An old friend returns home.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

An old friend returns home.

Post by marlinman93 »

A number of years ago I wanted to build up a Rolling Block for long range shooting. I decided it would be a .40-65 Win. chamber, and began looking for an action. My late friend Whitey Hanson had an original receiver, and after some swapping I got the action from him. I purchased the Green Mountain heavy full round barrel and had John Taylor fit it. Then cut it to 34".
Another friend had given me the stock blanks when he was near the end of his time, and I shaped and fitted them to the barreled action. My friend Wind Whitehill gave me the skeletonized buttplate and told me he thought it would be perfect for this project gun, and of course he was right!
I polished everything out and sent the action off to Al Springer for color case, and had George Komandine rust blue the barrel. Reassembled the Roller and before I even fired it much, I got into a trade deal on an engraved Ballard and it went away! It then went to the East Coast, Dakotas, and Indiana, before it found it's way home to me again!
Eventually the Rolling Block ended up in the hands of a good friend Steve, who used it successfully for long range matches and shooting. When Steve got it the poor Roller had been treated roughly, and abused! Shipping it several times had cracked the stocks. Then someone swapped out the original hammer and breech block, and the gun's tangs got bent when the stocks cracked. Steve repaired or replaced the action parts, and bent the tangs straight. He then repaired the stock crack, and it's an invisible repair! I told him if he ever wanted to sell it I was a buyer, and at our recent memorial shoot for Wind he offered the Rolling Block back to me. I'm pretty sure he wasn't done with it, and will miss it. But he knew how much I'd enjoy having it back and sold it to me at the shoot. He also brought loads with it so I could shoot it again before heading home with it! It was a great feeling to hear the old Roller hit the 990 yd. dinger, and know it finally made it back home to me!

Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: An old friend returns home.

Post by 2ndovc »

That's great! I know how it feels to get a good one back! :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Yes, since so many of my friends contributed to helping me build this Roller had passed, I was really pleased to have it come back! I might have nicer, or more original guns, but I certainly don't have many that are so dear to me in memories!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

That's fantastic! It's very heart warming you have such history with the dear friends that helped get that ol' roller up and running. I hope you dont let it go again!
I'm sure those gone but not forgotten are smiling down upon you!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Thanks Gunny! And it wont be going anywhere anytime for me! Hope my kids appreciate what it is too, because they'll be inheriting it!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Thanks for sharing!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

She's a beauty MM! Very classy with the wood and the ch.

On an off note....that has to be a sign of getting old...you see it when new, goes around the country, then back to ya. In the last few years I've been cutting down trees that died around here...ones I planted. :D ---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

marlinman93 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:06 pm Yes, since so many of my friends contributed to helping me build this Roller had passed, I was really pleased to have it come back! I might have nicer, or more original guns, but I certainly don't have many that are so dear to me in memories!
That is SO very cool....

Be sure the STORY gets handed down with the gun; too many guns (and other tools) with histories like that just become "some old gun I think belonged to grandpa" after a generation or so.

I wish my 1889 Marlin could talk; I have a photo from around 1891 with my grandmother and her father on a camping and hunting trip, and he's holding that gun.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Awesome All around. :D .
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

AJMD429 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:42 pm
marlinman93 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:06 pm Yes, since so many of my friends contributed to helping me build this Roller had passed, I was really pleased to have it come back! I might have nicer, or more original guns, but I certainly don't have many that are so dear to me in memories!
That is SO very cool....

Be sure the STORY gets handed down with the gun; too many guns (and other tools) with histories like that just become "some old gun I think belonged to grandpa" after a generation or so.

I wish my 1889 Marlin could talk; I have a photo from around 1891 with my grandmother and her father on a camping and hunting trip, and he's holding that gun.
Good idea! I do need to write it all down and put the info where my family finds it! I have files for provenance of guns like my Popes and Schoyens, plus a few other historically significant rifles. But this one needs to be added to the others too!