How 'Bout This 1892

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

How 'Bout This 1892

Post by Sixgun »

Just came in today down at Targetmaster from the giant collectors gun funnel in the sky. Naaaaa.....it ain't for sale. The owners dad brought it home from South Africa 40 years ago and just wants it cleaned up. 15" barreled 1892 Trapper SRC in 44 WCF. Except for the front sight and rear carbine sight, its all original. Manufactured in 1894. Still has a fair amount of blue and a decent shootable bore.

I checked it out and it's "right"....correct forend and barrel markings. Because of the sight issues it's probably only worth a paltry 40-50 c notes---6

Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Re: How 'Bout This 1892

Post by piller »

That is a great looking levergun. I wonder about the stories it could tell.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice one, bud!
Now, a 15" 92 is short enough to stick down your pantleg and walk away with a stiffy. :D
My buddy gave me a 15" Marlin baby carbine in 38-40 to play with and shoot a couple years ago. Think I posted pics here. His grandfather got it for four bucks. :shock:
I offered him 10 times his money.......and he refused! Some friend!
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Jay.....be his friend...cut his grass.......wax his car........serviceman of the night....anything..

and in time that baby will be yours. :D
Model A Uzi’s
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Yes, master obiwan sixgun, is it time for me to wax the Jeep again master, (and holder of 32/40)? Hehe. Just messin Jack. I do want to come diwn and hang, before I start my hunting adventures. Oh yeah...CAN I HAVE IT?
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I LIKE IT!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Cool rifle. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sixgun wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:46 am Jay.....be his friend...cut his grass.......wax his car........serviceman of the night....anything..

and in time that baby will be yours. :D
Good plan! But it's a long way to his place.
Not as far as it is to yours, though........ :D
Guess ole FW has the upper hand at your place. :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well OK Six but don't expect to trade me for my Rossi Trapper .357 right on out of the box. Or my end of production Win 25-35 with the coveted shotgun under the thumb safety.

Seriously, you do come across some fine items. And you are looking well I might add.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

That's a very cool gun, and amazing condition and history! Is there any chance it's in a serial number range it can be documented? Does it have British proof marks like many British purchased 1892's that went to S. Africa? Way cool piece of history!
A friend of mine has one of the British purchased 1894 Winchesters that went to S. Africa.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Funny thing.....no extra marks at all......it's just like a rifle from the us......the South Africa is the story I got....dunno......people lie or believe what is told to them for different reasons.

Bad day at the gunclub today....decided to use a 16" M-4 Colt against guys who had Ruger Precision rifles for the long range match.....got whooped soundly....had a few laughs though.

I told them at the next match I'm gonna put a hgh dollar scope on the BAR and see how much they laugh then.----6
Model A Uzi’s
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Well without British proof marks, the South Africa story is just a good story. Still it's a nice 15" Trapper, and they are always valuable.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Nice looking lever. Did you get test it? Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

Sixgun wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:05 pm Just came in today down at Targetmaster from the giant collectors gun funnel in the sky. Naaaaa.....it ain't for sale. The owners dad brought it home from South Africa 40 years ago and just wants it cleaned up. 15" barreled 1892 Trapper SRC in 44 WCF. Except for the front sight and rear carbine sight, its all original. Manufactured in 1894. Still has a fair amount of blue and a decent shootable bore.

I checked it out and it's "right"....correct forend and barrel markings. Because of the sight issues it's probably only worth a paltry 40-50 c notes---6

Good morning,

I am working on a research survey of the Model 1892 rifles and would love to add the gun into my data base. Could I please get the serial number and some detail photos of the stamped writing on the gun? I would be happy to answer any questions you might have about it. http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=606355

Thanks
Michael
Michael Puzio
Winchester Model 1892 Collector, Research & Valuations
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That is BEYOND cool! 8)
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I like your selection of hammers in the tool box six!
Is that how you slick all your actions?

N :lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Now hold on Nath. I've been in old Six's secret chamber of the worlds coolest guns. Yup, that's right! :D
I've been sworn to secrecy under penalty of death, but I can tell you........there is stuff everywhere! All over the walls, on top of stuff, under stuff, inside stuff, hanging stuff. While my head was spinning with a information overload, I don't remember seeing a hammer, other than the ones made to strike a firing pin.
I bet, if there was one, it was a Winchester hammer. The first prototype, made by Oliver Winchester and autographed. :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Nath wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:42 am I like your selection of hammers in the tool box six!
Nath...your close and it's funny you asked that question. That picture is from Targetmaster. One time about 5 years ago, I'm sitting in the office with the owner and we started hearing these huge bangs.....my bud says to me, "do me a favor and go out there and see what the F is going on" well, I go out there and one of his workers was using a 22 ounce hammer for removing a sight on some semi auto pistol. Man! I laughed MAO.

I used to have a lot of extra hammers for 1892's, 94's etc and then one day this guy from Maine shows up (the writer above) and next thing ya know, I'm clobbered on the head and half my Colts and those hammers were quickly stashed in his Buffalo coat and out the door he went before I knew what was going on.

This is about 1/5 of the hammers that I have in the garage. (for real) mine, my dads, and my grandfathers....most are Plumbs and I can't give em away. People have too much these days.----6

Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Speakin of hammers......
Any of you guys need any 92 or 94 hammers? I got a ton of em. I hate to sell em, but I have to make room for all these pre war Colts. :D
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

OldWin wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:24 pm Now hold on Nath. I've been in old Six's secret chamber of the worlds coolest guns. Yup, that's right! :D
I've been sworn to secrecy under penalty of death, but I can tell you........there is stuff everywhere! All over the walls, on top of stuff, under stuff, inside stuff, hanging stuff. While my head was spinning with a information overload, I don't remember seeing a hammer, other than the ones made to strike a firing pin.
I bet, if there was one, it was a Winchester hammer. The first prototype, made by Oliver Winchester and autographed. :D
:lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Sixgun wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:54 pm
Nath wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:42 am I like your selection of hammers in the tool box six!
Nath...your close and it's funny you asked that question. That picture is from Targetmaster. One time about 5 years ago, I'm sitting in the office with the owner and we started hearing these huge bangs.....my bud says to me, "do me a favor and go out there and see what the F is going on" well, I go out there and one of his workers was using a 22 ounce hammer for removing a sight on some semi auto pistol. Man! I laughed MAO.

I used to have a lot of extra hammers for 1892's, 94's etc and then one day this guy from Maine shows up (the writer above) and next thing ya know, I'm clobbered on the head and half my Colts and those hammers were quickly stashed in his Buffalo coat and out the door he went before I knew what was going on.

This is about 1/5 of the hammers that I have in the garage. (for real) mine, my dads, and my grandfathers....most are Plumbs and I can't give em away. People have too much these days.----6

:lol:

I see the drill you use for fitting tang sights is gathering dust! Have you gone back to the brace n' bit ?

Take care buddy and watch out for them strang'ns wearing large coats!

N
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

You boys gotta admit.......there's no dull moments on this board......but......it takes effort....on everyone. :D -----6
Model A Uzi’s