My oh my.....hornets!!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

My oh my.....hornets!!!

Post by wvfarrier »

Found this today!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: My oh my.....hornets!!!

Post by Blaine »

:shock: What a freaking nightmare. When I used to read water meters, opening up the vault was always a surprise. Yellow Jackets were problematic, but hornets acted like you owed them money and were really, really mad about it. :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Ya, buggers are mad for no reason. Hateful critters....almost like a liberal politician
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I was expecting to see a thread on varmint rounds with a old classic, wood and steel, shooter of yore.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

wvfarrier wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:43 pm Ya, buggers are mad for no reason. Hateful critters....almost like a liberal politician
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

wvfarrier wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:43 pm Ya, buggers are mad for no reason. Hateful critters....almost like a liberal politician
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

How did you not notice the construction going on? Is that an outside light thingy?

Hornets are nasty buggers...I get stung several times a year and it's nothing like a yellow jacket.....the sting from a hornet feels like someone gripping you with a pair of needle nosed pliers and then twisting them.

We are getting a new kind of ground inhabiting bee lately.....they are fuzzy white and make yellow jackets look like sissies. They go for your face and one got behind my glasses last summer and I panicked and slapped off my glasses so this bee was nice and only stung me in the lip. Ten minutes later my wife told me I looked like a basketball player. I waited till nighttime and got out my propane flame thrower and a shovel and cooked em up up real good.

As air write this I have a paper wasp nest. (Like yours) in the horse's run-in.....about three times the size of yours. I hear wasps are good as they eat larva and other small bugs but like bad snakes and spiders, it's going to go.----6
Model A Uzi’s
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

We never go put that door so it went unseen. i ended up getting a fogger and setting it off underneath it
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Had a hornet's nest in the rafters of my garage years ago! Every time I went into the garage at night I'd hear them buzzing loudly, but couldn't find them? I finally waited until well after dark and came in through the side door with a flashlight. The nest was in a corner above the rollup door, which explained why I never saw them when the door was rolled up. It was the size of a person's head, and hornets crawling all over the exterior!
I went to Wally World and got some bee spray that was foam and encapsulated their nest. Waited until late the next night and snuck in with thee flashlight again. Only a few crawling on the outside, so I sprayed the nest really well! It dissolved the nest and left a small pile of nest and hornets dead on the floor.
Next day I sealed all the little places I could see light coming in from the edge of the flashing.

We're having huge issues this year with hornets, and wasps around the house. I need to get some more spray and attack those suckers again! Went into the shed a few weeks ago, and when I came out there was a small swarm and one stung me right on my face! They're extremely aggressive when they think you're invading their space!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

"There are very few of life's problems that can't be solved with strategic placement of a little dynamite " unknown
Yup it could solved that easily :D

I used to keep my truck cap on a rack in the yard, back under & lower it, clamp and go. One year I'm in the bed tightening the clamps and a white faced hornet tagged me. I bailed out very fast! Few hours later I snuck back and found the nest and sprayed the nest with a whole can!

I think the only animal with a more miserable personality is a bull snake!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

We have mud dauber wasps around our house. They are pretty much laid back to humans. They sure hate spiders. In fact, they sting spiders and put them in a sort of coma, then they stuff them in the mud tube they have built and laid an egg in, cover the opening, and let the youngster eat spiders as it grows big enough to get out.

We had a paper wasp nest starting outside of our garage a few years ago. I sprayed it with some wasp spray from Wally World and that was the last of it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

piller wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:16 pm We have mud dauber wasps around our house. They are pretty much laid back to humans. They sure hate spiders. In fact, they sting spiders and put them in a sort of coma, then they stuff them in the mud tube they have built and laid an egg in, cover the opening, and let the youngster eat spiders as it grows big enough to get out.

We had a paper wasp nest starting outside of our garage a few years ago. I sprayed it with some wasp spray from Wally World and that was the last of it.
I prefer the spiders. :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

I don't bother with the spray, that's icky stuff with seriously harsh chemicals. Basically bug spray is nerve agent.

Wasps don't fly at night. I just wait till way after dark, go out, disconnect them from whatever they're on.

Splash of gas, match, a whoosh, and problem solved.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

wvfarrier wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:43 pm Hateful critters....almost like a liberal politician
Hence the reason they should be removed from society along with liberal politicians 😉👍🏻
Last edited by 6pt-sika on Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

What you need there is a can of Raid. Or two.

:wink:

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yellow jackets in the ground, 1 can of starter fluid. Fumes sink down knocking the yellow jackets loopy then step back and toss a match!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I was away for a few days on a short vacation..... I can tell You all that the number 1 use for a big shop vacuum is to suck up hornet nests. I have probably done it at least ten times as I have a long extension for cleaning out gutters. weather they are in plain view or behind the siding on a house put the open end of the extension close to the nest/entrance and turn on the shop vac. I have sometimes left it on for an hour or more. take a long rake or pole and tap on the siding or nest to get them to fly out. you can then spray some raid or hornet killer into it while running and shut off the switch. works like a charm. and if the nest is in the open you can usually suck it up with no problem.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

wvfarrier wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:47 pm Found this today!!!
Better there than underground.

Wait until night, then pull a heavy duty leaf bag over the whole thing and cinch off at the connecting pipe.

Then poke a tiny hole in the bag and fill it with VX nerve agent... oh, sorry... RAID Organophosphate Insect Killer.

Tape the hole and leave it alone. Add VX once a day for a few days.

Then remove the bag.

Then remove the light... soak it in gas and set it on fire.

Buy a porch light that isn't hornet friendly.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A random thought: If the lightbulb worked couldn't you turn on the light and wait for the little bastages to remove themselves?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

i was worried the heat build up would set it on fire. I ended up just spraying hornet killer into the nest and leaving it. they are all dead except a couple of workers at the top
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

That would look cool on display above the fireplace. Nath or Gamekeeper are probably lusting over it for wads in their smoke poles! Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!