Rebounding Hammers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1Winchester1
Levergunner

Rebounding Hammers

Post by 1Winchester1 »

Good Morning men1 I have been reading this forum for years but have recently broken my leg severely and am stuck inside for 8 weeks( non weight bearing so confined to a walker). I have various Winchester and Browning lever actions, some original and some Miroku.
My question is on my Miroku reproduction Model 95 ( color case take down 30/06). I had a few fail to fires and performed the modification as described my Dave Scovill in Rifle magazine. So far so good, I have tested in Zero degrees and all is well.
Has anyone not had this modification not work ? Will it last? I like the rifle so much that I am considering having it retrofitted to the Browning parts if anyone can be recommended.
I removed .035 as suggested and now have to pull back slightly on the hammer to engage the safety which I am fine with, I wonder if these rebounding legs are just a bit long and only need a few thousands off as in a final fitting that was not done at the factory?
I have an 1892 repo in .32/20 that may be next.
Sorry about the long first post and all of the questions but I am starting to go stir crazy.

Thanks in advance, Chris!
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Rebounding Hammers

Post by Griff »

Image and Welcome to THE Forum. I can't answer your questions... but I'll bet someone will be along that can.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
1Winchester1
Levergunner

Post by 1Winchester1 »

Thank You, Griff
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

My Miroku made Winchester 1895 TD .405 WCF has NEVER failed to fire with factory or hand loaded ammo.
Nor have I ever heard of such an 1895 failing to fire.

I have heard of such in Miroku made Winchester 1886 rifles such as my .45-90 TD. When new, a friend did an action job and adjusted the trigger pull to 4 pounds and it has ben slick and reliable.

And, by the way, welcome to the forum.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Never had any issues here too.
Have heard of issues after folk fit lighter hammer springs in the lame belief it will improve the trigger for them!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
1Winchester1
Levergunner

Post by 1Winchester1 »

Guys, Thanks for the replies. Since I removed the small amount from the rebounding leg, my primers look better. I am beginning to think that some of the issues are cause by the rust preventatives that the factory uses. The kids bought my rifle NIB as a birthday present for me but I believe that it was about 8 years old when they found it in a shop. I then bought a Browning 1895 Krag NIB and it was covered in preservative inside.
Last edited by 1Winchester1 on Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

I have three 1895's by Miroku and have never had a problem with the rebound hammers on any of them. I researched pretty heavily in doing the conversion with Miroku/Browning parts to get rid of the rebound hammer feature and everyone I talked to had the same conclusion. It's simply not a few drop in parts and requires considerable gun plumbing to get the parts to even fit.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

crs wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:34 pm My Miroku made Winchester 1895 TD .405 WCF has NEVER failed to fire with factory or hand loaded ammo.
Nor have I ever heard of such an 1895 failing to fire.

I have heard of such in Miroku made Winchester 1886 rifles such as my .45-90 TD. When new, a friend did an action job and adjusted the trigger pull to 4 pounds and it has ben slick and reliable.

And, by the way, welcome to the forum.
Out of two boxes of Hornady .405 ammo, I had two dry clicks with my USRAC 1895. :oops: Sorry. That's really all I've shot this rifle. If I want more pain, I'll go find a big biker to anger. :lol: :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

1Winchester1 wrote: ... I have been reading this forum for years but have recently broken my leg severely and am stuck inside for 8 weeks........ I removed the small amount from the rebounding leg...
:shock: Be CAREFUL working on yourself like that....!
Shouldn't you see a doctor for that...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
1Winchester1
Levergunner

Post by 1Winchester1 »

Good one. actually I have enough hardware in my leg to open a store. 6 screws ,4 pins and 2 plates.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

crs wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:34 pm
My Miroku made Winchester 1895 TD .405 WCF has NEVER failed to fire with factory or hand loaded ammo.

I have heard of such in Miroku made Winchester 1886 rifles such as my .45-90 TD.
Ditto...…… except that my .405 Miroku M-1895 is a solid frame rifle.

In addition, I've altered a few Winchester/Miroku Model 1886/86's MS struts for a positive ignition, and not only has the "fix" worked, there's absolutely no reason for it to change - after all, we're not talking about some frangible shim or sliding adjustment here.

Welcome to the forum, too ! :)

HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

Interesting. In this thread I've seen two reported Miroku 1895 issues which are the first two issues I've heard about them. Not saying any company or design is perfect but going off my personal experience those two problem guns aren't ones I would have ever suspected.

To my eye the count stands at:
1 TD .30-06 with internals out of spec
1 .405 with two hiccups out of 40
1 .405 TD with no issues
1 .405 with no issues
2 .30-40SRC with no issues
1 .30-06SRC with no issues

P.S. If you ever think you want to get rid of that .405 BlaineG please keep my in mind.
1Winchester1
Levergunner

Post by 1Winchester1 »

Hawk, I appreciate the input. My takedown has never been apart, I have an RCBS Precision Mic and the headspace on fired cartridges is .001 over minimum. I only had one failure to fire out of 100 and it could have been a bad primer itself. I guess instant access to the issue on the internet and all I had read on the rebounding hammers made be perform the "fix". I will say that I have over 200 rounds since the repair and no issues what so ever. Just my rambling while I recover. My new gun room is in the basement and I cannot do stairs so instead of loading and shooting as usual I am thinking too much. Thanks guys.
Gregor
Levergunner

Post by Gregor »

Bought a Marlin 39AS ten or so years ago that would not fire until I removed the lower leg of the hammer strut to eliminate the rebounding feature. Seems to be a not infrequent occurrence. The hammer would not go far enough to strike the firing pin, stopping abruptly 1/4" or so from it.