A big "What The..." moment at the range

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

A big "What The..." moment at the range

Post by 2ndovc »

Taking advantage of the cooler temperatures this week, I've been out shooting a bit.

I went out yesterday with my little Martini Cadet in .25-20 and the Marlin 94P.

Everything was going perfectly with the Martini up first, hadn't had it out in awhile and not disappointed.

Pulled out the Marlin and loaded it with my usual 240 gr. LSWCGC / 10.5 Gr. of Unique. This load shoots extremely well in all of my revolvers.
Just wanted to put a few down range, since I haven't had it out in a long time. Looked at my target and thought, WTF?
At 25 yds they were all over the place, and when I pulled the target a couple had keyholed! I fired about 15 more roounds and got the same results.
Wondering what the heck was going on, I put it away and headed home. I was really trying to figure out what happend when I remembered late last night that the 94P never liked cast bullets. Headed back out this morning with multiple boxes of .44 Magnums and remebered that it likes a heavier bullet and a hotter load.

All that time in the hospital and the induced coma really messed up my memory. I'd completely forgotten about the cast bullet thing and that 94. I've run ito people I've known fairly well before I got sick and have no idea who they are, sometime even after they tell me. It's a bit scary sometimes.

Anyway, mystery solved and I've ordered some more Sierra 250s. I'll have to try some 300 grain bullets too, just for kicks. :D

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: A big "What The..." moment at the range

Post by 3leggedturtle »

That Martini is neat little rifle. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very cool rifle, glad ya got some shootin in Jason. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jason, glad you got that sorted out. Those memory gaps have to be disconcerting. At least you came by them honestly. In my case, I can only blame age and excess beer. :lol:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey now I LIKE that Martini!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks Guys,

I had the Martini made up some time ago. When I bought it, it had been converted to .357 Mag, but the bore was oversized and not the best job so I got it pretty cheap. I had the Parker Hale sights from when I was collecting Cadet rifles. Had a new Green Mtn, ( I think, maybe Shaw?) barrel put on by a local guy. Turned out pretty slick. I picked the .25-20 because I have thousands of cast .257s from my grandfather's stash. He was a big fan of the quarter bores. :D Makes a nice light little small game rifle.

Bill,
The memory issues are getting better as time passes, but every once and awhile it's a real kick in the tush!

jb 8)

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bill,
The memory issues are getting better as time passes, but every once and awhile it's a real kick in the tush!
:shock: :o So, you don't remember that 10K you borrowed?? :lol: :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

BlaineG wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:26 pm
Bill,
:shock: :o So, you don't remember that 10K you borrowed?? :lol: :lol:
Ahh, dollars I don't forget! That and hot blondes! :D

jb 8)

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Just a suggestion:

Maybe you can temporarily make a small note for each gun, with it's favorite load, and tape one to each gun, until you stabilize after your trauma.

I've finally learned to place notes or item where I literally have to trip over them, to jog my memory (Ahhhhh - the Golden Ages).

wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

What are your cast 44 bullets sized? The M94 44 I had only shot cast well if sized .430-.431.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've run ito people I've known fairly well before I got sick and have no idea who they are, sometime even after they tell me. It's a bit scary sometimes. "

....then I spoze you forgot you promised to trade me that 25-20 for that gen-u-ine army surplus AR-15 magazine with the only-slightly-bent feed lips.... :(
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Pete44ru wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:22 pm .

Just a suggestion:

Maybe you can temporarily make a small note for each gun, with it's favorite load, and tape one to each gun, until you stabilize after your trauma.

I've finally learned to place notes or item where I literally have to trip over them, to jog my memory (Ahhhhh - the Golden Ages).

Pete,

I have a couple of binders that I have that stuff in, but didn't think to check before I headed to the range. Wouldn't have done me any good though, never put down anything for the 94P. It does now. :shock:

Wolfdog,
I don't think I've ever slugged the bore on this rifle, You may be right, but I'm pretty sure the cast bullets I was shooting were .430

Doc,

You're a funny guy! :D

jb 8)