Looking for Cushioned Socks That Stay Up with Western Boots

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Woodtroll
Levergunner 2.0

Looking for Cushioned Socks That Stay Up with Western Boots

Post by Woodtroll »

I've worn lace-up boots, typically logger-style, for all of my adult life. My wife recently talked me into trying a pair of nice engineer/western style boots as a little bit dressier boot. Now I remember one reason I gave up cowboy boots in my early teens - they eat socks! I can't get my socks to stay up after walking just a few minutes.

Now, to be fair, I've always worn heavy wool socks, which work great with my logger work boots. They stay up great, of course, because they are held firmly in place by the lace-up boot. But, they probably are not the best choice for "cowboy" boots because they are soft and heavily padded.

I figure some of you on this board have found a solution. I want some pretty-well padded socks (because I've already bought the boots sized to the thick socks) that go over the calf and that are made to stay up even if I walk much of the day. They don't have to be wool although I would prefer at least some, and I don't mind to pay for good socks as I only need a couple pair. I am a big guy (size 12 boot) with bigger calves from walking a lot. Do any of you have recommendations for currently available socks that would work for me?

Many thanks!
Regan
Running the ridges and rivers of Virginia's southern Appalachians
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Re: Looking for Cushioned Socks That Stay Up with Western Boots

Post by Pisgah »

Real cowboys don't wear socks.

Now, let's talk about underwear... :lol:
Woodtroll
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodtroll »

Well, I'm no cowboy, just a hillbilly with a new pair of "cowboy" boots. :lol: No, I DO NOT want to discuss underwear, or lack thereof! :shock:
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

And now for a serious answer. Dan Post over the calf shocks. Specifically designed to be worn with western boots.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:idea:
Some of us used these in the military when in dress uniform.
https://www.google.com/search?q=sock+su ... e&ie=UTF-8
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Wore official Scout garters with knee socks in the old Boy Scout summer uniform. Worked great.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Bass Pro sells lifetime wool socks at $10 per pair and they really replace them when they wear out. I've traded in several pair. I highly recommend them. I have 10 pair and think they are the best socks in the world.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Smartwool brand socks.

Check for the ones they have in the hiking category
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

After forty years on concrete flours and steel grates, I found that cushioned socks were the cause of all of my foot trouble.
Cotton ribbed over the calf dress socks are all I wear winter and summer, with my dress boots, my work boots, and my winter packs.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I got my first pair of "western" boots when I was about 9 or 10. That has been my main footwear all of my life, I am about a month from 80 and I have not worn anything but a couple pair of Redwing Irish Setters. I buy my socks at Wallmart . I buy heavy work socks and don't have any trouble with them slipping down.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Wal Mart carries Dickies brand socks. I wear the crew length cotton ones with my Tony Llama boots. I wear Tony Llamas or Justins more than anything else. Cotton socks work fine for them. Make sure that there is not too much room in the heel when you first buy the boots. Heel movement drags your socks down when wearing cowboy boots. That is why real cowboys never walk if they can ride.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I can tell you what sock NOT to buy- my sister gave me a pair of HEAT HOLDER socks. Nice and thick like you are looking for but the only way they stay up is if you duct tape them in place. I tried them last winter with my muck boots while bird hunting. I had to stop and take them off and go commando! They are warm though.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Woodtroll
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodtroll »

Thanks for the replies, everyone, I appreciate the help.

The Redhead wool socks MM Wright mentions have been my go-to socks for years now, but they're not working for me in the pull-on boots. The heel slip does indeed seem to be "eating" them. I'll take a look at the brands y'all specifically mentioned, and also appreciate the warning about what NOT to buy!

As far as garters, I was thinking of these :wink: :

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076PZXNSJ/re ... b674a35291

With those in place and suspenders on my pants, ain't nothin' goin' nowhere! Not sure what happens when I have to visit the restroom in a hurry though...

Thank you all, have a great day!
Regan
bmtshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bmtshooter »

Yep .... too much room at the heel will make socks move. Problem is loose boot fit, not a sock issue.
NRA life member
Woodtroll
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodtroll »

bmtshooter wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:31 am Yep .... too much room at the heel will make socks move. Problem is loose boot fit, not a sock issue.
Agreed, but I'm in a bind on the size. Due to an old ankle injury, I don't have enough foot/ankle flex to get my right foot into and out of a size 12 western boot (my normal lace-up size). Since most manufacturers don't do a 12-1/2 size, that moves me into a 13. The idea behind getting the engineer's boots was that once I got my foot in, I could tighten down the instep strap to tighten the boot up on my foot. It seems to be working reasonably well, but a pull-on boot will never be as tight as a 12" tall lace-up logger boot. It will always feel loose to me, because it is not cinched around my ankle and calf.

I am going to try a couple different insole inserts to see if that will snug up the fit but still allow me to get the boots on. If that and the better socks don't help, I will write the whole thing off as a bad idea and be done with it. I won't wear these enough to invest in a custom pair of pull-on western boots; I have a couple pair of nice lace-up packers already. Or, if there's something obvious I'm missing, please don't hesitate to point it out to me. I'm not too proud to admit I know little about western boots. As I said before, I'm a hillbilly, not a cowboy!

Thanks for the discussion, folks, I really appreciate it.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

jeepnik wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:27 pmAnd now for a serious answer. Dan Post over the calf shocks. Specifically designed to be worn with western boots.
These ↑↑ and Justin O-T-C socks. Wear the ALL the time. Buy mine at the local "Cavendder's" store. What I like about the Justin socks is that they come in my size The Dan Post IIRC are 7-13, while Justin breaks that down to 7-9 & 10-13.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I thought about this yesterday but didn't put it in the post. go to Wal mart and buy a pair of their foam in soles. They do really make a difference in the boot fit, I have had to use two pair in some boots.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JerryB wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:00 pmI thought about this yesterday but didn't put it in the post. go to Wal mart and buy a pair of their foam in soles. They do really make a difference in the boot fit, I have had to use two pair in some boots.
Don't buy off-the-shelf boots. Take a trip to Nogales, AZ... visit Paul Bond Boots. They're pricey... but, oh, so WORTH it!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

My son had that trouble with EVERY/ANY boot until he started to order his footwear with narrow heels (inside).

Jes' sayin'

Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

+1 on Paul Bond boots, most comfortable boots I've ever worn.
Woodtroll
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodtroll »

JerryB wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:00 pm I thought about this yesterday but didn't put it in the post. go to Wal mart and buy a pair of their foam in soles. They do really make a difference in the boot fit, I have had to use two pair in some boots.
Thanks, Jerry, that's definitely going to be my next move. More than one way to skin a cat!