Smith Corona O3-A3

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Smith Corona O3-A3

Post by Old Savage »

Any one have an opinion of a Smith Corona A3 03 in good mechanical shape but not so pretty?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Pepe Ray
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Smith Corona A3 03

Post by Pepe Ray »

O.S. - - As a shooter I would bring it home and apply as much make up as needed to make her pretty again. I make no comments regarding her collect-ability
because I don't care.
Jesus is the way.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Savage wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:18 pmAny one have an opinion of a Smith Corona A3 03 in good mechanical shape but not so pretty?
If you mean the '03-A3, I want it! (If the price is right, or course)!!! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Great shooters in just about any condition. My dad and my grandfather sporterized several back in the late '50s and early '60s. They thought that the Remington's should remain in original condition and customize the Smith's thinking they wouldn't be worth much in the future. Well, that didn't work out quite right, however I have a perfect condition Remington 03A3 and a couple nice hunting rifles.

I've been looking at the old Springfield's and Enfield's quite a bit lately. Need to replace a 1917 and a P14, but would love to pick up a nice Smith Corona that is original but not necessarily perfect.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Smith Corona O3 A3

Post by Old Savage »

Thanks Griff, of course, mistyped that ... now correct.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Smith Corona O3-A3

Post by OldWin »

I've got a '43 Smith Corona 03A3 that someone had already taken the collector value from. I built a psuedo scout out of it in 2012. Its a great shooter and a neat rifle.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Fred, I've had a few 03-A3's, with two being Smith-Corona's.

While not target rifles, they all shot pretty good - even the single 2-groove (rifling) 03-A3. (the others were 4-groove)

At this point in time, all WWI/WWII military rifles in their original military configuration are worth a lot more than a "sporterized" version; so if it's not too far gone, you might be able to scarf up what's needed to restore it, like a replacement stock, etc.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

OS,
As usual, when I have a quest for a particular gun, the first prerequisite is accuracy and flawless functionality and yea, nice cosmetics. With this 03A3 I hit all three with an A+ rating. It's an early one of 5,000 with the rare 6 groove High Standard barrel. This gun has only seen cast at 1800 (OK, maybe 30 WW 2 Ball ammo) but Lordy, you ought to see what it does with 215 gr. Lyman's out to 500 meters.

Check out the bore...throat and muzzle......if the lands are not sharp and clear, don't waste your energy or bucks. You really can't wear these guns out...except the barrel.-----6

The standard Smith Carona has a four groove barrel. Many guys tell me their Remington 2 groove barrels are accurate but I can't vouch for that. I can only vouch for guys I' know that will have my back. :D

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, appreciate the info. PM to you with some details and other info.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, this serial# range tell you anything?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Overview
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

OS, I have a Remington that someone put in a sporter stock and a Smith Corona that is as issued. They both shoot better than I can. My dad used an 03A3 to qualify in the WV National Guard before he was drafted in WWII. He always said the 03A3 was a better rifle than the M1.
Try it, you'll like it.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well Rusty, it is on the way. I had a primo Remington but traded it off.

JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I have several nice original 03's and 03A3's in my collection. The 03A3 was a cheaper built rifle than the 03's, but I much prefer the sights on the A3 for accurate shooting. I only keep original versions. I have no use for the sporterized jobs.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Fred,
The gun looks fine. A little attention to the cosmetics department along with a good metal fouling removal from the bore and your good to go.

BTW...your only about it a week away from having to cut your toe nails. :D ----6

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Uh, brother Jack's toes, back by you. The rifle is being shipped here.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well Six, the O3A3 arrived. It does have the six groove barrel and was made 10/42. It was the 787th in the Smith Corona manufacturing series. Looks better than the pics. I will have to wait the 10 days to clean the barrel to see how it is. It has been sitting in a closet for 15 years.

Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Sure it ain't a 4 groove barrel??

Thought they only came in 2 and 4 groove !

Don't mean to kick a hornet's nest.
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Well....well....O.S........I "heard" that 4,998 S-C with the early six groove barrels were dumped in the ocean so that means you and I have the only two left! :D

That's great news and you will love the way it shoots those long cast bullets of 200 grains or more. Yea... it shoots the 150's too....those with the 6 groove Hi Standard barrels could be the most accurate of all 03A3's.

This also means that you and I can be called "The Smith Carona Ball Brothers".......because we hang together. :D ---6

Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Learn sumptin every day :mrgreen:
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !