Benchresting a levergun.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Benchresting a levergun.

Post by jnyork »

I had an opportunity to go to the range a few days ago and try some different brands of ammo in my Marlin 39A. I had always heard that in order to benchrest a levergun, you should hold the forend in your hand the same way you would hold it normally, then rest the back of your hand on the front rest . I did this with 4 different types of ammo, got a really good 15-shot group with the SK+, other brands not so hot. Anyway, just for fun I shot another group resting the forend on the front rest and got noticably worse results by about double the size of the previous group. I guess in this case , I read it on the internet and it WAS true!! :D
PS, other ammo types in order of best to worse group: Norma Tac-22, Federal Automatch, CCI SV (WAY worse than the others).
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Re: Benchresting a levergun.

Post by gundownunder »

Usually the hand thing is because the rest without the hand can alter the POI. When I test ammo in my 39A I usually use the rest without my hand, and bolt a scope on as well. Funny thing about 22s, price may be a good indicator of ammo quality, but it doesn't always have a bearing on what will shoot best in a particular gun. I've tested match grade ammo costing $25 a packet and gotten worse results than I have with a $3 box of plinking ammo. My goto is normally CCI minimag 40gr solids. I don't hunt with them but for target and silhouette work they get me groups of .4 of an inch for 5 shot groups at 50 meters consistently, and for me thats good enough from a lever action without any accurizing work other than a 2 pound trigger.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Yep.

The recipe for benching rifles with 2-piece stacks:

Pull the forend down on the front rest with the forehand betwixt gun & rest back while the trigger hand pulls the buttstock back hard into the shoulder, all the time ensuring that no portion of the stocks touch anything other than a body part (no benchtops, etc).

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I put the gun in both hands with no rear support and put the forend in my left front hand with the hand on a soft gym bag. I think this comes close to a field position. To me anything else may alter the POI. Do anything you like.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

With all apologies to Kirk, I don't think this is more likely to change the POI than make the effort more precise but anyone can do they like.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BTW, speaking of 'ammo preference' in 22 LR's - Paco's "Accurizer" that I can't spell really helps accuracy in my lever and bolt action 22's. Tested it years ago. Fun to make concave-nose out of bulk 22 LR also.

http://www.pacotools.com/tool_discriptions
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Doc, thanks for reminding me that I bought an "Accurizer" many years ago as well. Never really played with it much -- but ought to.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I got an Acu'rzr a few years ago and processed a bunch of different ammo. The best all around 22lr, that works well in all my 22s is plain old Blazer 40 gr. solids. I run them through my Acu'rzr using the small hollow pointing tool and the swaged ammo is about 25% more accurate...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I have had very good results when developing loads on a two-piece lever putting a strip of tape on the forearm and front bag. The piece on the forearm is approximately where I normally hold the rifle and the one on the bag is at the highest point. Line the two pieces of tape up the same for each shot.
On that Win 94 357(360 DW) I sold 86er the bench printed a full two inches left of field holds. My 1886 EL prints 1" higher and 1" left from the bench, my Browning BLR TD 358 Win and my old 1892 32-20 do not change. Those are the only levers I've really worked on accurate loads for.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com