Transporting heavy game animals the EASY way

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Transporting heavy game animals the EASY way

Post by t.r. »

Why risk twisting your back or a heart attack dragging heavy animals out of the forest? We use a wheelbarrow which is an ancient Egyptian invention - a combination of the lever and the wheel. My daughter is shown with a huge muley that she shot within the Black Hills of western South Dakota. 30-30 of course. We both struggled to load the beast but wheeling it was easy.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Transporting heavy game animals the EASY way

Post by Pete44ru »

Several years ago, my Son birthday gifted me a folding deer cart from Cabela's.

If I'm hunting is a relatively private area, the cart is left, chained in the bed of my p/u truck; if I'm hunting farther away from my vehicle, I trail the folded cart behind me until I arrive at my deer stand.

It works pretty well...…………….. :)

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

T.R., Pete, I wish it were that easy in some of the terrain I have hunted.
Our best trick getting out a big muley in the lava cliffs and canyons of eastern Oregon was to strap him into a heavy vinyl snow sled and drag him down and through the rock and sagebrush with ropes. It was not easy.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The bigger ones are usually smart enough to stay where it is harder to get to them, which makes it hard to get them out after you shoot them. I have seen a heavy teflon sheet used to drag deer from places such as heavy timber. Humans will invent all types of things to get to what they want.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:37 am T.R., Pete, I wish it were that easy in some of the terrain I have hunted.
Our best trick getting out a big muley in the lava cliffs and canyons of eastern Oregon was to strap him into a heavy vinyl snow sled and drag him down and through the rock and sagebrush with ropes. It was not easy.
We do something similar Bill. But since we hunted NE Oregon for decades we had mostly grasslands and not much rock. We all carried a 12' long rope tied into a loop that made it 6' long. A 6" length of PVC pipe over the rope served as a handle. We simply put the rope around the deer's neck and slipped the handle end through the loop to make a drag pull rope. One guy could drag a buck out pretty easy, but if a 2nd person showed up in the party the 2nd rope added made it a ream to drag them out. Going downhill we sometimes had to use the ropes to hold the deer back.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

where I hunt in Pa, we just use a four wheeler. Hey somebody's gotta have it easy. :shock:
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Vall, my experience was in the Beulah unit. Some steep stuff in the Malheur breaks!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

My last deer was transported with out any muss or fuss. I didn't even break a sweat. Then again the two strong backs from my boys did all the work. I've found this to be the very best method. I'm not sure they would agree. :)
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Best way is 1 bite at a time! Just remember to chew 100 times! :D
Seriously I've used drag rope, sleds, tarps, 4 wheelers and even a kubota tractor with front end loader. 4 wheeler and a small trailer even makes getting elk out a snap!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Some of the places we hunted in Wyoming we just packed a skillet
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Yeah, the wheelbarrow is a good idea -- but you should have said, "For easy game-hauling, get your daughter/son to do it for you!"

Or alternatively, as I always tell my son-in-law when I give him some onerous task, "Hey, that's what sons-in-law are for!"
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Pete44ru wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:32 am

I have the same cart. It does a good job, although I sometimes wish it had a wider wheelbase.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Young relatives make it easy, I grab on and make like I'm pulling, my son just chugs along, I have to almost run not to be dragged myself. :mrgreen:
When I'm alone, I bone out the whole critter and pack out the meat in a frame pack, amazing what all the stuff you don't want weighs....
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Here in NJ we can shoot 2 deer at a time. The state wants the herd reduced.
Few years ago I was still hunting on a 90 acre property that is surrounded by developments. I'm not saying the deer are dumb but boy are they trusting! Anyhow I snuck up on a doe and 2 fawns. The doe knew something wasn't kosher and disappeared. The first fawn took a .50 black belt through the lungs about 60 yards away and ran off. The second just stood there letting me reload and put it too got perforated about 75 yards away.
After gutting both I hooked my drag to one and headed down the trail towards the truck. I'd go about 100 yards then go back and drag the other. Leap frogging my way out to where I could drive my Jeep to them.
I always enjoy having snow on the ground for hunting and dragging!

Funny thing about that property is we talked to all on the neighbors so they would know we were safe and legal. All but 1 person was thankful we were there taking deer. The 1st season we killed 16 deer, 2nd was 31!then we had Blue Tongue come through and a couple bad winters and our success rate dropped back into the teens.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:37 am T.R., Pete, I wish it were that easy in some of the terrain I have hunted.
Parts of eastern WA has the same geography. I once shot a nice muley down in a canyon on our ranch. It took me over 6 hours to get it back to the truck. I swore off ever hunting in a canyon again after that!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

jeepnik wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:27 pm My last deer was transported with out any muss or fuss. I didn't even break a sweat.

Then again the two strong backs from my boys did all the work. I've found this to be the very best method.

Oh, Yeah ! . :mrgreen:

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

HawkCreek wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:02 pm
Parts of eastern WA has the same geography. I once shot a nice muley down in a canyon on our ranch. It took me over 6 hours to get it back to the truck. I swore off ever hunting in a canyon again after that!
Those deep draws can be taxing, no matter what you use. And a cart isn't much use until you get to the top of one of those deep draws! Even our pull straps are tough to get a big buck out with, but they sure help! Being able to pull together, and then hold the buck from sliding back down is a plus. With two guys and pull straps, one can hold the weight as the other resets his feet, and eventually get the deer to the top.
About 10 years ago I shot a nice 200+ lb. mule deer on the side of a draw in NE Oregon. I waited for him to get butt far up as possible, in hope of not dragging him out. He went down perfectly, and I was excited he dropped exactly where I wanted him. Then after a little celebrating by me and my nephew, he gave a couple final kicks and rolled down to the bottom of the draw! Man that really took the wind out of our sails! It took three of us an hour just to get the field dressed buck to the top, and then another 1 1/2 hors to drag him downhill to the truck.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I'm getting exhausted just reading this. Plus one on having teenagers/college kids to handle the detail!
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

My usual method.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus