J Stevens single

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

J Stevens single

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Saw a Stevens model 44 with a half octago n half round barrel chambered in 25/20. No I ain’t gonna buy it. Just curious how durable these were? Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: J Stevens single

Post by Pete44ru »

They're fairly durable, about equal to any other Favorite of the same vintage, and how much it was shot.

They are, however, pretty collectible, especially certain models/features.

The Stevens Model 44 (not the Model 44-1/2) used a swinging (not falling) block action, and seem to have been issued in as many variations (stocks, barrels & sight combo's) as there are hairs on a dog.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yea....Petes right on. I'd like to add that it's a 95% chance that if you look real close on the caliber marking it will read
"25-20 S.S."-----6
Model A Uzi’s
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Sixgun wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:12 pm
it's a 95% chance that if you look real close on the caliber marking it will read
"25-20 S.S."-----6

FWIW, the .25-20 S.S. is a whole 'nother ball of wax from the .25-20 WCF.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I hear ya Pete.....I've handled a fair amount of those Stevens Model 44 single shot rifles....just fixed a guys 44 in .22 L.R. with a heavy half rd./oct. that shoots CCI Green Tag in tight clusters at 50 meters.....figures, he won't sell it. :D

It's just the 25-20 S.S. was a big number with Stevens at the time and it seems they chambered more of their model 44's in "their" 25-20 with the long skinny case and not Winchesters 25-20. I dunno.....just my experience.----6
Model A Uzi’s
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Pete, yep it spawned the 22R Lovell! :mrgreen: todd/3leg
Six, didn’t look too closely if there were any markings after the 25/20. Was going to but got sidetracked by a sporterized Krag.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've seen more Stevens 44's in the Win. .25-20 than the Stevens' .25-20SS. Either is a good cartridge for this model, and the gun is much stronger than a Favorite, but not nearly as strong as the 44 1/2. I'd have no issue with a .44 in either caliber.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

3leggedturtle wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:40 pm
got sidetracked by a sporterized Krag.

Hmmmmmm - Nice co-incidence, as another board member (who lives 20 miles from me) just apprehended a sporterized early .30-40 Krag, and was thinking about a no-drill peepsight for it, for cast boolit shooting.

Maybe he'll post a few pics of it here...… (C'mon, Jas ! :mrgreen: )

JRD
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JRD »

OK, so I’ve been called out...

A Model 1892 Krag, made in 1895 with the updated to 1896 design such as ramrod channel filled, butt trap added, and detent notch added to receiver.
Then was sporterized long ago by someone competent. Barrel shortened to 25” and the front sight seamlessly reattached.
Piece of walnut dovetailed into the stock to add a pistol grip, then stock was checkered. While not a super high end Griffin & Howe conversion, I think whoever did it was a respectable craftsman.
While it may no longer be a collectible military configuration rifle, it’s certainly a pleasure to hold. The Krag action is wonderfully smooth in cycling. This one will become a light load cast boolit shooter.

https://i.imgur.com/kqLSx2i.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/X2csO0i.jpg
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Me likey, Jason - Thanks for responding !

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

That made a real nice looking sporting rifle. I would almost be tempted to have my 1898 made Krag rifle done like that, but it is complete but for the wood over the rear sight and the long top piece to the muzzle. It is a joy to shoot like it is.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15