Winchester 1892 heavy loads 44mag

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mgp
Levergunner

Winchester 1892 heavy loads 44mag

Post by mgp »

Buying a new 1892 Miroku 44mag and would like heavier load data(1600fps) for lead in the 260gr-300gr(Beartooth 290gr) range. Sold my Winchester M94-444 and have Beartooth 330gr lead remaining. I have Varget,IMR on hand but accuracy is the first priority. Not exactly sure what maximum pressure is for the Winchester 1892(Miroku) but need that number as well. All help and suggestions appreciated. Thank you.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Winchester 1892 heavy loads 44mag

Post by J Miller »

Welcome to the forum.

Are you friends with an orthopedist? You're gonna need one. The standard 44 mag loads in a light rifle like the 92 are brisk to say the least, the loads you are describing will stomp the stuffins outta you. You shoulda stayed with the 94 / 444.

JMNSHO

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Nothing wrong with a stout load in a 92 - my 454 Casull is way hotter than any 44 Mag loads will be, and that gun is not unpleasant to shoot. It even has a 16" barrel.

Someone will be along with some load suggestions.

I use LoadData.com and AmmoGuide.com for much of my load data; way more data than printed manuals and both sites differentiate 'user' data from 'factory' data.

And yes, if you want 444 Marlin level power you need a 444 Marlin, but as I read your question, you simply want to use up your stock of 330 grain bullets and prefer a stout load versus a mild one. Nothing wrong with that.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

You can get the velocities you are talking about with H110 or similar but your problem will be accuracy with that long bullet. For reasons I can not figure, the makers of 44 mag rifles put a very slow twist in the things (like 1:38!). My big disappointment in my Rossi 44 mag is how poorly it does with my beautiful 300 grain LBT bullet which is a favorite in my revolver.

Find yourself a nice Ruger Redhawk and go shoot an elk with those 330 grain bullets. Our revolver makers put a twist in them that'll stabilize that long bullet.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'm kinda with Joe on this... if you want a bigger, more powerful load... buy a bigger, more powerful gun. The 444Marlin is just that gun for the loads you want. Unless you're used to that level of recoil, have a really hard, strip-proof lead compound, and know without any uncertainty that the twist rate in the Miroku 1892 will stabilize that bullet... I'd rethink those goals.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
mgp
Levergunner

Post by mgp »

Ok, got of the phone with Winchester tech support and they say both the 1892 and 94 have a 1/26' twist rate so should stabilize heavier lead.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I don't think a 260gr at 1600fps will be all that bad out of the .44. I've always heard what a kicker the 44 is out of a 92 or 94 but just haven't found it to be the case.
Some will depend on the rifle. Rifle, carbine, stock configuration. I've driven 240s out of a Browning 92 to those levels and it's comfortable. The 300gr, I couldn't say.
Choice of powder can effect the felt recoil also, I think. I'm a big fan of IMR4227 in the 44.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

You're experience might be different, but my early 70s Marlin 1894 didn't like the COL and I had to seat 300 grain hardcast pretty deep...deep enough to cut back on powder at bit. Garrett's heavy Hammerhead .44mags will sometimes not chamber in rifles. Just be careful...trimming the brass too much or deep seating bullets will raise your pressure...maybe too much.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:22 pm You're experience might be different, but my early 70s Marlin 1894 didn't like the COL and I had to seat 300 grain hardcast pretty deep...deep enough to cut back on powder at bit. Garrett's heavy Hammerhead .44mags will sometimes not chamber in rifles. Just be careful...trimming the brass too much or deep seating bullets will raise your pressure...maybe too much.
Good points; the Garrett's in 45 Colt would feed in my Redhawk but were a bit too long to feed in my 45 Colt Rossi (....but fed perfectly in the 454... 8) ).

Not to bring up the 444 again, but one of the forum members here has good twist-vs-stability experience with 444 Marlin loads, and found that the real-world versus what 'twist-tables' say has a gap to bridge; he got some good results with heavy-for-caliber bullets in '44' caliber. The weight/twist/necessary-velocity data would apply perfectly to your goals, as the bullet doesn't care what the headstamp on the case is; just the velocity. IF you can get adequate velocity for your weight and twist from a safe load in the 44 Mag cases, all is well.

I don't think there is much 'Ruger and Winchester Only' load info for the 44 Mag though, since 'factory' loads are already reasonably stout. Different than the old 45 Colt.

AmmoGuide does list 18 loads for 325-330 grain bullets, and they top out just over 1300 fps in revolvers, so should be pretty decent in a rifle. If you include down to 265 grains they list 187 loads (I can't ethically just share loads from there as you have to subscribe to get the data and I'm not going to undermine a legitimate gun-related business, but membership is only $19/year or so and it is well worth it if you reload).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
mgp
Levergunner

Post by mgp »

Will subscribe to Ammoguide. Thinking Beartooth 290gr(.805" long/metplat.300) vs the 280gr(.765 long/metplat.340) have to double check diameter but .431 worked well in my M94-444. Had a lot of flexibility with the longer 444 brass so 44mag LOA with heavier lead will be a challenge in the 1892. What brass is recommended for heavy 44mag loads ?
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I don't know about the Miroku 92, but many years ago I shot a few stout loads out of a Rossi 92. I don't recall recoil being too bad coming back on the shoulder, but it used to recoil upwards pretty bad, so follow up shots were a bit slow.
If I was going after a heavy duty 44, or 45, I'd look for a 24" barrel and get a recoil pad fitted.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.