Henry 45-70 Gov't levergun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Henry 45-70 Gov't levergun

Post by new pig hunter »

just found an article on the Henry 45-70 Government lever gun.

I'm liking the loading method: tube load, just like a .22 !!!

https://www.getzone.com/sootchzone-henr ... ver-action
garyhan
Levergunner

Re: Henry 45-70 Gov't levergun

Post by garyhan »

Mine is very accurate and totally reliable. The only thing I usually hear as a complaint about them is the loading system. Since you like the tube loading, this rifle would be absolute gold for you.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

While I like both the end tube loading of the loading gate, or even like my Nylon 66 butt tube loading, you'll find there are folks who just need something to complain about so they bad mouth the front loaders.

Truthfully, when new my GS was a pure female dog to load. Everything was stiff, and the edges around the loading port razor sharp. Use and a small file dealt with those. On the other hand I've never had any problems with front stuffers.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Biggest plus to the front load is ease on UNLOADING after a day of hunting.
However either system is a winner in my book and it doesn't bother me in the least.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Some folks just don't like thinking outside there little box.
I wouldn't cock my nose to such a rifle.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I bought one when they first came out and absolutely love it. It was dead on at 100 yards with my favorite handload (305 grain tsx). The ghost ring was really fragile though and had to be replaced. its lightweight and for a hunting rifle i dont mind tube loading. the action was far better than any marlin i ever owned.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have 3 Henry rifles, but not in .45-70. They are all smooth and accurate. As far as the tube loading is concerned, I don't mind it at all. If I were to be going to hunt on Kodiak Island, then the reload might be of some concern. I would have to practice speeding it up. Since I have no plans to hunt there, and have never needed to top off my Marlin 336 while hunting, then it really isn't a bother at all. If Henry were to add the side loading gate as well as keeping the tube, it would be a perfect rifle in my opinion. My model 92 in .480 Ruger has both, and I love that rifle.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

piller wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:41 am I have 3 Henry rifles, but not in .45-70. They are all smooth and accurate. As far as the tube loading is concerned, I don't mind it at all. If I were to be going to hunt on Kodiak Island, then the reload might be of some concern. I would have to practice speeding it up. Since I have no plans to hunt there, and have never needed to top off my Marlin 336 while hunting, then it really isn't a bother at all. If Henry were to add the side loading gate as well as keeping the tube, it would be a perfect rifle in my opinion. My model 92 in .480 Ruger has both, and I love that rifle.
After five fast shots on Kodiak Island, I don't think reloading would be an option.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Wow; it seems that the demographics of this forum has changed. Where we all used to appreciate everyone's opinions, likes and dislikes, those of us who prefer the traditional manner of loading lever guns are now being looked down on and sneered at. That is really a shame.

Personally I prefer the traditional side loading gate on lever guns and would never consider buying a Henry because of that.

However I have not one whit of care what others like, there's enough room for all our choices.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

765x53 wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:58 pm
piller wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:41 am I have 3 Henry rifles, but not in .45-70. They are all smooth and accurate. As far as the tube loading is concerned, I don't mind it at all. If I were to be going to hunt on Kodiak Island, then the reload might be of some concern. I would have to practice speeding it up. Since I have no plans to hunt there, and have never needed to top off my Marlin 336 while hunting, then it really isn't a bother at all. If Henry were to add the side loading gate as well as keeping the tube, it would be a perfect rifle in my opinion. My model 92 in .480 Ruger has both, and I love that rifle.
After five fast shots on Kodiak Island, I don't think reloading would be an option.
You are probably correct. Those big bears there have been known to come running at the sound of a gunshot. I have heard that the bears have learned a gunshot means a dead animal to eat.
D. Brian Casady
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

piller wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:47 pm
You are probably correct. Those big bears there have been known to come running at the sound of a gunshot. I have heard that the bears have learned a gunshot means a dead animal to eat.
Well heck, if you have a tag, fire a round and sit back and wait. Boom, tag filled.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

jeepnik wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:46 pm
piller wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:47 pm
Well heck, if you have a tag, fire a round and sit back and wait. Boom, tag filled.
I have heard that is exactly what some do. Then they have to hurry and field dress it before another one shows up.
D. Brian Casady