.44-100 paper patched bullets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

.44-100 paper patched bullets

Post by marlinman93 »

I spotted a fella asking about these bullets almost a year ago on another forum! I sent him a PM to see if he might sell a box, since he had 15 or 16 boxes of them he'd found. Then two weeks ago he finally got back to me and we did a deal to buy a box!
The .44-100 Ballard cartridge was never commercially loaded as a complete cartridge! It was only offered as new brass and bullets by Union Metallic Cartridge Co., for the #7 Longrange Ballard model. And the .44-100 #7 Ballard was only offered in 1875, and was changed to the #7 in .45-100 Ballard the next year. So locating NIB bullets is getting towards miracle status! I own a first year #7 in this caliber, so tickled to death to find these!

My #7 with an 1890 Scelsi Longrange 30x spotting scope.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: .44-100 paper patched bullets

Post by Sixgun »

Wow! I thought I've seen every type of collectors ammo out there but that's a new one for me. Exceptional condition along with proper storage as I don't see any oxidation on the lead...even the paper is still white.......(did you just make these? :D )
You ..and the seller.....most likely have the countries sole inventory of these.

I have similar boxes in my collection but in common calibers. A few are still factory sealed. ----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Sixgun wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:59 am Wow! I thought I've seen every type of collectors ammo out there but that's a new one for me. Exceptional condition along with proper storage as I don't see any oxidation on the lead...even the paper is still white.......(did you just make these? :D )
You ..and the seller.....most likely have the countries sole inventory of these.

I have similar boxes in my collection but in common calibers. A few are still factory sealed. ----6
Yeah, I have a number of other bullet boxes in common calibers too! I was pretty excited when he finally got back to me and offered to sell some to me! Wish I could have afforded that wrapped 10 pack of the same! That would really be cool to own! I'll settle for this one and be very happy!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Vall, this is one of those circumstances where I would be sorely tempted to carefully remove and preserve a patch for study and a template, and send the naked bullet to Steve Brooks for a mold or to Dave Corbin for swage dies that absolutely duplicate the original. Then I would try to reassemble the patch and bullet and put it back in that box.

8)
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

When I bought my #7 Long Range Ballard it came with an Old West brass mold for paper patched bullets, and a template for cutting patches. I use the paper you graciously supplied me long ago, and it works fine. I'd hesitate to ever take one of these apart, even if I didn't already have a great mold for the gun!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That is some well preserved history there.

Remember the part in the movie Quigley down under where he needs some ammunition loaded and the German gun maker says he needs to make a mold. Quigly tells him he can paper patch the .455 Webley bullets and they will work. Someone in that movie knew their stuff. Just a little research and you can find lots of rounds which were paper patched. The reported accuracy was exceptional.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

piller wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:32 pm That is some well preserved history there.

Remember the part in the movie Quigley down under where he needs some ammunition loaded and the German gun maker says he needs to make a mold. Quigly tells him he can paper patch the .455 Webley bullets and they will work. Someone in that movie knew their stuff. Just a little research and you can find lots of rounds which were paper patched. The reported accuracy was exceptional.

I have boxes of original bullets for reloading in some other calibers also. One is marked "JM Marlin" and is paper patched bullets for the .38-55-255 Ballard rifle. They are actually in better condition box, but equally nice bullets and paper. Have some in .32-40-170 also in a Winchester box. And a number of old "metal patched" marked boxes when metal jackets were the new thing!
A friend gave me a box of Tobe Watkins Pope Bullets last year! Tobe made these up off the original Pope molds and sold them back in the 1920's. Probably as rare as the .44-100 box of bullets!

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

piller wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:32 pm That is some well preserved history there.

I'm pretty sure Mike Venturino consulted/advised on that movie. He also won the 1st Quigley shoot in Forsyth
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I personally think the movie people should have changed the dialogue to be more accurate as the 455 Webley bullet is considerably shorter and lighter than what is needed for long range accuracy that was the primary focus in the movie concerning Tom's hits. A short bullet like the Webley is not much good past over a couple of hundred yards.

Maybe thinking, " Well Mr. Quigley, I don't have time to make a mould so what's your suggestion?" Tom replies, "oh shucks, just have Buffalo Arms, in Idaho, USA overnight the proper bullets or "can I borrow your .270 Weatherby Mag?"---6

harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Quigley: You can use a 450 number 2 musket lead.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

harry wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:23 pm Quigley: You can use a 450 number 2 musket lead.
Harry...now THAT makes sense. Yea, how could it have been the webley 455 when that cartridge did not even come about until way after the time that the quigley movie supposedly took place.

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

They should have simply said, ".450 Rigby" instead of .455 Webley.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Lots of good information. The point I was trying to make was that there were available rounds which could be paper patched and made to work well.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost