What Happens, Performance-wise, Shooting Factory Ammo in an AI Gun?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

What Happens, Performance-wise, Shooting Factory Ammo in an AI Gun?

Post by Blaine »

I know that's one of the ways to make brass, but is it useful for hunting or ?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What Happens, Performance-wise, Shooting Factory Ammo in an AI Gun?

Post by vancelw »

I've never had an AI caliber gun.
But supposedly, that's one main benefit of it. That you can shoot regular ammo out of it with no I'll effect and end up with AI formed brass to boot.

I almost bought a Kimber Montana in .280 Rem AI but snoozed too long. The Leupold vx6 scope retailed for twice what they wanted for the rifle and scope.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I have a 257 AI that I put together. Mexican Mauser, Shilen bbl, nice hunk of Claro walnut.
Short answer is the brass flows into the new shoulder very nicely!
Velocities of factory is a tad lower, I never bothered to check accuracy. Gotta trim some after fire forming but I've never lost a case from forming.
If memory serves, I used a factory round for head space gauge, set to just touch the datum of neck / shoulder. This prevents cases from separating.

Oh yeah, this rifle is kinda strange, it doesn't shoot great groups at 100 but let it stretch its legs a bit, say 200 and groups come right tight. It drove me nuts while developing loads. No idea how many weights, styles, makes t tried!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

On my 6mm Remington AI factory loads perform well in fire forming, I've shot prairie dogs and stuff with them but just on the chance that Murphy might show up I never shot at deer or elk while fire forming brass.
The 280 AI is different in that there are several "dimensions" used, some on the 30-06 and some on the 30-03 (longer case), different shoulder angle.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Sorry its NOT Claro but bastone!
See-
20180815_180440-600x800.jpg
20180815_180429-600x800.jpg
This was my 3rd rifle that I put together while attending TSJC gunsmith program.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Our erstwhile formite Bestlever loaded for his Son's 30WCF AI: 130 grain pointy bullets. A double rifle of sorts that approached 2800fps, so the story goes and a death ray on deer so the story goes. Sounds interesting.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I have never owned a gun chambered for an AI round, but I do own a Brown Model 97D chambered for .300 Bench Rest Magnum. This round is akin to the .30-30 AI, although the detailed specs differ. Fireforming .300 BRM brass is a simple matter of firing factory .30-30 rounds in the rifle -- they come out as perfectly-formed .300 BRM cases. While accuracy with .30-30 is not quite up to what the gun is capable of with my .300 loads the rifle is still the most accurate .30-30 I have ever owned, and that ain't too shabby.