Map with Range of Allied Fighters WWII

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Map with Range of Allied Fighters WWII

Post by Old No7 »

This map is neat...

(click to enlarge)
Range of Allied Fighters.jpg

I recall my dad being very proud that his base (4th Fighter Group, 8th Air Force) put the first flights of red-nosed Mustangs over Berlin -- and Goering reportedly looked up and said something like "The jig is up" or maybe "Das Spiel ist aus"...

They flew/crewed Thunderbolts (B & D) and Spitfires (when with the RAF as the Eagle Squadrons, before the 8th Air Force took over the Debden base) earlier in the war, and you can see the limited range of those.

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Re: Map with Range of Allied Fighters WWII

Post by claybob86 »

Thanks for posting that. I read quite a bit about that stuff and the map is a nice visual reference. :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I'll be darned. I had heard the Spitfire had a short range, but wow!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

600 for the Mustang, I think was without drop tanks... ?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very cool! 8) Thanks for sharing!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The P38 had quite a range for a twin engine plane. There were some great planes back then. Of course, there were some that were not so good. Pilot skill was really important. No computer aids to keep you out of trouble back then.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

Among "thuggish" fighter-bombers of World War II, I have a preference for P-47 "Jug" aircraft. Too heavy and brutish to be a real long-range protector of B-17s and B-24s, paper drop tanks of sort've papier-maché allowed Jugs to become long-range interceptors and all-around thugs who beat-up everything German - kind've like Joe Louis in his second fight with Max Schmeling.

FYI: Schmeling was anti-Nazi, saving several people from deportation to "the Camps" despite being a Falschirmjäger during the war. He and Louis become close friends, especially after Louis' near destitution. Schmeling was one of Louis' pallbearers.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Pappy Boyington and the Nip that shot him down (finally) also were very close friends after the war.
I was fortunate to meet them both back in '85 or '86. I spent about an hour listening to his/their stories at the Reno Air Races.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:54 pm Pappy Boyington and the Nip that shot him down (finally) also were very close friends after the war.
I was fortunate to meet them both back in '85 or '86. I spent about an hour listening to his/their stories at the Reno Air Races.
I would have very much liked to have had a chance to listen to Pappy Boyington's personal stories. He was one who did things his own way from all accounts.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost