'merica....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

'merica....

Post by AJMD429 »

Pretty cool weekend. Able to travel on great modern interstate roads in a reliable car listening to good tunes on a CD player, and CCW all the way from Indiana to the Atlantic ocean without fear of lawbreaking.

None of these things were as good when I was a kid; the car even gets twice the mileage of my college wheels.... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 'merica....

Post by JerryB »

Did you add a quart of oil every 50 or 60 miles? How many flats did you fix on the trip? When we still traveled we made the trip to Yuma, AZ. several times in my 1977 Ford truck with just buying gas. Things have changed a lot since I got my drivers license in 1954.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Remember how often you'd see cars and trucks alongside the road with hood up, a steaming radiator and someone adding water? I can't remember when I last saw this, but it used to be a constant sight.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:30 pm Remember how often you'd see cars and trucks alongside the road with hood up, a steaming radiator and someone adding water? I can't remember when I last saw this, but it used to be a constant sight.
Yep not as common. But last Friday I was leaving the San Joaquin valley in Calif. I was going up the infamous grapevine (sadly not even a pale version of it's original self) and I saw several cars, pickups, vans and two tractor trailers pulled over, hoods up and needing coolant.

There is a great big sign to turn off ac's but people who don't take proper care of their vehicles also never learned how to read.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I spent the weekend doing 67 mile one way trips from home to the gun club shooting a match. Many cars on side of the road, most were watering the daisies I think. This morning I was very lucky, a tractor trailer caught fire behind me making a couple competitor's late.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The Grapevine is about +-6 miles.
Going west on I-90 there is a steep grade after crossing the Columbia River that goes for about 9 or 10 miles. It's a real killer if you haven't taken care of your rig.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

At least when we went across the 'bridge/tunnel' at Chesapeake Bay we didn't wind up like this guy.... :shock: :(

Three semis blown into the bay/ocean off that bridge in the past two years...! Here's one that almost did...
https://youtu.be/IgQeRf_fyUo.

You guys be careful out there....!
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Doc......Atlantic Ocean ? You can CCw in md...nj...ny....???.

Yea, that Bay Bridge is somethin'. What did you think about the D.C.traffic...if you went on the beltway. That whole area reminds me of north jersey...a toilet.---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Sixgun wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:35 pm Doc......Atlantic Ocean ? You can CCw in md...nj...ny....???.
I'm guessing he spent a little time picking his route. Maybe trended a little southerly toward a friendlier climate.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yeahh; we took the south bridge/tunnel route so stayed in good ol' Virginey....

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:09 pm Pretty cool weekend. Able to travel on great modern interstate roads in a reliable car listening to good tunes on a CD player, and CCW all the way from Indiana to the Atlantic ocean without fear of lawbreaking.

None of these things were as good when I was a kid; the car even gets twice the mileage of my college wheels.... 8)
Comparatively speakin', of course!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My very first car was a 65 Mustang all ate up with rust. Sort of no good that didn't last too long, it gave up the ghost at about 80,000 and got about 17 mpg on the road and was sort of slow for a 275hp pony car.

My current Mustang is a 12 V-6 stock, with over 300hp, 0-60 +-6.5 seconds and 30mpg on the road over the Cascades to Spokane. 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My college wheels was a 1976 Ford LTD 2 door. That land barge had the big old 20mph bumpers. Remember those? A heavy steel frame with a heavy chrome exterior which was supposed to handle impacts up to 20 mph without damage. It had a 351m engine and a C4 transmission. On a good day going downhill with a tailwind it could get 13 to 14 miles per gallon. It could pull almost anything. That engine may have been slow and thirsty, but it had torque to spare. The air conditioner used Freon-12 and could get colder than you would want to sit in.

I drive a Camry now. It gets around 30 mpg and is reliable as you could ask for. It just has nothing else to distinguish it. Yawn!
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

piller wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:28 am My college wheels was a 1976 Ford LTD 2 door. That land barge had the big old 20mph bumpers. Remember those? A heavy steel frame with a heavy chrome exterior which was supposed to handle impacts up to 20 mph without damage. It had a 351m engine and a C4 transmission. On a good day going downhill with a tailwind it could get 13 to 14 miles per gallon. It could pull almost anything. That engine may have been slow and thirsty, but it had torque to spare. The air conditioner used Freon-12 and could get colder than you would want to sit in.

I drive a Camry now. It gets around 30 mpg and is reliable as you could ask for. It just has nothing else to distinguish it. Yawn!
I currently and have since new own a 1978 Sports Touring Model of the LTD II. Basically, they took the police engine, tranny and rear end and stuck a two door body on it. I'd kill for 13 to 14 mph. Then again I do tend to have a heavy foot. Ford liked the look of this model and the color scheme I have that they made it the centerfold for there brochure.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Current automobiles versus 60's and 70's ones is like Glock 9mm's versus 1911 45 ACP's, and Ruger Speed Six 357's.....the Glock will from a practical standpoint do the same thing the 1911 and Ruger will do, for less cost, less blast, and better reliability, just as a Honda Civic will do more or less what you NEED done just as well as that '68 Camaro or Lincoln.

Still there's something special about the cars and music of the 60's and 70's.... 8)