An old Levergunner walks into a gunshop

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

An old Levergunner walks into a gunshop

Post by fordwannabe »

Well you guys probably already figured out where this is going but, my "pusher"(some do coke, or heroin, I do guns) and Mr. PUSHER SAYS, I have been waiting for you. OH Poop! What did I do now? You are going to take a rifle home with you today. No way! uhuh, ain't gonna happen, I am being really good as I leave for a 7 day elk and mulie hunt in two months. NO! I think I know what gun he is huckstering, as a couple months ago he had a pretty nice, though not perfect, but decent,Marlin 97 for sale. At that time he was asking $600. Nope, not gonna happen(after all I am a man of resolve and integrity..umm). Then last month the same gun,( by serial number should be between 1908 and 1910, the records were destroyed in a fire many years ago) is now $500 hmmm, nope ain't gonna happen. I can't afford it. I am a pillar of steel on this. So fast forward to this last Friday when I walked into the shop, and he is telling me about how I am gonna go Home with a rifle blah blah, I am Positive I can deflect any offer to go to the dark side, he places in front of me...steel willed. $350 out the door, poop, so much for willpower and all that other artsy fartsy mumbo jumbo..gimme. So what do y'all know about the model 97 that I don't know, yet. I can eat beans all the way to Colorado I am sure of it.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: An old Levergunner walks into a gunshop

Post by Blaine »

:lol: :wink: You should have bought two.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

$350? That's almost free!!
I was way more bad last night. I bought five of the Zastava Tokarev recent imports. Someone finally figured out how to put a Glock style trigger safety on them without F'ing up the frame with those tacky thumb safeties. At $219 ea. I haven't seen a deal like that in years! Couldn't help myself. In the early 90's we would buy 5-10 Enfields, Mosins, Mausers at a time. Thought that stuff would go on for years. I had over three hundred firearms at one time. Kept some good stuff but really wish I had hung on to more of them.

My FFL guy is getting really tired of me. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Jason,
This is what I've learned on pre approx 1924 ....going from memory.......includes early 39's too.

It's hard to find an early Marlin .22 that has a decent bore and even if the bore is ok, usually the crown is worn which is extremely imperative for accuracy with a .22.

Don't shoot it with high speed ammo. Once again, going from memory that early Marlins, like Colt Woodsmans will develop cracks if using high speed ammo. At some time in the 20's the factories of both Marlin and Colt had some kind of a fix for it.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Sixgun wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:01 pm Jason,
This is what I've learned on pre approx 1924 ....going from memory.......includes early 39's too.

It's hard to find an early Marlin .22 that has a decent bore and even if the bore is ok, usually the crown is worn which is extremely imperative for accuracy with a .22.

Don't shoot it with high speed ammo. Once again, going from memory that early Marlins, like Colt Woodsmans will develop cracks if using high speed ammo. At some time in the 20's the factories of both Marlin and Colt had some kind of a fix for it.----6
I was being a goof. I've had a couple of '97s. neither one shot worth a snot, but what those things are going for online, $ 350 is a deal for a good one.

Anyway, I've always been more of a military arms collector, with lever actions being a close second.

jb 8)

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Sixgun wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:01 pm
Don't shoot it with high speed ammo.

Once again, going from memory that early Marlins, like Colt Woodsmans will develop cracks if using high speed ammo.

At some time in the 20's the factories of both Marlin and Colt had some kind of a fix for it.----6

AFAIK, the fix was to install a new/upgraded bolt.

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Jason, funny but Unused to do the same thing. SOG (they still in business?) Have a price break at 3 guns, 5 guns, and I think 10 guns. I would order either 3, or five milsurp, pick the one I wanted and sell of the others to lessen, or eliminate the cost of mine. Then of course I would spend weeks or months looking for the correct sling, cleaning kit, bayonet, frog for the bayonet, and ammo. Once complete, the whole process would start over. I have always had leverguns but was heavy into msurp for a while.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Jason, funny but I used to do the same thing. SOG (they still in business?) Had a price break at 3 guns, 5 guns, and I think 10 guns. I would order either 3, or five milsurp, pick the one I wanted and sell of the others to lessen, or eliminate the cost of mine. Then of course I would spend weeks or months looking for the correct sling, cleaning kit, bayonet, frog for the bayonet, and ammo. Once complete, the whole process would start over. I have always had leverguns but was heavy into msurp for a while.
I plan to take that 97 to the range on Saturday morning, along with a 30/30, I loaded some rounds for. It belongs to a friend's son and this will be his first deer rifle. I am also going to take some test 38-55 rounds I have had loaded for three months and actually shoot them.
THEN I am going to Hershey park stadium to see Hank Jr, and the farewell tour of Lynyard Skynyard. 40 plus years after I first thought I would see them but I am going to see them. Actually met Jr a couple times when I lived in Mt, he also enjoys a good gun show.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Southern Ohio Gun is still there.

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

fordwannabe wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:59 pm Jason, funny but I used to do the same thing. SOG (they still in business?) Had a price break at 3 guns, 5 guns, and I think 10 guns. I would order either 3, or five milsurp, pick the one I wanted and sell of the others to lessen, or eliminate the cost of mine. Then of course I would spend weeks or months looking for the correct sling, cleaning kit, bayonet, frog for the bayonet, and ammo. Once complete, the whole process would start over. I have always had leverguns but was heavy into msurp for a while.
I plan to take that 97 to the range on Saturday morning, along with a 30/30, I loaded some rounds for. It belongs to a friend's son and this will be his first deer rifle. I am also going to take some test 38-55 rounds I have had loaded for three months and actually shoot them.
THEN I am going to Hershey park stadium to see Hank Jr, and the farewell tour of Lynyard Skynyard. 40 plus years after I first thought I would see them but I am going to see them. Actually met Jr a couple times when I lived in Mt, he also enjoys a good gun show.
Met Hank Jr. At an Ohio Gun Collectors Show when it was still at the IX Center in Cleveland. I'm not a Country Music guy so I had no idea who he was until some dude asked him for an autograph. Nice enough guy, looked over my table and chatted about some BP pistols I had. All I remember is the big sunglasses. :)

Jb

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

$350 is a great price, and worth more than that in parts!

PS-There was never a fire at Marlin that destroyed records. They simply ceased recording serial numbers when they determined it wasn't required by US Government.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Hmm, learn something new all the time. I have always been told, the fire story. THANKS FOR SETTING ME STRAIGHT.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

fordwannabe wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:12 pm
I have always been told, the fire story.

There's other, true, "fire" stories in the gunspeak world.

* In 1922, the US Govt. prosecuted Savage Arms for price gouging during World War I, and subpoenaed all their production & serial number records,

Savage's response to the court: "We just had an office fire, and those records are no longer available" . ;) .
(Why Savage/Stevens SN/DOM information is hard to come by)

* In 1996, several Thompson/Center factory buildings in Rochester, NH burnt to the ground, obliterating 4 specialty lines of T/C's, including the blueprints, spare parts and remaining inventory - Cherokee, Scout & Seneca rifles, and the Patriot pistols. (Why those model's resale prices have been rising steadily/exponentially in the ensuing years)

JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

He dropped from $600 to $350 out the door. You have to wonder about the poor guy that sold it to him for $200 :) You need to post some photos!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I will post photos tomorrows, God willing and Blaine willing.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

fordwannabe wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:28 pm I will post photos tomorrows, God willing and Blaine willing.
Send them on over... 8) (I never got that last batch you wanted to post :? )
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV