Bubba Savage 99!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Bubba Savage 99!

Post by Mainehunter »

The other day my wife mentioned that one of here friends relative passed away just recently. She started to clean out the place and noticed there was a firearm in one of the bedroom closets and her friend was petrified to touch it :roll:. She asked if I can come over to look at it and see if I wanted it. I went their yesterday to look at it and to my surprise it was a Savage 99F in 243Win! :D. We talked for a few minutes, going over the rifle noticed the butt stock was cut pretty short, does have the typical tang crack and the receiver is scratched up pretty good. Over all the gun is in pretty decent shape, bore looks really good, has some muzzle ware but that can be cleaned up. She wanted nothing to do with it so I asked her how much, she says $100 bucks and it's yours!!! :D. When I brought it home, cleaned it up and the serial number for the year puts it at 1958. So the question I have is what to do with the short butt stock :?: As you can see the receiver is scratched up good. Part of me wants to get it restocked and re-blued but also I sort of like it the way it is except the short butt stock. Opinions???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Bubba Savage 99!

Post by J Miller »

You have an inexpensive hunting or truck gun there. Would it be me, I'd fix the crack then put a recoil pad on the stock to bring it to a proper length, then go shoot it. See if the barrel wear is or is not an issue.
Then go from there. You really can't hurt it any taking it into the field, that's for sure. Plus it's already D&T for a carry handle.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

What Joe M said +1.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

crs wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:38 am What Joe M said +1.
Plus 2.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

J Miller wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:31 am You have an inexpensive hunting or truck gun there. Would it be me, I'd fix the crack then put a recoil pad on the stock to bring it to a proper length, then go shoot it. See if the barrel wear is or is not an issue.
Then go from there. You really can't hurt it any taking it into the field, that's for sure. Plus it's already D&T for a carry handle.

Joe
Yeah I'm leaning towards keeping the way it is but the stock is cut nearly 2.5" inches! I need to add another pad but what would look decent enough?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

$69 gets you a walnut replacement from Boyd's...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

2-1/2" minus 1" (pad) means a 1-1/2" wood filler - which will never look "right".

I would bid on this buttstock: https://www.ebay.com/itm/6159-Factory-S ... stock.TRS0

You just can't go wrong with a $100 Savage 99, that's for sure - nice catch !

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Replace the wood and use it. We tested one like that that was very accurate.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

What Joe said! (+3)

-Stretch
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Great score at twice the price!
Back 35+ years ago my father-in-law gave me his model 70 Winchester (30-06) but I had to pick it up at his nephew's home whom he lent it to several years earlier. When I went there the nephew was reluctant but gave me the rifle as instructed. This guy was short with short arms so he had cut the butt end of the stock at least 2 inches. I have LONG orangutan arms so this rifle felt real funny all scrunched up when at the shoulder. I found it uncomfortable so checked my wood stash and found a chunk of leftover Hawaiian Koa wood from a past project. I just rough-cutted a block I needed and epoxied the block onto the butt of the walnut stock. I used my belt sander to grind down to match the contour of the stock. Then I sanded down the rest of the stock varnish finish then hand rubbed at least 10 coats of BLO into the wood. The woods are of different colors but it does not look bad at all, and best of all it shoots better due to better fit. If I ever need to revert back to short butt it's easy enough to cut of using my band saw. For a snot-nosed 23 year old kid I thought I did a pretty decent job. I wonder if I took a picture?
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

That should make a fine deer killer, looks like he might stepped through a lot of barbwire fences.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Let me look through my stash of stocks. I know I have the forearm but not sure about the butt.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

M. M. Wright wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:02 am Let me look through my stash of stocks. I know I have the forearm but not sure about the butt.
Thanks! :D
GunnyMack wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:53 am $69 gets you a walnut replacement from Boyd's...
I did checked them out but the one I was looking at was around $135.00.

I'm still leaning towards making up the filler but I do know it's going to look odd. The other thought was getting a leather but cover made for it so it'll cover up that part of the stock.
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

The quickest fix is to leave it as it is and put a pullover "Limb Saver" pad on it. Doesn't look too bad and really works. Just take it off and dry the wood out if you get it soaked. But that takes five minutes and a hair dryer.... There are other "butt condoms" as my purist friends call them, but I think the "Limbsaver" looks and works the best for the $$$.

A 99 .243 for one Benjamin and the cost of a pullover pad is a VERY GOOD deal. I had one and they really shoot.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Even 135 bucks is cheap fix considering what you have invested!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:56 pm Even 135 bucks is cheap fix considering what you have invested!
True! I have no problem of spending that. I'm seriously considering it. I've seen other places have them for a little bit less. The only thing which is not a big deal is they are a bit oversized that will need to be fit and finished. Also they aren't checkered but that can be done another time.
Mike Armstrong wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:03 pm The quickest fix is to leave it as it is and put a pullover "Limb Saver" pad on it. Doesn't look too bad and really works. Just take it off and dry the wood out if you get it soaked. But that takes five minutes and a hair dryer.... There are other "butt condoms" as my purist friends call them, but I think the "Limbsaver" looks and works the best for the $$$.

A 99 .243 for one Benjamin and the cost of a pullover pad is a VERY GOOD deal. I had one and they really shoot.
I did have a Limb Saver pullover pad but it was way too loose. Don't know if they sell anything smaller. I'll check them out when I have a chance.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I had a gun with the stock cut down like that. I took a 2x6 and cut about an inch length and filed to fit the shape of the stock . Screwed it to the stock and then put a pull over limb saver pad on it and you didn't even know that there was a 2x6 under the pad. It let me play with it until I found a reasonably priced replacement stock.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

This also gives you the opportunity to find matching wood, get a new forend too. Spend a little more and you are still ahead of the game.
I think Boyd's will checker their stocks per order?
Heck you could even go laminate.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Make it out of ebony or some other fancy wood. Do the fore end tip also and tell folks it was all done on purpose. :lol:
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:53 am $69 gets you a walnut replacement from Boyd's...

This makes sense. Even at $135 it still makes sense. Probably another $40 will get you a matching forend. Let's pretend you spend $200 for the buttstock, forend, and varnish/oil/sandpaper. That will mean you have a grand total of $300 into the gun......then you will have a gun that not only looks good but is an easy resale at $500.

If the gun was a beater I also would suggest adding a block/filler but the rest of the gun is nice.

You won't be "spending" 2 c-notes...you will be "investing" 2 C-notes as you will easily get your money back with the easiest way to make your gun look "right". Those bubba fixes are for Mossbergs, Bersa's, Sterlings, and other foreign junk. :D ---6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I had a beretta O/U that was originally cut down for the previous owner. He was about 5 foot tall. I'm almost 6'( after my chiropractor works on me) , no matter what that stock was short. I ordered a recoil pad that was 1&1/2" thick and a 1/2" black plastic spacer ( brownells) . After I ground spacer and pad to fit it was just about right LOP but it looked like h.e.l.l. ...
Needless to say I shot that gun for a bit and traded it off on an AR10T and a little green.
Can you make filler block- yep but it just doesn't appeal to the eye.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

I had some spare time earlier today to get to the range and try out some factory loads. I dug out a partial box of Hornady Interlock 100 grain and some Hornady SST 87 grain reduced loads out to 100 yards. As expected groupings were around 2 1/2" with both loads. I did mount a Redfield 2x7 scope and even took the forehand stock off which can effect groupings on pencil barrels especially on the model F's. I was a little surprised the trigger was better on this Savage compared to my other 99F I have in 358 Winchester. Overall I'm pleased with the outcome and I think with some load development using Hornady Interlock 100 grain bullets that I found in my stash, I think it can do a little better in the grouping department. As for the stock I ended up cutting an old walnut shotgun but stock I had for years, reshaped it, glued and screwed it. I know someone that owns a shoe repair shop and he's going to make me a leather cover for the stock so I don't have to look at the two different pieces of wood. I'm going to run with this for awhile until I find a good set of stocks for the rifle.

Mainehunter
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Mainehunter, finally got to look through my stash and no luck. Watch ebay and craigslist.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

M. M. Wright wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:03 am Mainehunter, finally got to look through my stash and no luck. Watch ebay and craigslist.
Thanks for looking! :)