Density or weight or hardness of elk femur?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Density or weight or hardness of elk femur?

Post by Naphtali »

What substance other than bone has similar or identical density or weight or hardness as a bull elk's femur or pelvic girdle?
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Density or weight or hardness of elk femur?

Post by GunnyMack »

Small cow? Kudu is most often compared to our elk.
Question is why femur or pelvic girdle? I'd be more concerned with shoulder blade and humorous bones.
Dry bones differ from fresh so shooting bones found at a kill site as an animal on the hoof.
Find a couple road kill deer, duct tape them together and bingo- 1 elk bullet testing platform... :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pepe Ray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pepe Ray »

My guess is that a close representation of bone density can be found in the scale of wood densities. From Balsa and Basswood to Ironwood found locally or go to the scale of woods from So, America and you will find something to compare. The science of wood characteristics is an old technology. I don't know how you would measure bone density, especially wild game.
Jesus is the way.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Cut some 2x4 blocks and duck tape them together about 3 or 4 at a time.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

You would need a lab to determine that . if your wondering what a bullet will do you need to find a road kill as Gunny said or a rancher with a dead or dying steer. dry bones and ones that are covered with blood filled flesh are two different things.