You know you've made the right choice when...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Muddly
Levergunner 1.0

You know you've made the right choice when...

Post by Muddly »

You see a mint BLR .358, a 1980 production Marlin 444 and not one but 2 94 BB .375 Winchesters literally NIB as they're still wrapped in their boxes and you think " Nope. My M99 30-30 will do nicely thanks"
Ah, confidence IS a wonderful thing...
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: You know you've made the right choice when...

Post by JerryB »

You are right!!! the 30wcf has served just fine since 1895. Still taking game.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

You, Sir, are among the greatest bunch of enablers to be found anywhere. You do have an excellent rifle, but those others could be an investment. They will gain in value. Additionally, your rifle may get lonely when you are not around.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Muddly
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Muddly »

I hear you on the investment angle. Used it several times myself...
As far as my double 30 getting lonely, heck, I can't walk past the cabinet without picking her up. Almost Pavlovian... Besides, my 2 Black Diamonds, a Super 45 (1-20) and a 50 XR , are both playing nice. Quite a surprise that. Muzzleloaders are more jealous than women!
Still, the .358 BLR was rather nice. Recoil though...
The .30-30 M99 will do everything I want/need a rifle to do. Even more so when I get an aperture sight on board and SOMEBODY starts consistently sticking suitable bullets! I mean COME ON GUYS! Its not like there aren't 20 million .30-30' s out there!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Muddly wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:14 pmYou see a mint BLR .358, a 1980 production Marlin 444 and not one but 2 94 BB .375 Winchesters literally NIB as they're still wrapped in their boxes and you think " Nope. My M99 30-30 will do nicely thanks"
Ah, confidence IS a wonderful thing...
Not necessarily "right"... but not altogether wrong either. Simply "a" choice. Sorta like being at the pet store, seeing the display from the animal shelter and thinkin': "... I've got one ol' dog at home... what do I need a new puppy for...?" :twisted: :P :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Muddly
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Muddly »

Over the years I've probably had close to 50 rifles, but for one reason or another they didn't keep. Usually found some real or imagined fault, or needed money or got smitten by something else. Just never found THAT rifle. For some reason, this M99 .30-30 has dug in like a tick. Oddly enough, the Savage 99 was a rifle that never really did anything for me. Kinda funny looking...Probably would've let this one pass me by, but she's a .30-30. My favorite caliber. That makes her different enough to invoke the " Cool" factor.And her having seen so little use, usually a strike against for me no history to wonder about, is a plus in this case. Hard to wear out a properly maintained .30-30. Not like they're making more of them...
Once I get the tang sight and mount it up, I am confident with this ol' girl to 200 yards. 150 for bigger than deer.
Makes it sweeter that I wasn't looking for this rifle. I was looking for a project rifle to work on, to keep my hands off the 3 rifles I sold to get the money to buy this one.
Funny how things work out. Someday I'll go on my dream hunt ( elk) and I'll love to see the face of my guide when I pull an aperture sighted Savage 99 .30-30 out and tell him to get me muzzleloader close.