Suppressor questions. Need a little info.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Suppressor questions. Need a little info.

Post by 2ndovc »

Guys,

My FFL dealer just got his new class III license. We're both new to the suppressor thing and looking for a recommendation on a direct thread 9mm.

Another question is; I can use this on a .22lr as well? Correct?

This will be used on a couple different carbines with subsonic ammunition.

I want to be able to shoot the occasional varmint in th back yard without the a hat neighbors calling the Fuzz.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Suppressor questions. Need a little info.

Post by fordwannabe »

The suppressor I have on my 22's with Aquila super calibre makes them so quiet, my son was in the room with me when I shot a groundhogs out the backdoor, and he said haha, a misfire. Not unless the poor old groundhogs happened to have a heart attack at that exact moment DRT.

The suppressors I looked at that are multi caliber are all centerfire. The hybrid I have that is adaptable from 25/20 to 458socom and all in between expressly stated not for rimfire.
Good luck and please let us know what you find out, things in the suppressor world are changing all the time.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

I have a Yankee HIll, quick detach and really like it. Can use it on any 30 caliber and under. What I notice is that using a 30 on a 30 caliber will give better noise reduction than say using a 30 on a 25 caliber---guess what I'm saying is that you give up a bit of suppression when you use a suppressor designed for a 30 on a 22. I've noticed the same with ones designed for a 45 being used on a 9mm or smaller. No suggestion on a brand as the ones I've seen all work fine. One suggestion I would make is to watch weight----the heavier ones on a longer barrel have plenty of "leverage"----hanging a pound or so on the end of a 22" barrel makes it a different handling rifle. The change of POI on longer thinner barrels is also more noticeable than the POI change on a shorter thicker barrel.

My hearing and I wish I had bought one 40 years ago. I use mine a lot----legal to hunt with here, plus shooting short barreled rifles is much nicer---but I still wear hearing protection even when using a suppressor.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I don't own one yet but I've been doing some research on them. Another thing I've found to consider is if it can be serviced by the owner or is it sealed and it has to be send back to the factory to be cleaned. Some of them can be soaked in an ultrasonic cleaner and blown out with air.
Weigh the silencer when you first get it and when you notice the efficiency starting to degrade weigh it again to see how much crud it has accumulated. After you clean it weigh it again to see how clean you got it.
There are also some that are made for full auto fire. I'm thinking that means they are more substantial.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Suppressor questions. Need a little info

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks Guys!!

My guy has a Yankee Hill on the way. We're going to "Demo" it when it gets here. Supposed to be operator serviceable. We will see. Really looking forward to working with it. We've had some nasty critters here lately and thinking a supressor on the PC9 with the surefire light on the forend will be a killer.

jb 8)

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Definitely check out the Liberty cans Mystic & Mystic-X

The new version is called the Mystic-X and is rated up to 338 Win Mag - https://libertycans.net/mystic-x/
, but I have the older model and love it -https://libertycans.net/mystic/.

It is direct thread (quick-detach mounts available if you want), works on handguns as well as rifles and is 9 mm are capable but can take up to subsonic 308, or 30 30 or 357 Etc, making it useful for multiple firearms. Is lightweight enough to be reasonable on a handgun but strong enough for rifle cartridges. There's one of the few cans of that type that can be taken completely apart for cleaning which helps if you use cast bullets. It is lightweight enough I use it on my Ruger 22 semi-automatic pistol, and is easy enough to clean that the rim fire debris is no problem. Noise reduction for me with that gun is actually great even though it is a smaller caliber then the suppressor design.

It isn't the least expensive can, but you get what you pay for and that one has provided far more value for the dollar than buying several individual cans for the variety of firearms I use it on.

On full-power 233 it isn't 'quiet' but makes them sound more like a pneumatic lug-wrench. Subsonic 22 LR very quiet even from pistol, although a dedicated 22 caliber suppressor is better. 357 Mag carbine quiet but subsonic '38 Spl' loads better (ANY suppressor quiets the subsonic WAY better). Subsonic 220 gr 308 loads very quiet, haven't threaded a 30-30 yet. Next project a 357 Maximum Contender. 9mm Glock requires 'recoil booster' (came with my can and replaced threaded rear portion) as do most centerfold semiauto cans, but makes the regular 9mm loads quieter and the subsonics quieter than a 22LR rifle. Makes my Ruger 10/22 Takedown like a pellet rifle... 8)

A picture in this thread - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61203&p=701357&hilit=mystic#p701357 and I've posted others if you search the forum for 'Mystic'.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

I have an AAC Illusion for the 9mm & under. I don't recommend it. Some pitfalls:

They don't mention it, but it's limited to standard pressure 9mm, no +P or +P+.

They advertise that it will rotate around an axis so it'll clear the sights and you don't need taller ones. Lie. Even in their manual they show a pic of it on a Glock with standard sights and in the pic you can see that the can is taller than the sights.

It clogs up fast with lead with either cast 9mms or .22s. Then it get very hard to take apart.

Of course they're owned by the same investment group (of idiots) that own Remington, so what do you expect?

That said, I love a suppressor! Got more coming, and none of 'em are made by Advanced (!) Armament!

Cat
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

take this for what you paid for it. The can for my 22's isn't a take apart for customer cleaning either. A buddy told me to do this and it has worked very well for me, store the can( I use a ball canning jar) filled with 50/50 acetone/automatic transmission fluid. I shake it once a week or so more like or so, some times but you can see the debris falling out of it when you shake it. weighs the same now as it did before the first shot. That stuff isngrrat for stuck nuts,bolts, screws also.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Good info, Guys!

My friend got his YHM yesterday. We'll be hitting the range on Wednesday for " Test/ Demo". I'll post some pictures. Can't wait!

jb 8)

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Larger bore CF suppressor wont function and suppress well when used on a .22 caliber barrel.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

marlinman93 wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:16 am Larger bore CF suppressor wont function and suppress well when used on a .22 caliber barrel.
True, although my Gemtech Trek is a full-auto-rated 223 Rem suppressor, and is no quieter with 22 LR than my 9mm/357 Mystic. The Mystic is a longer/thinner design so maybe that matters.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

AJMD429 wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:01 am
marlinman93 wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:16 am Larger bore CF suppressor wont function and suppress well when used on a .22 caliber barrel.
True, although my Gemtech Trek is a full-auto-rated 223 Rem suppressor, and is no quieter with 22 LR than my 9mm/357 Mystic. The Mystic is a longer/thinner design so maybe that matters.
That was one of my main questions. Starting out with the Yankee Hill 9mm. We'll get the paper work started this week. My guy's ordered a couple of different mfg's in .22lr for a couple guys. He's going to test them all and we're going to order a couple of the ones he likes the best. Like I said, we're new to the suppressor thing. :)

jb 8)

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

When I’ve played with suppressors I was also shooting sub sonic handloads . I did a pair of rifles for my gunsmith buddy at the same time a 700 308 Tac and a 700 223 Tac and we used the 30 cal can on both , I thought it did ok on the 223 . I used his 30 cal Yankee hill on my Grendel AR and 260 AR-10 with pleasing results although neither of those were loaded SS . Several guys at the shop have gotten suppressors exclusively for a 22 LR they’re tiny little things compared to the cans for center fires . We got one for a guys 338 Lapua that thing was a big honker . I worked up loads for the 338 and never cared for that thing hanging on the end of the barrel . I bought a Yankee Hill for a Savage Hog Hunter 308 I used to own , I didn’t go for the quick detach setup but rather screwed it on direct . Before I ever fired a shot thru the suppressor or did the paperwork I sold the rifle to one guy and the technically unsold suppressor to someone else . Now I’ve got a hankering to maybe get another for the CZ 527 HB Grendel I already own and a Remington 700 5-R HB 260 I’ve been salivating over , incidently both rifles were factory threaded 😉
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Rusty wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:43 pm I don't own one yet but I've been doing some research on them. Another thing I've found to consider is if it can be serviced by the owner or is it sealed and it has to be send back to the factory to be cleaned. Some of them can be soaked in an ultrasonic cleaner and blown out with air.
Weigh the silencer when you first get it and when you notice the efficiency starting to degrade weigh it again to see how much crud it has accumulated. After you clean it weigh it again to see how clean you got it.
There are also some that are made for full auto fire. I'm thinking that means they are more substantial.
Well put!

Not much to add, as noted on other replies. The .22 rimfire is a very dirty round, as we all know. YHM makes good .22 cans that are user-serviceable and pretty inexpensive (would be more so if they passed the darn hearing protection act!). I'm going to get a centerfire pistol one in .45 to use with .45 and under, and a centerfire rifle one in .30 to use with .30's and .223's. Someday anyway!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

YK, check out the silenerco hybrid. The end plates are interchangeable for each caliber, and the attaching end is also threaded for different attachment methods. I ever bought a couple extra end plates that are to be machined to makes sure the gap between muzzle hole and bullet diameter isn't too large. full auto rated and one serial number..multiple calibers. :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

fordwannabe wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:20 pm YK, check out the silenerco hybrid. The end plates are interchangeable for each caliber, and the attaching end is also threaded for different attachment methods. I ever bought a couple extra end plates that are to be machined to makes sure the gap between muzzle hole and bullet diameter isn't too large. full auto rated and one serial number..multiple calibers. :D
Now THAT sounds like it would fit the bill just perfectly! :D

Thanks!!!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've been looking at the SilencerCo multi cal too. Probably going to be the next one.
I shot my friend's Yankee Hill 9mm can on his CZ SP01 and man, and that was cool!!! Mine will be in soon but have to do the paper work dance before I can bring it home in a few months. Wile E. Coyote is doomed! :D

jb 8)