Noticed something about the Trophy Quest .30-30 shows

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Muddly
Levergunner 1.0

Noticed something about the Trophy Quest .30-30 shows

Post by Muddly »

Within its range, the .30-30 can do the job on just about any critter in North America. I was really curious to see how this fellow made out on moose and griz with his. He used the Buffalo Bore 190 grain loads and REALLY flattened a nice Bullwinkle!
Curiously though, it was more like he was using the old .303 Savage ( 190 @ 1960 fps) than a .30-30. Anybody else notice this?
Nothing wrong with the load, but I would be liked to have seen what a 170 grainer would've done. Probably not much different.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Noticed something about the Trophy Quest .30-30 shows

Post by Rusty »

I'm not sure how you would do a search on it but there have quite a few pictures of moose and elk on this site that have been killed with the .30-30. The .30-30 is a fine cartridge within it's limitations.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Thanks for pointing out those loads. It appears Buffalo Bore is loading a 190-grain Hawk flat point to 2100. That should be a potent load indeed within 150-200 yards. I remember old Sam Fadala writing that he liked to pull the 190s from .303 Savage cartridges and load them to the max for his .30-30. That Savage load was considered serious elk medicine back in the day. Maybe the "old dead guys" were onto something, eh?
8)
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

The .303 Savage was often factory loaded with "silver tips" or "bronze points".
I believe, early premium quality bullets helped build its reputation.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

I saw a youtube video on a moose hunt in the Yukon with a Buffalo Bore 190 gr. 30-30.
The shot was about 150 yards, one shot dead moose. I was impressed have wanted to
try one myself except my first moose shot was 270 yards, too far for the 30-30.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

daisygordoninc wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:41 am
my first moose shot was 270 yards, too far for the 30-30.

Naaaah - remember, practice makes perfect............ :wink:

TWHBC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TWHBC »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:58 am Thanks for pointing out those loads. It appears Buffalo Bore is loading a 190-grain Hawk flat point to 2100. That should be a potent load indeed within 150-200 yards. I remember old Sam Fadala writing that he liked to pull the 190s from .303 Savage cartridges and load them to the max for his .30-30. That Savage load was considered serious elk medicine back in the day. Maybe the "old dead guys" were onto something, eh?
8)
I remember that article also. My old Gun Digests disappeared during a basement flooding years ago.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

The 30-30 is one of the most underrated cartridges there is, and has been since the sixties. It became fashionable for gun writers to dump all over it.
People who didn't read gun rags kept right on doing what had been done for over 60 years with it.
If you do what you're supposed to when hunting; be mindful of your range and shot placement, it's plenty of cartridge for most critters.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

If you want a 30/30 bullet that will ko elk, moose or bears load up some beartooth 173gr. hard cast FNGC they penetrate and work just fine. danny
1894c

Post by 1894c »

All I have ever hunted with is either a Winchester 94 Trapper, Marlin 336, and recently a Marlin 336Y (Marlin trapper) in .30 WCF. I really like the 30/30, I like how it shoots, like the fact that's it's a levergun. And yes I know I have to limit my range to 25 yards... :)
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have killed deer with a 94 30wcf but OL' '30-30 says he would shoot one all the way out to 25 yards. Yes the 30-30 will kill game accurately on out there a ways. Years ago when I had better eyes I killed a ground hog at 220 yards. It didn't even need a follow up shot.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

OldWin wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:24 pm The 30-30 is one of the most underrated cartridges there is, and has been since the sixties. It became fashionable for gun writers to dump all over it.
People who didn't read gun rags kept right on doing what had been done for over 60 years with it.
If you do what you're supposed to when hunting; be mindful of your range and shot placement, it's plenty of cartridge for most critters.
People who don’t read magazines don’t need to have rifles locked in shooting vice to hit their deer at 150 yards either.
I had a co-worker ask me if a 30/30 would even go 400 yards. He didn’t find it amusing when I asked him if he wanted to catch few a that distance! Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Now, now men. We all know that deer and elk have evolved to be born with kevlar body armor. Why, you just have to shoot the latest whiz bang super speed rifle to even have a sporting chance. There is a rumor that next year's deer will be immune to lead. It is just going to bounce right off. :lol:
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yeah. I want one of those rifles that makes it not matter if you can shoot. You know, gut shot, leg shot, don't matter. They go right down.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

In its heyday, common 30-30 loads were used on all manner of game including some large, irritable species with a propensity for vacuuming the human gene pool. In 1895 John Horton of Kalispel, MT used one to kill a huge grizzly that had terrorized that area, killing men and cattle, for nearly 20 years. In 1965, a world-record grizzly fell to one .30/30 bullet fired by Jack Turner. In dire circumstances we use what we have. While dangerous game is not the forte of the little cowboy gun, a 30-30 lever action is handy enough to always have along. For all the developments in ammunition for this cartridge, I’m a little disappointed that nobody makes a flat-nosed, heavy-jacket FMJ bullet more suitable to these purposes.

It is great fun to explode jugs of water at 400 yards with a necked-down lightning bolt and for quarter-mile hunting, the 30-30 is a waste of time. But about 85% of real-world rifle chores can be handled by a good shot with a 94 Winchester and 110 years of technological advances hasn’t changed that. If you see beauty in utility, it is the Sophia Loren of hunting rifles.
http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/in-defe ... inchester/
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That was a nice tribute to the .30 WCF, Sarge. Thanks for posting the link.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

3leggedturtle wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:30 pm
People who don’t read magazines don’t need to have rifles locked in shooting vice to hit their deer at 150 yards either.
I had a co-worker ask me if a 30/30 would even go 400 yards. He didn’t find it amusing when I asked him if he wanted to catch few a that distance! Todd
I'm always amazed by people who own guns and shoot a fair amount, but think certain calibers just drop from the sky at a designated distance. When you start talking bullet arcs of flight that are 50'-60' at their peak they look at you like you're nuts. But even the little .22LR will consistently hit at 500 yds. if the shooter knows his gun and has a good long range tang sight on the gun.
Shooting these calibers that are usually considered 150 yd. or less calibers, and stretching them out many times that far, is a lot of fun.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Vall, it's always "interesting" to consider the maximum safe distance for target pullers pulling targets for black powder cartridge shooters. At some point in their arc, those big cast and paper patch bullets are coming in like mortar rounds. You have to get the math right to keep the pullers safe. Trying to recall where I saw a discussion of this.

8)
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Billy Dixon's famous shot at the battle of adobe walls with a .45-70 proved that even the big slow bullets with a rainbow trajectory could reach about 1 mile. No chance that I could do it, but it happened.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

Did they ever actually do the show on a grizzly? I couldn't find it.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Actually, Piller, Billy Dixon is believed to have used a borrowed Sharps in .50-90 for that famous shot. I visited the site of the battle about 20 years ago with my daughter. It is just a few miles downstream on the Canadian from where my grandmother grew up.

Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

He did borrow the rifle he made the famous shot with, the guy who actually owned it was killed in the attack. The downside of the Billy Dixon story, if I remember correctly, is that he took the rifle away with him afterwards, and the man's widow had great trouble either getting it back or payment from him.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

OldWin wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:24 pm If you do what you're supposed to when hunting; be mindful of your range and shot placement, it's plenty of cartridge for most critters.
That's the problem. Too many deer shot in the hindquarters or guts, then they say "I hit him with my 30-30 and he just ran right off".