Ported Barrels

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Ported Barrels

Post by t.r. »

My Savage 99 always had excessive muzzle jump which affected my shooting. So I did a little research and sent this .308 rifle to Magna Port in Michigan. Their skilled craftsmen formed four slots at the muzzle which reduced recoil and eliminated muzzle jump. Now I find this rifle a joy to shoot; it was money well spent. Cost to me was about $130.00 Disclaimer: I am not employed nor compensated by Magna Port in any way for endorsing their service.

For a time, Marlin ported their barrels with multiple round holes which is the same concept but different approach to eliminating muzzle jump.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ported Barrels

Post by Pete44ru »

Mag-Na-Port has long done excellent with, with commensurate results, using the EDM process to make internally-angled slots in thebarrel - and has been the Gold Standard in muzzle braking.

As you said, it's worth every cent to those who need some recoil perception/reduction.

It's too bad that some bubba's think they can achieve the same via drilling holes willy-nilly.

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Hmm, we all pretty much know that porting reduces muzzle rise. But, it also increases noise. The OP mentioned Marlin's porting method, and you can see that Mag Na Port uses slots. I wonder if there is a difference in noise level between multiple small holes vs fewer slots.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

I only have one ported firearm. A Ruger #1 I stumbled upon in a gunstore on consignment. $650 out the door, it had already been Mag-Na-Ported and had a Pachmeyr Decelerator pad professionally installed and came with a nice Leupold already mounted. Quite the deal! Of course that was back when I thought I needed a .300 Win Mag... To nice of a rifle to sell but I don't take it out much these days. Buddy of mine shot a coyote with it, to my knowledge that's all it's ever been hunted. All that to say between those ports and that soft butt pad it feels like shooting a .30-30, porting sure does help!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

My M70 .308 Featherweight jumped up off the bench rest sandbags before it was Magna Ported.

I have recently noticed that the lack of muzzle rise helps stay on target after shooting at game. This recently helped me take two feral boars with two quick shots as I never lost the sight picture. Love it.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

1st thing I did with my Marlin 1895GS was cut the porting off and make it a 16 1/4" nvm.

If I want less recoil I use my .22LR :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Over the years I have noticed that used guns that are ported are harder to sell and bring less money when they do sell.
A very clean Ruger RedHawk has been sitting on one table at the local gun show for months with a great price point but no takers
Everyone pointing out the vents and putting it back down.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Chuck100
You may be correct, but no worries here mate!
My pre 64 M70 above will stay in my family as both my son and grandson want it.

My son already has my magnaported Ruger tang safety Mod 77 .338 Win mag, despite two good buddies bidding for it. :D
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Porting not only makes a gun a lot louder, but will also pretty much make it a jacketed bullet only gun after porting. Those ports quickly fill with lead of you shoot lead bullets.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

At 22 years of age and weighing 140 pounds, recoil sensitive, I decided to have my model 29 Smith Magnaported, which was a new company at the time in 1976.

It was an instant, easily noticed reduction in recoil. This revolver has since digested 4,879 rounds with 99% being cast bullets at around 1200-1400 fps.

I don't need magnaporting anymore as I have since learned there is much more pleasure in shooting handguns 800-1000 fps. :D

My experience has been no noticing of leading.

Model A Uzi’s
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

I did not notice any increase in sound with my magnaported .308 or .338.

Where I did see an increase in sound and sideways muzzle blast was with adding the muzzle brake on my daughters 7mm Weatherby Magnum. Blows dirt and papers off nearby benches at the range and makes no friends there either. Shot a deer once from a cedar tree blind and it defoliated several limbs and she could not hear for over an hour. She now removes the brake when hunting.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I was one time slightly behind CRS son when he took a nice blackbuck on a game ranch in Texas with the .308 caliber model 70. No, I didn't notice any difference in noise than with any other rifle in .308. In fact, I didn't realize it was ported.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The big thing with muzzle brakes is that the holes are angled away from the shooter. That helps to reduce felt recoil. I made a number of brakes that I tested on my Ruger Mk2 10". I finally settled on holes drilled 20° off , this setup has almost no muzzle rise. Yeah it's only a .22 but you would be surprised how much a .22 jumps around.

Porting is for shotgun barrels.
Porting or muzzle brakes make the noise change direction, it appears louder depending on where you are, have a roof over head.
Most folks either love em or hate em!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The 1895GS? The noise was brutal, and no reduction in recoil that I could perceive compared to an 1895 Cowboy and 1886 EL.
The S&W 629PP, Power Port, factory ported, is a bit tamer to shoot compared to a few Ruger single action .44 mags I've had. It "might" be a bit less noisy, as well. YMMV :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV