Browning Model 53 - Update - Fixed

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Fisher-Price
Levergunner 2.0

Browning Model 53 - Update - Fixed

Post by Fisher-Price »

Picked up cute little Model 53 at the LGS yesterday. No box or papers so considerably less than current offerings on the net.
However I get home to try it out and discover that the safety notch isn’t working correctly. When I 1/2 cock it you can pull the trigger and drop the hammer. Haven’t had any luck scouring the web for a hammer. I’ll start making phone calls on Monday. Any suggestions for parts supply?

Of course I will drop back by the store on Tuesday and talk with them. Was just trying to be ahead on possible solutions.

Fisher-Price
Last edited by Fisher-Price on Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Browning Model 53

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have one,sweet little rifles. I would try contacting Browning directly. Go cod luck.
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

You just called a rifle "cute" :shock:
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Aussie Chris wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:00 amYou just called a rifle "cute" :shock:
In the case of a mdl 53... it's true! :twisted: :P :lol:

If it's the tang safety model try MGW... Midwest Gun Works. Or, Gun Parts Inc.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

:mrgreen:
It is a well balanced rifle and with that shotgun stock with the fluted comb, it does look good.

I have one. Made by Winchester in 1928 in the very hard to find 44WCF.
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
Fisher-Price
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Fisher-Price »

Cute as it can be! Feels light and fast. No tang safety which is one of the reasons I got it.

Not been happy with tang safety Mirokus, had a 45 Colt I sold, wouldn’t hit a pie plate at 50 yards. So far not impressed with the .357 I now have. Does about 3 inches at 50. 357 brass only, all Missouri coated bullets. Have loaded 38 special, 38 +p and 357 mag. Loads from the Lyman Manual. Rifle doesn’t like any of it. Gritty 9 lb trigger.

Hope I can work something out on the 53 with the dealer. 5lb trigger and 3 lb break on the broken safety notch. Long scratch on one side from screw to receiver top. So obviously some gun butcher has been in it. Azzhole that traded it knew it was broken. I don’t pass my mechanical problems on to others.

Most of you guys don’t know me, I read here almost everyday but am so far behind in knowledge I can’t come close to answering the questions you do. So I’m here but not prominent.

I sincerely appreciate the help that’s offered.

Fisher-Price
Fisher-Price
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Browning Model 53 - Update

Post by Fisher-Price »

Update,

Called Browning and all the numbers they suggested. No luck and I did discover that the Browning B-92's hammer and trigger is not interchangeable with the Browning M-53 according to Midwest Gun Works.

So back to my LGS, he said he would make it right, he said he would talk to his browning rep, and some other people that he knows and if parts or repairs could not be done that he would have the parts swapped out of his personal rifle. I think he could have just swapped me his personal rifle :mrgreen: We looked at both of them.

I'm not worried about it, it will eventually all work out.

Fisher-Price
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Sounds like ol' Bubba did a job on your half-cock notch for some reason.

I wonder why your gunsmith cant simply recut the halfcock notch, reshape it so it works right. Debubba-ize it , so to speak. :D
Fisher-Price
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Fisher-Price »

I’m sure it can be de-bubba’d,but I wanted to give the dealer a chance to correct and/or pay for parts it if I was able to find replacement parts.

There aren’t any local smiths here that can do good work except for one and he does it for a hobby. I’ve had one over there for over 2 years, not taking anything else until I get that one back. Plus I saved a few by taking this off the shelf, no box or manual, if I was to put 2 or 3 hundred into a repair with shipping back and forth I could have just gotten a NIB.

He will fix it.

FP
Fisher-Price
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Browning Model 53 - Update - Fixed

Post by Fisher-Price »

I have it back and its fixed.

Bubba didn't mess it up as bad as we thought. Installed trigger spring upside down. Flipped her over and seems to be working ok.

Will test and maybe get a picture or two this weekend.

thanks for all the help.

Fisher-Price