Bullet molds

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Bullet molds

Post by GunnyMack »

Does anyone have MP molds? European made, I see they make a mold that can be a FP,HP, big HP or what they call a Pentagon HP.
Prices seem reasonable, brass or aluminum. Use Lyman handles.
www.mp-molds.com
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Bullet molds

Post by yooper2 »

I have one of his molds. Piece of art. It's a three cavity with flat point and two hollow point pins. All drop bullets well when up to temp. This style beats the old lyman hollow point molds by a mile. Way faster casting and therefore easy to keep temps where they need to be foe good hollowpoints.

Eric
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I should add that it can take a while to get molds from him and the prices fluctuate as he prices them in his nation's currency. That said, I would love to have more of his molds.

Eric
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Guys on Cast Boolits like’em to. Long wait and tied up in customs at times. Not trying to change your mind, have you ever looked at molds on NOE’s website? Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I don't cast that much, I like the fact that the same mold can go from FP to HP with very little effort.
The mold I was thinking about was 135€, don't know what the exchange rate is. Wait time is really no big deal.

I have looked at lee, Lyman, NOE, but again I don't cast much. I was just wondering if the claims were true about effortless bullet drop, how well the pins work.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

On my MP mold once you get the pins hot bullets fall out by gravity or at most a gentle tap.
Erik at Hollowpoont Mold will convert molds to the same Cramer style hollowpoint pin that Miha uses or his own "inset bar" style which looks like a winner. He also does the Lyman style. Erik does excellent work. http://www.hollowpointmold.com

Eric
Pepe Ray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pepe Ray »

I have 3 or 4 MP molds, in brass, with all the pins available. When I opened the first box, I was awestruck. Looked like gold jewelry. Was very reluctant to preheat them. Always had good turn around. They make great boolets. :D But they are too heavy for old hands like mine.
His aluminum molds are equally made and much lighter as is those from N.O.E. I've several of his molds also. Does a great job. I have molds from Lyman, Lee,Mountain Molds, and a few others by folks I cant recall. Yes, its a sickness. I.M.H.O. For reliability you should stay with MP, NOE or Mountain Molds. Boolet casting can be an obsession or a career.
Good luck.
Pepe Ray
Jesus is the way.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I bought one of his 2 cavity brass Cramer style molds for a 434-295GC HP about six years ago and recently I got another two cavity Brass Cramer in 432-225GC HP . I might add I have two more 44 cal molds on order 😉👍🏻
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:58 am I don't cast that much, I like the fact that the same mold can go from FP to HP with very little effort.
The MP molds change over from HP to FP fairly easily and are the correct depth as far as the pins are concerned . I have however with NOE molds hadsomd issues with mold depth .
Pepe Ray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pepe Ray »

RE; Having issues w/length of cavity pins is largely dependent on choice of alloy. I'm lucky that I can usually "ballpark" my mix well enough to avoid calamities.
Pepe Ray
Jesus is the way.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Pepe Ray wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:54 pm RE; Having issues w/length of cavity pins is largely dependent on choice of alloy. I'm lucky that I can usually "ballpark" my mix well enough to avoid calamities.
Pepe Ray
The flat point pins oughtta be flat across the nose of the bullet regardless of alloy . Were as I've never had that issue with an MP mold . The NOE that gave me issue had nose indentations when i cast FP bullets I'm pretty sure alloy isn't going to resolve pins that are a skoosh to long .
Pepe Ray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pepe Ray »

You are correct without a doubt. I suppose I'm just easy to satisfy with my results at the target. Given my druthers I do prefer MeHec's method/system of pin installation.
Jesus is the way.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Pepe Ray wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:22 am You are correct without a doubt. I suppose I'm just easy to satisfy with my results at the target. Given my druthers I do prefer MeHec's method/system of pin installation.
I liked BRP that used to be in Michigan and has now been out of buisness for close to ten years now . He cut four hybrid molds for me . They were based on the Ranch Dog design but with conventional lube grooves I sent him drawings for a 432-375GC and a 432-400GC . After he cut those two I had him make me HP versions of both as well . Thirty years ago I would never have considered a 444 Marlin as a “target” cartridge but in the last fifteen years I have shot A LOT of cast bullets in 444’s at paper . Matter of fact yesterday evening I was trying the NOE 434-319GC in a Ruger #3 that had the chamber run out to 444 . Little guns gonna be ok I think 👍🏻
Pepe Ray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pepe Ray »

Good luck with that little Ruger. OBTW, I'm going on vacation for 8 days starting Sun. and will be out of touch. Going to camp out up North for some Bluegrass music. Maybe I'll get lucky and survive it, or not. - - - Cary on. - - - Pepe Ray
Jesus is the way.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Pepe Ray wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:18 pm Good luck with that little Ruger. OBTW, I'm going on vacation for 8 days starting Sun. and will be out of touch. Going to camp out up North for some Bluegrass music. Maybe I'll get lucky and survive it, or not. - - - Cary on. - - - Pepe Ray
My idea of camping out anymore is Econo Lodge or Super 8 . But best of luck to you 😉👍🏻