'73 Winchester in Action!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

'73 Winchester in Action!

Post by Wayne Miller »

This is a video of me shooting my Uberti '73 Winchester Short Rifle in .45 Colt. The load is a 250gr Lyman RNFP over 36gr of Goex fffg in Winchester cases with a Winchester Large Pistol Primer touching it off. I was shooting at a rock over the creek bank about 50 yards away. I think I hit it.....from what I could tell through the cloud....

Wayne Miller
(Known as "Mossyrock" elsewhere)

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Beautiful!!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Some people post pictures; Wayne posts movies! :D

Wayne - looks like you can fire that 1873 a tad bit faster than the Spencer! :wink:

And what's with the jacket? Were in shorts here, and the kids will be going swimming tomorrow! :D
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wayne Miller »

When I was shooting, it was about 55 degrees and raining like a cow peeing on a flat rock....not optimal range weather... :?
Wayne Miller

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I love it! :lol: Tomorrow starts our annual shoot. I'll be shootin' my '51 Navies, a '73 rifle and twice-by; all loaded up with charcoal and sulfur! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Now you have done it, the enviro will be up your nose for putting lead in that creek
win40-82
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win40-82 »

I think you should get the Post Of The Year Award, loved it.
there is no such thing as a miss if you still have ammo
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

fantastic post. Love seeing BP used in these rifles. Thanks for taking the time to video that.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Oh,How sweet it is :D !Thanks for sharing 8) !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Thanks Wayne, I've never seen BP shot in one of the old style levers. I find interesting how big a puff of smoke comes out the action on firing (before the action is cycled). It appears a fair amount escapes before the case seals the chamber. Does this also happen when shooting BP in thin walled brass such as the .38 and .44 WCF?
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wayne Miller »

KWK wrote:Thanks Wayne, I've never seen BP shot in one of the old style levers. I find interesting how big a puff of smoke comes out the action on firing (before the action is cycled). It appears a fair amount escapes before the case seals the chamber. Does this also happen when shooting BP in thin walled brass such as the .38 and .44 WCF?
Not really. The failing of the .45 Colt in a BP rile is the lack of a shoulder to seal the chamber like a 44-40. I am going to experiment with annealing the case necks and just neck sizing them to see if that helps. This was the first firing with new brass to fit it to the chambers. Now the serious stuff starts....
Wayne Miller

Lone Watie
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

looks like a lotta fun to me!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Wayne,

Great video, I loved it.

From one Miller to another, would you care to adopt me? I'd love to live in the woods where I can shoot. My uncle lived up there till he died about 5 or so years ago. And I got .45 Colt lever guns and loaded black powder ammo too.

Get with our own W30WCF, he does/did a lot of work with black powder .45 Colts in rifles. He pretty much does what you are going to do. Anneals the cases then neck sizes them. He told me it works great in his Marlin Cowboy.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
ShakyJake
Levergunner

Post by ShakyJake »

Hi Wayne,
Jimmie Stewart is smilin' on you. Winchester 73 was one of the best westerns I ever watched and one of best I think he ever did. Was about 19 when it first hit the screen. Lot of good info about wasting ammo, position, etc in the last confrontation. Real Hollywood fluke. Guy who played his brother was excellent, you really hated him. Liked Jimmie Stewart best in Westerns. Man put his soul in his character. Left it all on the screen. You came out drained.
TaKe CaRe
Ted
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I bet that bbl. got just a little hot after that. Nice vid.
Old Law Dawg
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wayne Miller »

kimwcook wrote:I bet that bbl. got just a little hot after that. Nice vid.
A touch warm... :D Want warm? Run four mag tubes, back-to-back, through a 56-50 Spencer! SSSSSSSSMOKIN'!
Wayne Miller

Lone Watie
ole pizen slinger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ole pizen slinger »

My experience has been that these old guns shoot harder with BP than with SP.
ole pizen slinger
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I smell sulfur... 8)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Wayne,
Neat! Thank you. :D If you were to shoot at night, this is what you might see!

Picture is alias "Howdy Doody" at a dusk/night shoot.
Impressive!

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wayne Miller »

Hmmm... Kinda makes you wonder what a night video would look like....Especially with a 56-50 Spencer with full-up BP Warthog loads! :shock:
Wayne Miller

Lone Watie