SAVAGE 99 year of manufacture

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
sludge
Levergunner

SAVAGE 99 year of manufacture

Post by sludge »

I recently purchased a Savage Model 99 and I am trying to identify the year of manufacture, any accurate help would be greatly appreciated, on the Barrel it has stamped 99A .308 Winchester, on the receiver stamped serial is B804340, that B may be an 8 but it sure looks like a B, regards
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: SAVAGE 99 year of manufacture

Post by Pete44ru »

Welcome to the fire, sludge !

You have what's known as a 2nd generation Model 99A, made from 1971 to 1981.

I would WAG your rifle's SN/DOM as the late 1970's - advice worth exactly what you paid for. ;)

The earlier Model 99A's were shorter-actioned guns that couldn't handle cartridges longer than Savage cartridges ( .250, .300 etc), so in 1957 (a little after the .308 was introduced), lengthened the action/internals to accept the longer chamberings.

Savage 1895/1899/99 SN dates from 1895 through 1947 are readily available (google), but SN DOM's later than than can be hard to come by.

Savage once used a Lever Boss Code (LBC) to denote the year of manufacture (a letter enclosed within an oval), starting in 1949 - but stopped the practice by 1971 @ LBC "Y".

There was a retired Savage historian (John T. Callahan) who once looked up post-1971 SN's ($$), but IIRC he has since passed on.

Since Savage is reluctant to divulge SN information to the public, the loss of Mr. Callahan's records are a loss to both collectors and curious shooters.

sludge
Levergunner

Re: SAVAGE 99 year of manufacture

Post by sludge »

Thanks Pete44RU,

I now have some idea how old the levergun is, I intend to do a restoration of the timber and cold blue the receiver. a project I will start in a month or so. regards and thanks again for your help.