Making Black Powder

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Making Black Powder

Post by Bridger »

https://www.skylighter.com/collections/ ... owder-kits

Think the powder from these kits, especially the one that doesn't require a mill or whatever that is, will make powder suitable for loading metallic cartridges? Might be fun to play with...
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Re: Making Black Powder

Post by Pisgah »

Just remember -- black powder factories are constructed to minimize the damage when, not if, they blow up. And they do blow up, regularly.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

Well then...I was not aware of that lol
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Stevie »

Build your powder mill from heavy/sturdy timbers….nail the exterior on loosely and made of light stuff so when it blows it just blows the exterior off!
Muddly
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Muddly »

Also remember that black powder is classified as an explosive by the federal govt and licenses are required to legally manufacture it. You do NOT want to run afoul of the BATFE. They play for keeps! Besides, its too easy to blow yourself up...
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Muddly wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:08 pm Also remember that black powder is classified as an explosive by the federal govt and licenses are required to legally manufacture it. You do NOT want to run afoul of the BATFE. They play for keeps! Besides, its too easy to blow yourself up...

Just like making guns, making your own powder is perfectly legal. It's making it and selling it to others that requires a license.

It's just not the safest hobby you can have, and it's certain to cause a stir if you have close neighbors who find out about it! :lol:
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I remember going to the store to get salt peter to make black powder in my teens. Had a mail order black powder pistol to feed.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If you want to make your own Black Powder, just be sure to follow all safety procedures each and every time. Just one little spark at the wrong moment can cause the whole batch to ignite. Not a good outcome.

I know some people who make homemade fireworks using their own homemade Black Powder. They are completely obsessed with safety, and all of them still have a complete set of working digits and eyebrows. Should you decide to go ahead and get a kit and make your own, never skip even 1 safety procedure. Once you get familiar with the process, you might find a shortcut to save time. Don't take the shortcut. You may get away with it once or twice, but it will eventually turn around and bite you in the butt---HARD.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

All of these safety admonitions apply equally to store bought black powder.
That is why Pyrodex is so readily available.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Over on Castro Boolit forumn there’s a few guts who make their own BP. Some good reading on it. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Muddly
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Muddly »

Dont forget, the guy who came up with Pyrodex died in a Pyrodex plant explosion...
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

I learned the contents of black powder from the "World Book Encyclopedia" when I was eight (bet it's not in there anymore) though it was another two years before I was able to make any. we ended up with a mixture that burned slowly and fitfully and left a very large clump of hard fouling in the iron sink we burned it in. The ingredients came in a Gilbert chemistry set and yes, there were instructions in the set's booklet on how to make it. It was quite a different world in the mid 50's.

I looked at the kits and instructions and wonder even if one followed the directions and safety procedures meticulously they would end up with anything better than fireworks grade powder. The How-to on the site states that it takes 7 to 10 grams of the home made powder to get the same results as 4 grams of GOEX 2f and I suspect the fouling from the kit powder would be much worse. I would also have a concern as to the results being consistent enough to make it worthwhile for firearms use. It might be interesting and fun to make a batch but given the risks and time involved I think I'll just buy my powder.