Broken Extractor Removal

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Broken Extractor Removal

Post by Griff »

Lat time home I broke a mounting bolt on the left step for my JD tractor. while brush-hoggin' back in the trees near the fence line. This trip by the house, I decided it was time to get it removed and a new bolt and spacer fitted. I got the rest of the mounting disassembled and got access to the broken bolt. My son wanted to help. He got the drill centered and he started drilling a 1/8" hole. It was a 10mm bolt, and instead of taking the time to drill another hole, closer to final thread size, he stuck the #2 EZ-Out in there and promptly broke it off.

And yes, it was flush with the end of the broken bolt! I know of one way to get them out... an EDM (Electro Discharge Machine. So... this morning I searched the interwebs... and found a video by a young kid that got his out by using a Dremel and a bunch of stones. A trip to Ace Hardware fitted me out with a selection of stones and a couple grinding steels.

I figured it would take nearly all day... but an hour and a half later I was back at Ace getting a new bolt, spacer and some new rubber grommets for mounting the step to the fender. Another hour & a half, SUCCESS! Now, I can tackle the right side foot throttle! I seldom use it... but since the parking brake mounts thru it, might as well get it working again also. Got that bolt soaking in PB Blaster new... Give it go in the morning.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JimT
Shootist

Re: Broken Extractor Removal

Post by JimT »

I love Dremel Tools! They work great for engraving a Glock frame! :D
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I started using dremel tools when they were just a hobby tool. Now you can get the things large enough to take on any task. But I still find that my original will do wonders. What amazes me most is that the motor hasn't burned out in, what 40 years.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

Congratulations on your removal of the snapped off bolt.

Some of the videos available on the internet are amazingly useful.

Cheers Mark
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The right side was actually stuck worse than the left. I ended up completely drilling out the entire 10mm bolt. Threaded the new hole for 1/2-20, as that will allow me to use the parking brake without putting a bushing and a plastic bushing to use as a rotating bearing between the shank of the 1/2 bolt and the body of the pedal. Farm chores know no holidays... But, it's all set to assemble tomorrow and get to grading the road.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

By the way, a while back I had a busted bolt. I could have drilled and easy outed it, but I found some special "pliers" made just for that task. They are from a company called Vampire Tools https://www.vampiretools.com/. Turns out they are local so I stopped by one day and picked up various sizes. The bolt was out in a jiffy. Now you do need a bit to grab onto, but not much.

They worked out so well they have a permanent place in my tool bag.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad