee speed in 303,my Ruger no 1 also in 303 and my Browning 86. Carbine.
For muzzleloader season my Vollmer swiss 1851 feldstutzer repro
Last edited by barbarossa on Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If I can get a chance to go this year, I have a .35 Remington caliber Marlin 336 that has never been used for anything other than targets. It is getting a little depressed.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Muzzle loader will take T/C Hawkins shooting round ball, if pigs are showing up will use CVA wolf with 300 grain XTP Sabot.
If walking will have my 1894FG shooting 215 grain GC bullets
If hunting a clear cut(they logged off part of my lease this year) Probably my T/C Venture in 25/06 or one of my Sweedes.
On stand in woods whatever I feel like toting at the time.
Night pig hunting if they are around 300 BO with ATN X sight shooting 160 grain RNGC bullet.
Side arm will be Model 57 shooting the same ammo as the FG.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

It will use caps or a flint to start things off.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

For rifle hunting (deer), I intend to use my 1914 Savage .303 Model 1899-H for walking/stalking, and My .250 Savage tang-safety Ruger Model 77R for sitting sun-up/sun-down where I'll have a chance at a longer shot than in the swamps I usually hunt..

For black powder (muzzleloading) season, I'll keep on using my .45 T/C Seneca.

For squills & such, I think I'll dust off & use a .22LR pump action 1928 Marlin Model 38, or my .22LR Belgian Browning T2 T-Bolt Deluxe.

I'm also planning a little woods-walking with the 20ga hammer SxS I glommed onto last Fall.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Good stuff guys.
The fact that so many are already thinking about it just warms my heart! :D
The older I get, the less I care about shooting game. I still get every bit as excited to go as I did as a kid, however. Nothing better than packing an old Winchester on a nice fall day.

Keep em' coming.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Hoyt compound bow mt sport
Knight muzzleloader 50
Win Mod 70 3006
Marlin 30a 3030
and a few win 94s in 32ws, 44, 357, 38-55
and rem 11-87
and if I have to...a big stick
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
32-20
Levergunner

Post by 32-20 »

I'll be out with a Win. model 55 in 25-35
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

OldWin wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:18 am
The older I get, the less I care about shooting game. I still get every bit as excited to go as I did as a kid, however.

Yep - These days, I much prefer the camaraderie with my hunting partners and just watching Mother Nature doing what she always does. :roll:

If a deer decides to commit suicide in front of me, I'll accommodate it - but will definitely have my Son & his friends retrieve it. (we've always evenly shared any game taken - excepting the antlers - which go to the shooter) :mrgreen:

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Pete44ru wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:47 pm
OldWin wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:18 am
The older I get, the less I care about shooting game. I still get every bit as excited to go as I did as a kid, however.

Yep - These days, I much prefer the camaraderie with my hunting partners and just watching Mother Nature doing what she always does. :roll:

If a deer decides to commit suicide in front of me, I'll accommodate it - but will definitely have my Son & his friends retrieve it. (we've always evenly shared any game taken - excepting the antlers - which go to the shooter) :mrgreen:

That's the right way to do it, my friend.