Winchester 1886 45-90 Black Powder Only

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester 1886 45-90 Black Powder Only

Post by daisygordoninc »

I have a Winchester 1886 45-90, bought it new at Cabela's, actually a gift from my wife a few years ago.
It's made in Japan of course but generally well built and very nice. I fired it a few times just to get the
feel of it, some medium to heavy loads I made, I forgot what weight, but heavy bullets. It kicked like
a horse, but that was part of the fun of it. I have lots of guns so I put it away and only today did I notice
that it says for Black Powder Only. I did not use black powder at all, didn't ever see that on the barrel
before. I think when my wife offered to buy it for me I was so excited I didn't even notice that. We just
took it home. Is that common with some of the Winchester 1886 new models to Black Powder Only ?
I didn't notice any damage, except to my arm.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Winchester 1886 45-90 Black Powder Only

Post by daisygordoninc »

I was thinking about selling it, but would anyone want one for Black Powder Only?
The only black powder ammo I have made is for my 44-40 pistol and 1873 rifle.
I didn't notice any others listed on Gun Broker that designated them as Black Powder
Only.
Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Stevie »

Huh??….Did not know that! I would've thought it plenty strong for smokeless loads!

I own a Browning 1886 .45-70 carbine and it's barrel wears no restriction. Pretty certain both the older Brownings and newer Winchester 1886 rifles and carbines are made by Miroku.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

Yes it is a Miroku gun, I have a couple other Miroku guns and they are very strong.
I just can't believe that was on the barrel and I didn't see it, would not have purchased
it. It's really puzzling to me.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

I'm pretty sure this has come up on here before and the gist of it has something to do with the fact that there is no SAAMI spec for the 45-90 so that was put on the rifle as a CYA type thing. I can't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure it is really meaningless.

I'm sure shortly somebody will be along to confirm what I've said. (Or tell me I'm full of stuff lol)
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Keep the rifle!
And shoot anything in it that you want! It is a very strong rifle.
My Miroku/Winchester 1886 TD .45-90 has the same message and it is BS.
Early on, I found an article on this in a gun magazine that explained how this came about. I saved a copy if you would like to read it. It states the lack of SAAMI specs for smokeless powder 45-90 ammo is the reason for the Lawyer labeling.
Last edited by crs on Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I think Bridger's explanation makes the most sense. No reason the rifle should have been made to a weaker standard.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Yeah, if that puppy was weak CRS would be walking around without a face :lol: ….like elephant gun stuff.

That thing will take more than 99.999% of people can withstand.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Bridger wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:37 pm I'm pretty sure this has come up on here before and the gist of it has something to do with the fact that there is no SAAMI spec for the 45-90 so that was put on the rifle as a CYA type thing. I can't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure it is really meaningless.

I'm sure shortly somebody will be along to confirm what I've said. (Or tell me I'm full of stuff lol)
This is correct.
I have 2 Browning 1885 high wall BPCR guns.
The. 45-70 has no such marking, but the .40-65 does because there is no SAAMI pressure rating for it. I shoot smokeless in it all the time.

If you're shooting smokeless a .45-90 has no advantage over a .45-70, so it's made for the BP fans anyway.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Interesting thread, there's always something more to learn ...... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Leverluver is correct- this is my elephant gun. It has taken big game from Blackbuck to Cape buffalo and elephant.

With 86er at the wheel, this problem animal was dropped with a frontal brain shot using Kodiak 450 grain FMJ custom loaded to 2150 fps by Grizzly Cartridge.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

Does your 1886 say "For Black Powder Only" ?
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Does your 1886 say "For Black Powder Only" ?

Yes. Dave Scovill says it is one of 501 1866 TD .45-90 made special order for a distributor.

+ shooting it will not hurt your arm if you tuck the lower tip of the curved butt plate into your arm pit - the barrel will just rise up and then drop back on target - even with DG loads. The rifle is most friendly when shot from a standing position with or without sticks.
I shot a running bison with the DG load and never lost sight of my aim point, even seeing the impact before the beast toppled over with broken shoulders - bullet not recovered.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

crs, I reckon that makes your DG loads safe for Texas whitetails.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I had the same rifle. I only shot smokeless through it. Some pretty hard hitting stuff too. never had any issues
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

JerryB said , "crs, I reckon that makes your DG loads safe for Texas whitetails."

Safe? Well the performance of those loads do give the hunter a confidence boost.(just in case you come across a rutting Nilgai bull)

My favorite whitetail load was the Winchester Supreme .45-70 300 grain Nosler PP. Flat shooting and devastating on any thin skinned critter.