Custer battle Colt SAA

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Custer battle Colt SAA

Post by Pitchy »

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Custer battle Colt SAA

Post by marlinman93 »

Pretty darn cool! And even more interesting is his method for bringing up the number! I've heard of the process, but never seen it done. Too scared to try it before, but I have several relic guns and may see about trying this on an old 1893 Marlin saddle ring carbine a friend found in his creek decades ago and gave to me.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Now, he needs to find who that gun was issued to.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Talk about "sellers remorse"!!!!!...... :D

I personally would not have bothered with the frame etching as it's a no brainer to see the gun is about welded together.----6
Model A Uzi’s
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Interesting relic... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That's very cool. Boy, he has a delicate touch with that Foredom tool.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Cool find.
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Wonder how much he paid for it at the show :shock:
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I was wondering that too. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

How much did he pay?.......I've seen lots of this stuff over the years and my guess is that he paid about $100 for it. NO DOUBT........at auction it would most likely go for 10-$20,000 ........or more.----6
Model A Uzi’s
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IMHO, he needlessly worked on the frame SN, as it's well documented that Colt applied the frame SN to all the major parts in that era.

Custer collectors can get crazy about a documented relic like this, and I would think that in a well-advertised major gun auction like Sotheby's, the opening bid would most likely be at least $20K, never mind what it would actually sell for (IMO, $100K, +/- ).

Deep pocket museums would also be hot for it, too.

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Sixgun wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:07 pm Talk about "sellers remorse"!!!!!...... :D

I personally would not have bothered with the frame etching as it's a no brainer to see the gun is about welded together.----6
With military guns it's a necessity to ensure all numbers match. Arsenals have always swapped parts around, so 150 years later there's no telling if the cylinder number he saw was going to match the frame. Now he knows for sure it's the correct numbers. This also adds to the value to prospective buyers because he documented the process on video, and they can see there's not hank panky with numbers being faked. Colt collectors and shady gunsmiths can fake all sorts of stuff, so he did the right thing to ensure it's not a fake.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

marlinman93 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:36 am
Sixgun wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:07 pmTalk about "sellers remorse"!!!!!...... :D

With military guns it's a necessity to ensure all numbers match. Arsenals have always swapped parts around, so 150 years later there's no telling if the cylinder number he saw was going to match the frame. Now he knows for sure it's the correct numbers. This also adds to the value to prospective buyers because he documented the process on video, and they can see there's not hank panky with numbers being faked. Colt collectors and shady gunsmiths can fake all sorts of stuff, so he did the right thing to ensure it's not a fake.
I could understand that with a gun that been issued and re-issued... but with it being documented as having been dug up in 1933 after being in the dirt since 1876... but I agree, he did the right thing, the right way.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I bet a Turnbull makeover could take 100 years off that gun.

Then it would only have a half-inch of rust.

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Griff wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:05 pm
marlinman93 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:36 am
Sixgun wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:07 pmTalk about "sellers remorse"!!!!!...... :D

I could understand that with a gun that been issued and re-issued... but with it being documented as having been dug up in 1933 after being in the dirt since 1876... but I agree, he did the right thing, the right way.
But we only know it's that same 1933 dug up gun because he revealed the frame markings. Otherwise the missing 1933 gun could have been that frame number, and over the years the cylinder could have ended up on another gun. If he had revealed the frame serial number and it didn't match, then it would mean some armorer had swapped some parts in the 150 years the gun had been around. Now he has confirmation it is totally correct, and indeed that same gun dug up in 1933, and unknown for all these years.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Marlinman,
Good call. I never had bought about that....now it's confirmed.----6
Model A Uzi’s